Recommend Me A Racer

S3th13

Gawd
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a racing game that fits a few bits of criteria I have:

-Highly customizable performance parts
-Huge variety of cars(from a Focus SVT to Ferrari)
-Any type of street, rally, offroad courses.
-New-er game. I really don't want to play something form 2001 with Doom 2 graphics.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Gran Turismo games are going to be the only ones like that. The recent ones have been going down hill and becoming more linear though. Pretty much, I haven't been able to find any new games like that. GRID was a big let down IMO.

GRID was great. The graphics were awesome. The 3 world circuits were fun in their own way(Euro, American and Japanese). The cars were great. The thing I liked the most was the mix of arcade style handling with a dash of sim car damage.

Worth checking out the demo at least.

No huge variety of cars and zero modification though :(
There are several different types of cars, but only a few models in each class.

The game you want is Gran Turismo and its not on the PC. Gran Turismo is pretty much Digital Polyphony's only title and is only on one console and thus gets a lot of time and resources and development for it. Codemasters (makers of GRID) have other games for more platforms and thus Grid is not as wholly encompassing as Gran Turismo.

Another pc title may be Race 07 and its new (standalone) expansion pack GTR Evolution.

The closest thing to that is GRID. However it lacks the car customization. You can change the paint job but thats about it. However it looks phenomenal, good variety of cars, good variety of game modes (demolition derby FTW) and the physics are decent.

Trackmania has everything but the customisation - it only lets you frig with the paintjob.

It's not a serious-face racer, but it does have a huge variety of cars, tracks, and good visuals, so at least that's the last three covered.

Trackmania has everything but the customisation - it only lets you frig with the paintjob.

It's not a serious-face racer, but it does have a huge variety of cars, tracks, and good visuals, so at least that's the last three covered.

Plus it's about the most fun I've had with a racer in a LONG time.

Well what's wrong with racing game developers nowadays? Why can't I have a game with those basic customizations? This whole thread has been a huge dissapointment. But I would like to thank everyone who has made a suggestion and/or input. Except for tuaarita... don't end your statements with "Duh."

Plus it's about the most fun I've had with a racer in a LONG time.

True dat. Wor'.

Playing with the suspension and tyres and differential's all well and good, but if you can't do a loop-the-loop and then shoot out a hole in the floor onto a big berm and hit a jump that corkscrews you through a letterbox in a wall at a bajillion miles an hour I'm not interested.

Okay. Screw the customization. But I really would have liked to see more games with cars that I'm farmilliar with. Which is why I posted a Focus SVT. I looked up the Grid cars list, and all I found were cars that would cost more than I'm going to make in a life time... besides a few(Imprezza, etc). I don't even know what my point is considering its a video game and people only want to drive such cars.

Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport. As far as PC racing games are concerned, I'm playing GTR Evolution right now with a Driving Force GT and it is SUPERB. Puts GT (my favorite series of all time) and Forza to shame. Nordschleife FTW!

PS: Focus SVT kicks ass!! One of the best hot hatches ever made.

PS: Focus SVT kicks ass!! One of the best hot hatches ever made.

I completely agree! I've been looking for one to buy for the past 2 years. I'm only a sophmore in college so money doesn't grow on trees, but I think I'll have enough scrounged up by the beginning-middle of next summer(they go for about $10k for a nice one). The one problem is the insurance though... its ridiculously high due to it being considered a compact car...

Back to the thread: I'll have to check out that Evolution game you recommended.

I completely agree! I've been looking for one to buy for the past 2 years. I'm only a sophmore in college so money doesn't grow on trees, but I think I'll have enough scrounged up by the beginning-middle of next summer(they go for about $10k for a nice one). The one problem is the insurance though... its ridiculously high due to it being considered a compact car...

Back to the thread: I'll have to check out that Evolution game you recommended.

Yea, I upgraded from a Focus ZX3 to a WRX. I wish I had gone with the SVT (especially with the current gas prices). Always wanted a 5-door SVT in Competition Orange with the Euro Appearance Package.... Aaahhhh.... Back to the real world.

DiRT and GRiD both blew goats. Codemasters down't know how to even come close to real world physics, or even decent arcade physics. Those cars are like driving high powered hovercrafts. Need for speed is a better series (historically) than these two, although NFS has fallen off since Most Wanted, IMO...and fast. I'd try Race07, but you'll lose a lot of the pick up and play in this game. you'll have to get used to have your car be demolished frequently unless you've actually had track time. Trackmania is pretty fun, but yeah, no customization. GT is always a blast (I still play GT2 on my PSP), but 5 is still a ways away, and will not be on PC. Forza series is good, but also not on PC. I'd say Forza series is probably you're best bet with what you're asking for in the game. Otherwise, GT on the PS systems, or NFS/Trackmania on PC.

You know what I want, I want a copy of a new kick ass FPS perspective Mech clan game..RIGHT NOW...but we can't have what we want these days, I guess.

