• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommend me a low-profile HSF

bobsaget

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Messages
4,403
Here's the deal. I'm planning to do a mod like the Apple IMac G5.

applemod.jpg



In order to keep the computer as thin as possible, I will be carefully selecting my parts.

I'm thinking of going with an mATX mobo with onboard everything (no PCI/AGP cards). I'll be getting a shuttle PSU too.

I'm also thinking of getting an XP-M. I probably won't be overclocking, as heat will be an issue with this project. I could underclock too, if necessary.

Since the HSF will be the tallest component in my case, what is a low-profile HSF that would cool an Athlon XP-M (lower in height from AMD's stock coolers)? I was thinking a laptop HSF, but having never seen the inside of a laptop, I could be way off the mark.


Thanks.
 
Just nab a 1U server heatsink, laptop heatsinks tend to be a p.i.t.a. cause they have special heatpipes and ducts designed to route air wherever specificly for that model. It would probley work for you but a server heatsink would do the same thing a lot easeir. frozencpu has 3 1U heatsinks for Socket A you could look at.
 
MrMitch said:
Just nab a 1U server heatsink, laptop heatsinks tend to be a p.i.t.a. cause they have special heatpipes and ducts designed to route air wherever specificly for that model. It would probley work for you but a server heatsink would do the same thing a lot easeir. frozencpu has 3 1U heatsinks for Socket A you could look at.
Thanks a lot!


Those are exactly what I need. ;)
 
Yeah, but almost 50 dB? that's pretty loud. He could probably get a bit quieter fan, unless he wants to undervolt it.
 
bobsaget said:
Thanks a lot!


Those are exactly what I need. ;)

i'd stay away from 1U heatsinks if the machine is to be used by non-deaf people.. or people who don't wish to become deaf... since the heatsinks are so small, the fans are little screaming high pitched bitches... very uncomfortable to be around for extended periods of time...

since you're getting a shuttle PSU, perhaps you could look into the shuttle ICE cooler... it's very low profile at the cpu socket, then has a few heatpipes, and a normal sized heatsink in a remote location
 
Back
Top