Recommend me a Mechanical Keyboard

Paradoxine

n00b
I have absolutely no clue what switch to get, but I can tell you guys what I use my computer for primarily and this should help you advise me. I wish I had the capital to just buy n keyboards with y switches and test them all, but most likely I'll only be able to purchase one.

In terms of percentages:
Programming - 80%
Writing - Will become alot more prevalent in the future (5%), probably up to 30-35%
Gaming - 15%

Switch Preference
Of course, no one likes a loud keyboard and I'm no exception, but I can type softly as long as I'm not forced to bottom out like this terrible membrane keyboard I'm using. I hear good thing's about all switches really and If it comes down to noise or joy of use, I'll pick joy of use, so I won't immediately reject the 'clicky' blues.

Aesthetics
I absolutely adore the look of the microsoft sidewinder X4 and I would probably buy it if it was mechanical. Other than that, I don't really care for aesthetics, as long as the keyboard isn't shockingly 'bling'. Backlights are a real nice bonus too.

Budget
£130 (Honestly, spending more than £100 on a keyboard is a foreign concept to me, even though I readily spend the 'extra bit' and reject being a cheapskate for inferior products)

I am very partial to my IBM model M. Also, I DO like loud keyboards. The buckling-spring gives an experience like no other keyboard I've ever seen. The Cherry switches I have used just don't seem to compare. All though the IBM does require a bit more force to actually depress a key, nothing compares to the quality. Mine was mfg. in 1984. Still flawless.

I have a 1986 IBM 1390120, and a new Unicomp (otaku), and I have to say I like the Unicomp more than the Model M, if only because the springs are significantly lighter, and the new unicomp makes MORE noise than the '86.

Buckling spring is really the great joy to type on, especially as a programmer. Unfortunately for most office environments they are too loud. You are much better off with something like an MX Brown board, or if you really want a programmer's keyboard, you could topre it up (but that's getting on the border of stupid expensive).

Honestly, I think you're best served by trying something like a Leopold 104 with MX brown switches, which are tactile, yet relatively quiet (for a mechanical switch at least). One can be had for under $100 US. I don't know what they cost in GB or who the seller is, but I am sure the mark up wouldn't be terrible. Otherwise you could get something like a Filco form Keyboard Co. which is based in GB.

Cheers,

You might as well spend the extra 30 and get this Or you can get the tenkeyless version as well.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, but in response to the last poster, £130 really is an absolute upper limit for me. I just can't justify spending anymore than that, but, even more importantly, I don't think it's necessary to pay more than that to be honest.

As a bit of an update regarding switches, I'm pretty sure blacks wouldn't be for me due to my excessive typing. I think reds, browns and blues are the only ones I'd consider now, though the lack of tactility for red's makes me think brown or blue. Assuming I don't care about the noise, which in all honesty is probably true, I play music off my 5.1 system half the day which surely drowns out any keyboard noise, failing that I just purchased a new headset. In any case, blue/brown will be perfect.

I looked into the Leopold 104, great price but when I added shipping and handling it was $56 more expensive. Still in budget, mind, but I'm unsure whether the price quoted included VAT, on other websites you have to sign up, etc, enter card details before they give you the final price. I should have mentioned I live in the UK.

Forget Filco, they're overpriced for what they are. A CM Storm Quickfire Rapid will be almost 1/2 the cost of a Filco and is made by the same OEM, Costar. These come in Blues by default and I suspect if you want good tactile response Blue is where it's at. Browns are nice in theory (I want oh so badly to like them, as I do love quiet) but the "bump" is so much weaker than with Blues that even after a couple months of practice I still bottom out regularly.

Forget Filco, they're overpriced for what they are. A CM Storm Quickfire Rapid will be almost 1/2 the cost of a Filco and is made by the same OEM, Costar. These come in Blues by default and I suspect if you want good tactile response Blue is where it's at. Browns are nice in theory (I want oh so badly to like them, as I do love quiet) but the "bump" is so much weaker than with Blues that even after a couple months of practice I still bottom out regularly.

Thanks for the suggestion! I looked into the keyboard and it seems to be exactly what I want, I even prefer their logo to the windows key, but I don't like the spacebar printing, maybe in the future I can change this out for a blank? Anyway, pretty certain I want cherry mx reds now, the 'lightest' switch seems like It's just what I want. Problem is availability in the UK. Do you know of anywhere I can get it? I've only found Cherry MX Black so far.

