Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II w/ Chaos Rising
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl with Complete Mod
Fallout New Vegas
F1 2011
NBA 2K11
Dirt 3
Starcraft 2
Devil May Cry 4

They are all great games and I have had fun playing most of them. Granted I have only completed Mass Effect 2 and Portal 1 in their entirety on this list and I have played a bit of all the others, but none of them are drawing me in the same way Mass Effect 2 did the first time. I'm looking for a game that will keep me coming back beyond the first few hours and thus I think that the best solution is finding a game with a great story (but not an adventure game because the gameplay isn't that exciting in that genre).

What are your recommendations? Also, the game should be post 2005 because it is really hard to get into games with really dated graphics as far as atmosphere is concerned.

Thanks.

How about Borderlands? In that vein Bulletstorm might be good for a few hours of shooting, too.

I've also been playing a bit of CivV lately, if you're into strategic games. GTA4 you may also enjoy.

If you're a Diablo 2 fan, then give Titan Quest patched with Immortal Throne expansion a try.

edit: give some "dated" games a chance, though. Some of them were epic and are required PC gaming in almost any era, regardless of graphic quality... like Grim Fandango or Planescape: Torment. I also load up Dosbox with a good rocking game of Star Control II once in a while.

Last edited:
Dragon Age: Origins is probably the standout-choice when it comes to story. Mafia II, Bioshock and GTA4 might be worth a shot, too. You should also get on with finishing The Witcher 2.

I'd recommend Batman Arkham Asylum as well; it doesn't have a great story but it does move at a quick pace, makes brilliant use of the included Batman characters, and is very well written and voice-acted. Plus the gameplay is great.

How about Borderlands?

Recommending Borderlands for a good story? :confused::confused:

Not much of one I concur, but still worth playing... the DLC has some interesting storylines as well, complete with intro and conclusion.

Yeah I love Borderlands. The OP asked for games with good stories though...and I realised that for PC there hasn't been that many. The consoles have had Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, The Darkness, Uncharted 2 and Alan Wake - which all had strong stories - but the PC-exclusives that the OP didn't mention (TW2 and SC2) have been pretty light on story. The STALKERs definitely supply atmosphere and their own lore, but the stories themselves are pretty sparse.

Yeah, you're right about Dragon Age: Origins... playing as a dwarf noble, I was treated to one of the best stories I've completed on the PC in the last six years, plus way-cool combat action. It was really that good. There might be hope with the upcoming Skyrim but I've never been able to get into the Elder Scroll games.

Have you played the first Mass Effect? I only see you mention the 2nd. IMO the first had a better story.

Yes, I have beaten Mass Effect 1 3 times in the past. I suppose I can try Dragon Age Origins. I remember playing a bit of it on a friends pc as a dwarf rogue but it seems the game is quite biased towards mages. Still, the story was pretty engrossing so maybe I'll give it a shot.

As for the comment about finishing The Witcher 2, I agree. I finished the Witcher 1 preparing for its release but after starting the Witcher 2 I sort of lost interest once I got over the pretty graphics. Mostly because the game was really hard and at the time I didn't have a lot of spare time to devote to such a story driven game like that. I didn't want to start it and then come back to it forgetting what the hell happened. However, I have some more free time now so I may get back into dragon age.

Dead Space 2 had me hooked for a while. You should check it out. You can get into it without playing the first.

FA:NV had a decent story and was pretty fun. Its also relatively short if you just want to go through the main story so you can move on to another game.

How about Borderlands? In that vein Bulletstorm might be good for a few hours of shooting, too.

I've also been playing a bit of CivV lately, if you're into strategic games. GTA4 you may also enjoy.

If you're a Diablo 2 fan, then give Titan Quest patched with Immortal Throne expansion a try.

edit: give some "dated" games a chance, though. Some of them were epic and are required PC gaming in almost any era, regardless of graphic quality... like Grim Fandango or Planescape: Torment. I also load up Dosbox with a good rocking game of Star Control II once in a while.

As long as we're suggesting games with terrible-to-no story, why not play Dead Island or Modern Warfare 2.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R
&
Metro 2033

two of the best if not the best Sci-Fi games/stories to come out in the past decade.

Also I see you have the Witcher 2 installed but no Witcher? Have you played the first one? If not You need to.

With good stories?

Bioshock 1 & 2, apply a FOV fix though because it's so small in that game it made me sick after a few hours

Singularity is good too, but suffers from the same horrid consolefied FOV as Bioshock

All of the STALKER series is good, IMO Call of Pripyat is the best. It's a little slow in the beginning, but if you allow yourself to get into it it's a great game.

The Splinter Cell series is pretty good (Chaos Theory is awesome & has great coop, Double Agent is eh, and Conviction is really out there in terms of the story but it's pretty entertaining and has cool coop)

The Rainbow 6 Vegas series is also okay, but is really good for its coop

GTA IV is also good if you haven't played that yet

Finally I heard good things about the latest Red Faction but I haven't been able to play it yet

Yeah, you're right about Dragon Age: Origins... playing as a dwarf noble, I was treated to one of the best stories I've completed on the PC in the last six years, plus way-cool combat action. It was really that good.
I never finished the game but I though that if you don't play as human you are really missing out on the finale? The ending is substantially better for humans than all other races?

re: Mafia II
Felt short and the plot was essentially left totally open. It was imho unfinished.

Another vote here for Dragon Age: Origins. Not 2, not Awakening.

I only decided to try DAO because of [surprisingly] how much I enjoyed ME2—go for it!

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines has my personal seal of approval.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines has my personal seal of approval.

Yeah, Nov 2004 is close enough. Definitely a great story and highly engaging. Mass Effect 2 and this were two games with very rich atmosphere. I can't think of a 2005+ game that comes close to these in atmosphere.

Persona 3 and 4, I was highly skeptical because they're jrpgs and I'm japanophobic but they blew me away, def worth a try.

Prototype has a good story imo. Graphics are meh but the game play is fun.

Add another vote for Bioshock 1 here also.

Prototype has a good story imo. Graphics are meh but the game play is fun.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Prototype! The little cutscenes when you consume key people are awesome, and you feel like a badass going from building to building eating people.

Dragon Age Origins hands down. One of the best stories in gaming over the past decade

Bioshock was the single biggest reason why I allowed myself to play a role playing game like Mass effect. And I'm glad it did because the ME games are now among my favourite all time games.

So yeah, +1 for Bioshock.

Warcraft 2 and 3.
Starcraft + Broodwar
SC2

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout 3

They are all old, but great stories imo.

SC2
They are all old, but great stories imo.
wat

If you like love stories and magical plot devices that come out of nowhere and mindless, emo space rangers, then SC2 has a good story. If you like decent writing, then you'll realize Metzen produced a horrible B-movie story. Granted, SC1's wasn't that good either but BW did have a really good story.

HL2. was released late 2004. Ep. 1 (2006) isn't the best, but it advances the story and Ep. 2 (2007) is one of the best FPS games of all time.

KoToR 2: TSL with the Restoration Content mod.

The game came out in 05. The mod came out in 2010 or 2009. Good story. Fun gameplay.

Back