Recommend me a punch down tool

/usr/home

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm starting to work on more more and networks for work and I'm finding the need for a punchdown tool. (If I'm not mistaken, that's what you need for terminating a cable to a patch panel or a keystone jack, correct me if I'm wrong though.) I'm just wondering what brand I should get. I live in Canada, so I'd like to keep it under a 100 CAN. I'm also not sure about what they mean by blades, like a 110 or a 66. Can someone explain that to me? Basically, I want the best tool that I can get that's quality-made, useful, and will be the best that I can get for my money. Thanks :).

EDIT: Also, what also would you guys recommend for Fish Tape? Brand / Stainless Steel vs Steel vs Nylon?

Last edited:
well a punchdown tool is a punchdown tool, really.
I recommend the impact type.

the different blades are for different punchdown blocks.

this being a 110 blade
10176-000.jpg

this being a 66 blade
10056-000.jpg

the punchdown tool I purchased, got from a Home Depot. Came with both 110 and 66 blades.
Is similar to this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100661784

Thanks for the reply, maybe I didn't explain myself quite well. I'm wanting to build up my toolkit for networking and running cable and everything. I want to do it one piece at a time. From what I've been reading, the Greenlee, Fluke, and Ideal punchdown tools seem to be some of the best that you can get. I think I'm starting to get the 66/110 thing. Patch panels either have 66 or 110 type blocks, correct? Depending on the patch panel, you need a different tip. Is there a more common type of block on panels? I really haven't had to physically wire a patch panel, just the patch to the jack type stuff and crimping RJ45 ends on cable and simple keystone jack work, but not patch panel and I want to learn it.

I'm looking for:
1. Well built.
2. Good brand.
3. Usefulness

Keep the replies coming :).

I use a Fluke Networks D914S punchdown, i like it and it comes with both blades. I use a GreenLee steel fish tape, works good enough for me I think it's the 125' steel model.

you mentioned Ideal brand... now that I think about it and look in my bag, that's the brand of punchdown I got.

It is very nice and has done me well with what little I've done punching down line.

and yes, you are correct that punchdown's are 66- or 110-blocks. Each one requires a different style tip, due to the way the wire fits in.

I like my paladin punchdown tool. It has a clip on LED light so you can see in dark server cabinets too. Plus a storage area for a spare bit. Very comfortable handle. I do 90% of my work on the low impact setting and just some of my work on the high impact setting.

I have this guy, got it at Fry's. Basically, I was a cheap bastard at the time and didn't know any better. I should probably go get a good one now. I've never needed the 66 blade myself. All the keystones and patch panels I've run across are 110, granted I haven't done a whole lot of cabling outside my house.

I have this guy, got it at Fry's. Basically, I was a cheap bastard at the time and didn't know any better. I should probably go get a good one now. I've never needed the 66 blade myself. All the keystones and patch panels I've run across are 110, granted I haven't done a whole lot of cabling outside my house.

66 is for phone.

Fish tape/ Poles

I forget the brands but....

for home use, fish tape is almost pointless. I use fish tape much more often for building conduit. If you do get fish tape, get a 12" flexible leader on the front

I'd get a set of green lee thin glow in the dark fiberglass rods, a roll of florescent string, and a good punch down.

Plus some long drill bits and stuff are helpful.

There's alot to this job.

I've got a set of the Greenlee glow rods as well. Best thing I ever bought for home wiring. They make going up and down the wall very easy.

Fluke all the way for punchdown tools...D814 is basically the industry standard, back from the Harris/Dracon days. I have a D814 and a D914.
I use the Greenlee fish rods and an Ideal steel fish tape. Plus about 100 other tools :)

Don't forget to fill any holes you make with fire resistant foam.

And do know that drilling down walls takes a pretty mighty drill. So expect only an 18V cordless or a pretty decent corded drill to work. And don't forget that there are fire breaks in the walls. So you may need to use something like a 4ft flexible auger bit (preferably with pilot point). If you're just going through floors then a 3/8" high speed 18" drill will do you well.

Honestly, there are a lot of tools that make this job work well. I'm a bit of a tool junky, so I enjoy jobs that require me to buy more tools. :)

Greenlee Nail Eater auger bits are awesome for wood frame construction. Those things will chew through almost any amount of wood. You best have a hefty drill and a good grip on it though. I use a 1/2" corded drill with mine, and if you're not careful it will twist you arm up real good.

That 5 pair tool is one of the few things I DON'T have. I never really run into a lot of 110 block installs around here.

Yeah it's hard to justify having a $120 tool if you use it occassionally.

A single pair tool and a small hammer works too :)
The biggest pain is getting those C4 clips off.

Keep in mind that in Canada we use bix for telephone punch down, not 66. It's another tip to keep track of. Looks like a 110 but with 2 grooves.

Holy old thread Batman. How far I've come since asking that...

Yes, I unfortunately use BIX a lot in this job. Not a whole lot off 66 but a lot of 110. Even for phones as we use 568-A for phone drops.

Holy old thread Batman. How far I've come since asking that...

Yes, I unfortunately use BIX a lot in this job. Not a whole lot off 66 but a lot of 110. Even for phones as we use 568-A for phone drops.

I don't think it would matter much as long as both ends are the same cabling standard but just for random info, 568-C is now the current wiring standard. I'm not even using it, I'm still using 568-B. For what it matters, I love my paladin. Holds the extra blade, adjustable tension, and clip on light for dark areas.

after doing thousands with a screwdriver picked up one at a local place for like $8
Still use a screwdriver mostly unless I am doing a lot at one time.

I have a monoprice punch down. Had an "Ideal" brand one that stopped impacting, you would have to bang it around to have the spring return...

I would get one where you can store a spare in the hand if you are going to do a lot of cables.

I've been doing networking for over 10 years and have had MANY of my punchdown stolen/lost and therefore iv'e tried almost all of them. The fluke d914s is hands down the best in comfort and ease of use when doing a ton of Jacks / panels!!!!!

Back