They make Quickfires in reds. You can order them direct from Coolermaster's store. Not sure about in the UK though. Unfortunately the red switch version is more expensive (usually about $20 USD more here).

I'd reconsider reds, though, especially if you aren't familiar with them, they're really /too/ light to me and many people. You will bottom out a lot, and there is no tactile bump to help avoid this. Browns are not much "heavier" but at least there's a bump, how ever light. Unfortunately I don't think you can get Quickfires in browns yet.

Yes, you can get a replacement spacebar pretty easily and cheaply.

Hmm.. I'm curious why you're interested in getting a mechanical keyboard. Many people buy a mechanical keyboard because they want to re-experienced the feel/sound they once had on an authentic IBM buckling spring IBM M keyboard; which are relatively loud. In my opinion, part of the whole tactile experience is the sound.

One thing I've learned from experience, if you have never tried any of the mechanical keyboard varieties; and, just basing what you want on recommendations, you may miss out on what you would ultimately enjoy the best. If you want to have what is most popular (doesn't necessarily mean the best), then you can save yourself a lot of time and get a Filco MX brown keyboard. But, if at all possible, you should try more than one type of mechanical keyboard, you might be surprised what you actually enjoy using most. I know I did.

I have absolutely no clue what switch to get, but I can tell you guys what I use my computer for primarily and this should help you advise me. I wish I had the capital to just buy n keyboards with y switches and test them all, but most likely I'll only be able to purchase one.

In terms of percentages:
Programming - 80%
Writing - Will become alot more prevalent in the future (5%), probably up to 30-35%
Gaming - 15%

Switch Preference
Of course, no one likes a loud keyboard and I'm no exception, but I can type softly as long as I'm not forced to bottom out like this terrible membrane keyboard I'm using. I hear good thing's about all switches really and If it comes down to noise or joy of use, I'll pick joy of use, so I won't immediately reject the 'clicky' blues.

Aesthetics
I absolutely adore the look of the microsoft sidewinder X4 and I would probably buy it if it was mechanical. Other than that, I don't really care for aesthetics, as long as the keyboard isn't shockingly 'bling'. Backlights are a real nice bonus too.

Budget
£130 (Honestly, spending more than £100 on a keyboard is a foreign concept to me, even though I readily spend the 'extra bit' and reject being a cheapskate for inferior products)

I would not recommend the Reds, especially if you haven't tried them before. They are very light and keys are easily depressed accidentally. They're good for games which require button bashing but nowhere near as good as the Blues for typing.

As you're mostly programming I think you'd really appreciate the definitive tactical bump of the Blues, yes they are loud and annoying but only to other people ;) I have the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate which is readily available in the UK and fits within your budget. If you don't need backlighting and USB/audio passthrough then the regular Blackwidow is the same but much cheaper. It's actually one of the few Razer products I actually like.

Currently typing of the Filco Ninja Blues, man, they are so nice. I have Filco Ninja Reds as well, and I will use them for gaming, but I'll shift right back to the Blues for everything else.

Meh to xarmor

why not get a blue quick fire rapid, and with the money saved, get some o-rings to quiet the keys a little ( and imo make it feel better)

blues are definitely the best for typists

For the price range... QPAD MK-85. Absolutely gorgeous keyboard. You mentioned pounds in post, so I assume you could pick up a keyboard from Europe.

My roomie has a MaxKeyboards Nighthawk X9 which is an OEM rebrand (or a shameless copy) and it's the best gaming keyboard he's ever used.

I prefer my brand new KBT Pure Limited Edition, but it's a personal taste thing, and it's more expensive.

Please do not get a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate. It is a piece of sh*t build quality wise. I play BF3 a ton and if I hold Shift + either WASD it locks up my character's movement until I am killed sometimes. Nothing like running across open ground and getting stuck standing still in the middle of the road.

When it isn't doing that the keyboard is crazy good with a great feel to it. Unfortunately it happens at least once a day playing BF3 (5 hour sessions). If it didn't cost me $125 I would have thrown it against the wall long ago.

My nephew's Razer Blackwidow Ultimate does the exact same thing. We didn't get the NKRO version because we didn't know it existed at the time and it's only a $10 difference in price. :( Maybe that's what is wrong but regardless stay away from Razer keyboards. My MS Sidewinder doesn't have this problem at all for reference.

The Nighthawk X9 I mentioned previously has true NKRO over a single USB. Thought I would reinforce my recommendation a little.

Deck! My 2 year old Legend linear is still rock solid & I love the cherry blacks.

Back