Recommend me a tablet

Maddnotez

Limp Gawd
$250 or less preferred.

Was looking at the Ipad mini2 but the 1 core CPU scares me.

This is for my kid who will pretty much use it exclusively for games and apps but who may watch youtube once in a while. I pretty much want something with a good amount of storage so he can download a bunch of games and also something that is fast with good cpu and memory on a budget.

The last one we got him was a Navi Dreamtab and while it was really awesome, the storage was weak and after a while it started running very slow and freezing up. Eventually it stopped working completely. Want something that will last longer than a year or 2.

any ideas?

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

Might find a refurb for around $250. New is closer to $300. It has microSD so he can pop in up to a 128GB card.

Games? Get a shield. It's not as nice for watching movies and general stuff, but it excels like no other for gaming.

I've got a Tab S2 9.7 myself and I mostly watch movies/shows/anime on it. It's excellent for that. But it doesn't compare to my sons shield with the controller. Bluetooth controllers suck in general but the shields wifi special controller is solid.

I've got a Tab S2 9.7 myself and I mostly watch movies/shows/anime on it. It's excellent for that. But it doesn't compare to my sons shield with the controll

Didn't know about that. Seems pretty cool. Looks like it uses the Android market? So it will still have all the free games and apps as a regular tablet?

Didn't know about that. Seems pretty cool but does it have the play store or android market? He is 6 and mostly plays the free kids games on our phones. Not looking for a Steam membership with a ton of paid games.

It runs marshmallow 6, so yea full android.

Shield tablet k1 will probably get Android 7 and it is about as close to the same experience as using a flagship phone as I have founI. I would liken it to the speed and responsiveness of my moto x pure or my note 3 and it has a SD card slot. Though he is 6 I would look at a nexus 7 to be honest you should be able to get one for under 150 and they should have good case choices. If we were talking teen then something like the shield or Samsung would be my suggestion.

The iPad Mini 2 is a dual core A7, same as a iPhone 5S. The iPad Mini 3 is pretty much the same as the 2 except for the addition of the Touch ID sensor. I'm running iOS 10 on mine without a problem.

Shield tablet k1 will probably get Android 7 and it is about as close to the same experience as using a flagship phone as I have founI. I would liken it to the speed and responsiveness of my moto x pure or my note 3 and it has a SD card slot. Though he is 6 I would look at a nexus 7 to be honest you should be able to get one for under 150 and they should have good case choices. If we were talking teen then something like the shield or Samsung would be my suggestion.

Over a $200 shield? For gaming? That is crazy.

Over a $200 shield? For gaming? That is crazy.
But he is not talking borderlands or high end gaming he is talking child's games. And as someone who owns a shield it is rather heavy and has some issues with durability and I find mine is rather buggy. If the kid who was going to be using it was like 12 yeah shield all the way but since the kid is 6 a lighter more durable tablet that can be more easily replaced is why I suggested the nexus. Nvidia is abandoning the tablet product line while the shield tablet is still a good tablet once it goes will that's it for support and it is not the easiest tablet to acquire either...

It is really important to note for (kids) - quality of iPad apps is not even remotely close to Android (tablet) apps. My Gf discarded her old ipad and got a new cheap android and even she noticed that difference.
If you could get a decent used iPad at that price, i'd highly suggest it.

You are definitely going to find wayyyy better apps for kids on the app store. I am not talking about mobile apps upscaled here but for the apps specifically built for ipads/tablets.

Back