Recommend me an somewhat inexpensive managed gig switch

jadams

2[H]4U
I know, gig switches are not exactly cheap to begin with.

Looking for something with 24 ports at least.

You can usually find some second hand Dell Power Connect 2724's on eBay for relatively cheap (~$80-$150). I am personally on the hunt for a Linksys/Cisco SRW2048 for the house.

I'd go with either the HP Procurve 1810G-24 or the Dell Power Connect 2824

You can get the Dell Power Connect switch through the Dell Small Business center for $269 right now.

I would absolutely recommend the Dell PC 2824 over the HP 1810 right now. Usually HP is my one stop network shop, however the 28xx series does more then the V1810 and costs less.

Only issue with the 2724 verses the 2824.

The 2824 has more monitoring options, supports STP and has loop prevention detection.

One more difference.....Although both manual states both supports jumbo packets up to 9000k..... in reality.....

The 2824 can handle 9000k packets, but not 9014k packets....which is an issue with some nic cards when jumbo frames is enabled.

The 2724 can not actually handle 9000k packets, packet sizes under 6000K seem to work fine.

Apparently on CDW the SG300-28 there is a $200 rebate.

We're working with our sales rep to match the $560 price at Tiger.

could end up getting it for $360 plus shipping.

Last edited:
PowerConnect 5224 can be found on eBay for under $100 including shipping. Hard to find something wrong with them.

PowerConnect 5224 can be found on eBay for under $100 including shipping. Hard to find something wrong with them.

Points at rack :) have one and like it :)

Just ordered a 24V blower fan for it, yes 24V so it runs at half the voltage, as the base voltage for the fans is 12V.

Will post pictures this week of the mod.

Mines missing the rack ears :( wish i could find a set :(

Last edited:
Only issue with the 2724 verses the 2824.

The 2824 has more monitoring options, supports STP and has loop prevention detection.

One more difference.....Although both manual states both supports jumbo packets up to 9000k..... in reality.....

The 2824 can handle 9000k packets, but not 9014k packets....which is an issue with some nic cards when jumbo frames is enabled.

The 2724 can not actually handle 9000k packets, packet sizes under 6000K seem to work fine.

For a general home user does the Loop Prevention, STP and 9000k packets matter? I am trying to research how important they are. I just want to have a switch in the house to connect all our devices, PC, PS3, TV's, Bluray players etc. I am thinking the 2724 is more than enough, but I don't want any issues or slow down.

Thanks!

For a general home user does the Loop Prevention, STP and 9000k packets matter? I am trying to research how important they are. I just want to have a switch in the house to connect all our devices, PC, PS3, TV's, Bluray players etc. I am thinking the 2724 is more than enough, but I don't want any issues or slow down.

Thanks!

Loop protection only matters when someone plugs something in incorrectly error.
STP only matters if you are explicitly using it to gain throughput.
Large packets only matter if you are using a SAN or some other type of mass data transfer protocol. Vware connected to a NAS acting as a SAN....etc

Back