• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recommend me a PSU please

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
7,500
Hey everyone, I'm so used to speccing out PSU's for gaming builds that this one is really throwing me for a loop. I'm looking to replace the Hale90 850W on my folding rig, because it doesn't need it. The Hale90 will be moving to my other machine set up for gaming.

The specs on the machine in question is an Asus Z9PE-D8 dual socket 2011 with a pair of Xeon E5-2650's. According to my kill-a-watt it takes ~350w on full load at the wall. It will be used for 24/7 folding, so reliability is a must.

It must also have 2x 8-Pin EPS plugs, can not boot without them. Something in the 500-600w range would probably be perfect, but I can't seem to figure out what would be best. Most of the ones not priced at $150+ seem to have people complaining about them.

Any suggestions on what to look at would be great!
 
Can't go wrong with any Seasonic. Rosewill Capstones also seem to get a lot of recommendations, although I have not read up on any reviews on them. FSP Aurums also get recommended. Can't go wrong with the Kingwin Platinum power supplies. XFX is also a good choice, since they use only Seasonic PSUs.
 
They're essentially the same power supply. The Silencer MK III uses the Seasonic S12II platform. The main differences are modularity, fan, and color choice.
 
They're essentially the same power supply. The Silencer MK III uses the Seasonic S12II platform. The main differences are modularity, fan, and color choice.

Shows how much I pay attention. I guess I'll get the PC power and Cooling one, I can get the 600w version at microcenter this friday when I go by for $49.99. Thanks. :cool:
 
Google the power supply model, and search for JonnyGuru or [H]OCP reviews. Hardware Secrets is also another good reference site.

[H]OCP's testing methodology is generally the toughest on power supplies, closely followed by JonnyGuru and Hardware Secrets.
 
Back
Top