DiRT and GRiD both blew goats. Codemasters down't know how to even come close to real world physics, or even decent arcade physics. Those cars are like driving high powered hovercrafts. Need for speed is a better series (historically) than these two, although NFS has fallen off since Most Wanted, IMO...and fast. I'd try Race07, but you'll lose a lot of the pick up and play in this game. you'll have to get used to have your car be demolished frequently unless you've actually had track time. Trackmania is pretty fun, but yeah, no customization. GT is always a blast (I still play GT2 on my PSP), but 5 is still a ways away, and will not be on PC. Forza series is good, but also not on PC. I'd say Forza series is probably you're best bet with what you're asking for in the game. Otherwise, GT on the PS systems, or NFS/Trackmania on PC.

You know what I want, I want a copy of a new kick ass FPS perspective Mech clan game..RIGHT NOW...but we can't have what we want these days, I guess.

DiRT's physics are actually more realistic than you think. GRID was a good game but it's obviously an arcade racer (resembling NFS type physics). As for Race07, it's problem is that most of the cars in there are FWD (except for the 3 series). It comes free with GTR Evo (which itself is $20) so at least it's a good deal.

Okay. Screw the customization. But I really would have liked to see more games with cars that I'm farmilliar with. Which is why I posted a Focus SVT. I looked up the Grid cars list, and all I found were cars that would cost more than I'm going to make in a life time... besides a few(Imprezza, etc). I don't even know what my point is considering its a video game and people only want to drive such cars.

What? Most of the muscle cars in the game are affordable in your life time.

Well if you want more real world cars, then how about these:

* Alpine A110 1600 S Group 4
* AMG Mercedes C Klasse DTM
* Audi A4 DTM
* Audi Quattro
* BMW E26 M1 Group
* Buick Gran Sport
* Caterham 7
* Chevrolet Corvette C5
* Chevrolet Corvette C5R
* Chevrolet Corvette L88 Sunray DX
* Chevrolet Silverado Truck
* Dallara Automobili
* Dodge Charger 4
* Ford Falcon AU (TOCA Race Driver 3)
* Ford Falcon BA (TOCA Race Driver 3)
* Formula 3
* Formula BMW
* Formula Ford
* Formula J-1000
* Formula Palmer Audi
* Gemballa GTR 750 Evo
* GT Light
* Holden Commodore VX
* Holden Commodore VY
* Holden Commodore VZ (TOCA Race Driver 3)
* Honda Ariel Atom
* Honda Civic 2006
* Honda Civic Type R
* Honda Lawnmower 1
* Honda NSX
* Honda S2000
* Honda TRX 250 EX
* K500 Pro Baja Duneracer
* Koenig GT
* Koenig GT-D 5
* Lancia Beta Monte Carlo Turbo
* Lancia Stratos
* Marcos Mantis
* Mari Mk 9 Rotax Max
* Mercedes-Benz W196
* Mercedes-Benz W25
* MG Xpower SVR
* MG ZR Super 1600
* Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV
* Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV v2 Rallycross Car.
* Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Group A
* Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
* Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII Group N
* Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution
* Morgan Aero 8
* Mosler MT900R
* Nismo Fairlady Z S-Tune
* Nissan Dakar N04 6
* Noble M12 GTO-3R 6
* Opel Vectra GTS V8
* Palmer Jaguar JP1
* Panoz Gforce
* Pontiac Firebird Formula
* Racing Renault Clio
* Renault Clio V6 Rally X
* Renault Clio V6 Sport
* Strana Supertruck
* Subaru Impreza 22B-STi Version
* Subaru Impreza 22B-STi Version v2 Rallycross Car.
* Subaru Impreza N10
* Subaru Impreza N10 Group N
* Team Lotus Type
* Thunder Mountain
* Turnham Sandframe M4
* TVR T400R
* Ultima Can-Am 2001
* Ultima GTR
* Vauxhall Monaro
* Vauxhall VX220
* Volkswagen Beetle Baja Bug
* Volkswagen Race Touareg
* Williams BMW FW27
* Williams Honda FW11B
* Williams Renault FW18
* WSC Sprintcar

From Toca 3

If you like hard core racing simulation.
Then I would recommend GTR Evolution.
It actually was just released a few days ago.
I am loving it. It is based on the game Race07.

Another fun one it Test Drive Unlimited.
Its dated but still fun as heck.
Lost of cars, from slow to insanely fast. There are performance shops where you can upgrade. But it is like a kit rather then individual motor and suspension upgrades. (like Gran Turismo)

Like in TDU, I upgraded my Mustang GT to a Saleen S281.
a4d746ede8a865a9861d8fc1dcc34112645747e8.jpg

In reality. I really don't think there is a PC game that is similar to the Gran Turismo/Forza series. I really wish there was though...

I dont know what the car list or the track list are, but Need For Speed: Undercover seems like it fits the (customizable & real world cars) requirements. link

Live for speed is incredibly customizable and real physics, but doesn't feature any real cars and last time I played it the graphics looked a bit dated, but its not your normal racing story game. Oh and GT5 so far doesn't have any customization, really hope they change that.

Back