Recommend me some new Wi-Fi Hardware

smell

n00b
here's my situation:;

currently, I have 4 computers (2 desktops, 2 laptops) that are all on a 802.11b network in my home. I have had this setup for several years now and it has been working fine, but recently I have been losing connection on some computers that are farther away from the gateway. The other day no computers except the one right next to the gateway got any internet, though the laptops worked when brought into the room. I spent several hours trying to fix this, and after some time with techsupport I got most of the computers working again, except the desktop I am on now. It gets internet, but only in like 10 minute intervals, which is terrible. Also, it only connects to the internet after being on for about 5 minutes and then a restart (this one majorly stumps me).

Anyway, I have decided that it is time to upgrade my network. I'm thinking the next best standard is 802.11g? If so, what brands are good? If there is something else I can do, I welcome the the help.

I did some research, and from what ive seen in reveiws about Access points/ routers/ gateways, they end up being useless and broken. I dont know why, but reasonably prices ones seem to stop working. For that reason, I just bought two client cards and use Ad-hoc mode.

Microsofts routers (ive read they run on windows CE, its no wonder why they fail) are rated low for reliability.

802.11a is good if there are interference problems (phones, bluetooth...). But being at 5Ghz, it does not penetrate walls very good.

802.11b/g are fine for me. None of my neighbors use wifi, so I get very good signal strength in my home. My actual speed when connected at 54Mbs and about 8 feet away from the other computer, is around 20Mbs. In B mode, I get about 9Mbs connected at 11Mbs.

There is some thing called "turbo" mode, which is up to 100mbs or 72mbs. If I remeber right, it uses two channels at once.

There isnt really a "Good" brand of client cards. Sure, Orinoco golds are nice, and $20,000 cisco cards are fine, but cheap $15 "G" cards like RaLink make fairly reliable hardware. Just because it has a well known name like "microsoft" or "netgear" does not mean its built like a rock.

As for an internet router and access point, depending on your skills, a linux computer might be an option.

alright, that helped a lot. I think I am just going to go with a cheap 802.11g network, I don't have the skills for the linux, and when I read the board FAQ here, and it said:

Ad-Hoc networks with more than 2 nodes can have strange hidden problems where “A” may see “B” & “C” but “B” cannot see “C”.

Since I am going to have four computers on this network, I'd rather not deal with that.

anyway, thanks again. :)

Back