Recommend me a small buisness grade wireless router?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
hey all.

okay, no PC with nics and some nix flavor, i want a done packaged deal..

I want to purchase a reliable yet failry secure wireless router for a new office location,it will have 3 daily laptops connecting to it, and others on other days.

i want security, i want to be able to block things like p2p and all that jazz not just at the port level but application level is possible...

i was checking out some watchguard series ones (http://www.watchguard.com/products/x10e-w.asp ).... any other suggestions for me?

We have some of the bigger firebox units at clients that are supported by the t1 provider. Seem to be working fine for that they have used them for.

Personaly I would look at a cisco 871w with the enhanced firmware.

Check out the Sonicwall TZ190 Wireless.

It's a wireless router that does IPS, content filtering, forced antivirus, and allows you to install one of those cellular 3g network cards for WAN failover..

I've setup a couple and they seem pretty darn good. Make sure you get the "enhanced" firmware though. The standard is pretty useless..

Riley

I've used Sonicwall quite a bit (manager has a stiffy for them). They are ok, and have never given me any problems. I run a pair of Pro-3060's in fail-over with 15 TZ-170w's for our executive team. They like the ease of use, and the seamless VPN tunneling. Also, their support teams are not stupid, which is a nice bonus ;)

As far as a recommendation, I'd go with The TZ-190. It includes the "Enhanced" OS image, and can do packet inspection with a throughput of 10mbps. You can get the whole shebang with product number 01-SSC-6087. Antivirus/anti-spyware/packet inspection/content filtering AND 3G fail-over capability for about $1000.

http://www.sonicwall.com/us/products/TZ_190.html

However, I can't tell you off the top of my head wether or not it will block packets based on application type. Give them a quick call, and I'm sure they can sort you out.

Sp1nz

Check out the Sonicwall TZ190 Wireless.

Did they ever fix the speed issues with this router?

On of my friends installed one at a client with comcast and it couldn't keep up with it.

Personaly I'm not a fan of the sonic walls av functions. Just haven't impressed me.

Did they ever fix the speed issues with this router?

On of my friends installed one at a client with comcast and it couldn't keep up with it.

Personaly I'm not a fan of the sonic walls av functions. Just haven't impressed me.

I didn't know there was a speed issue. Most of the locations we've put them just have your run of the mill DSL/cable/T1 lines.. Nothing over 10Mbps..

Actually, just yesterday I was visiting with an old co-worker at his office. They just got ~50Mbps fiber and they can't push any more than 25Mbps through their PRO 2040 running content filtering. THAT sucks..

Riley

I didn't know there was a speed issue. Most of the locations we've put them just have your run of the mill DSL/cable/T1 lines.. Nothing over 10Mbps..

Actually, just yesterday I was visiting with an old co-worker at his office. They just got ~50Mbps fiber and they can't push any more than 25Mbps through their PRO 2040 running content filtering. THAT sucks..

Riley

Most of my clients have a few meg lines too but comcast in some areas around here is pushing well over 20 for business cable. As Fios from verizon hits I see it being a bigger issue. Want to say he was having issues with it pushing more then 20 megs a sec or so. He ended up removing it because of that and av issues(mcafee sucks).

>>Recommend me a small buisness grade wireless router?

I like to keep the firewall separate from the wireless gear. That way I can install the best firewall for the situation and the best wireless box for the situation. They are often not the same box. Makes WAP placement more flexible and it's far easier to upgrade just the wireless part as technology improves too.

A wired Sonicwall is fine and then add your choice of wireless routers that can be config'ed as WAPs only.

I 2nd that, or just the 871 for non-wireless. ASA5505 is another great choice.

Generaly I recomend a non-wireless and running a seperate access point. Have yet to install the 871w. Have a few 871s in the feild though. Work great. Use to have one at home but sold it to a co-worker.

opps, guess i wasn't paying that close attention. Didn't see the wireless part. I agree with the above poster, generally I don't deploy wireless routers in a business. However, I still suggest the 871 with a 1131ap.

For this application, it will be feeding 4 computers, 3 of which will be laptops, one is the CEO, myself and a marketing guy, possible once ina blue moon someone else coming into the office from another branch

the cable speed is only 4mb / 1mb, so nothing super high end, i am liking the idea now of 2 seperate ones, i guess just had pas issue with a crapsys AP point never going through the gateway i set up and always dropping connections, i was thinking an all-in-one route.

Back