Recommend me a Processor for LGA 1155

hazexban

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Messages
3,316
I have an ASUS P8B75 M/C SM LGA 1155 motherboard leftover from a previous build for someone that backed out. Link to it here.

I have also obtained from a coworker a PC he spilled Iced Tea on and it doesn't work. I am going to troubleshoot to see if the CPU is not dead but given the MB is a P8P67 I believe the MB's are the same sockets.

Anyway, I currently have been using my Q6600 underwater OC'd to 3.2.I'd like to upgrade on the cheap. Assuming the CPU
broken PC doesn't work (I still need to take the cooler off to check what it is). What would be the best processor to get that would still be way better than my Q6600? I am wanting to buy used and spend as little as possible on this. Is there good options for less than $150?

I mainly still play some LoL, Rocket League, edit GoPro videos, handbrake, and light photoshop. My PC does most of this without issue but I would love some newer tech on the cheap even if it's not the latest. I am sure I need to upgrade my graphics card as well, I don't even remember what it is but I will update when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

Sorry if I am omitting important info.

 
3570, 3570k, 3770, 3770k. Even the 3570 (lowest I'm recommending) is at least twice as fast as the q6600 in essentially any computing task.

edit: missed your budget. 3570 and 3570k can be had for $150 if you are patient. Check ebay.
 
Keep an eye out for the i5-3550 or 3470 as they are only slightly slower clockrate. Here's a 3550 for $159 shipped i5-3550 Base clock os 3.3, with 3.7 on turbo for a single core. 3570 is 3.4 base with 3.8 turbo on single core. 3570 has quicksync which the lower procs dont have, but I believe you need to be using integrated video to take advantage of that? Maybe someone can chime in.

An even better deal is the 3470 @ 140 shipped, base clocks are 3.2 with 3.6 turbo on single core. i5-3470

I got an i5-3550 for a steal myself, with a 290x it does everything and then some for what I need.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you! I will be tearing down the broken PC to see what components it has and if anything works at all.
 
are not some of these muli unlocked and others not? I suppose theres reasons people dont consider xeons on the socket? just curious
 
are not some of these muli unlocked and others not? I suppose theres reasons people dont consider xeons on the socket? just curious

I run a Xeon in my H67 based media center. Got an E3-1220v2 for $130 off ebay. Its a nice upgrade over the i3-2100 I used to have in there.
 
To update if anyone cares, I got the PC I was given apart and the CPU inside was a 2500k. I put it into a known working motherboard and it boots. I just bought a used z68 board so I can overclock it! The RAM works too and it seems like the graphics card from the PC is working too. I think its a GTX 760. If all works out I got myself a sweet upgrade for barely any money. Thanks for everyone's input.
 
Back
Top