Recommend me a Headest

overlord20

Gawd
Okay, My Razer Megalodons croaked on me.. Some stupid firmware issue and they won't replace them due to just over a year out of warranty. I need a recommendation for a headset.

I play a lot of First Person Shooters and watch a lot of movies and tv on my computer. I was thinking surround but I don't know who makes a good surround headset. I have a budget of <$150-125. I was looking at Turtle Beach headsets, Sennheiser PC350, Astro A40's.

Anything you guys can recommend greatly appreciate the help.

I do not want separate headphones and mic (Already have this, don't like it for gaming). I am looking for the best headset for the money. had to shrink my price to <$150 do to some unforeseen medical crap.

Last edited:
Skip the headset and just get a good pair of stereo headphones and a clip on mic.

Might sound shocking, but of all the years I've used headsets/mics, one of the best that I'm still using currently is the $20 RadioShack Multimedia Headset.

I shit you not, the sound quality is excellent, and I've even been complimented on the sound and have had people ask, even for podcasting, I use the same headset.

Mic and sound are both truly excellent.

Believe it or not...

Skip the headset and just get a good pair of stereo headphones and a clip on mic.

This. I have a pair of Sharkoon Xtasy 5.1, but the positional audio isn't worth the sound quality dump you take with your average "gaming" headphones. Pick up a set of ATH-M50 and get a desktop or clip on mic.

Just get a midrange pair of Sennheiser's, they do gaming headsets with good quality sound and boom mics for pretty reasonable prices. if you get the USB ones you don't even need a soundcard you can just plug them in to any PC and get audio.

I can suggest the Sennheiser PC350s - I have the Xense Edition modded version and they sound great. I also have a set of Astro A40s and they sound good as well, but I can't directly compare the two as I plug the Senn350 Xense directly into my Xense sound card and the Astros into the Astro MixAmp which is connected solely by USB to act as a secondary sound device, not a primary. I really should give them a subjective test, side by side...

I'd stay away from "5.1" headsets that have multiple drivers etc... Dolby Headphone and various in-game options give you more than enough emulated 5.1, 7.1 etc... through of high quality drivers rather than a craptastic array. I'd also NOT buy any headset that exclusively terminates in a USB connection. Rather, get one that either has 1 or 2 3.5mm jacks and you can cheaply pick up a little USB sound card and plug it into that. You can't "undo" it if like the Logitech G35 you pretty much depend exclusively on USB and your computer's drivers, so you have less versatility.

Logitech G35 serve me well.

I had a pair of Megalodons they made my ears way to hot. I couldn't use them, shame too as I thought the sound and comfort wear great! The G35 doesn't seem to have the same bass power as Megalodons, but other than that sound great. And after extended play sessions they are still relatively comfortable as well.

Personally, I prefer to do this:
Speakers : M-Audio Studiophile AV40

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Powered-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM64/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

AND

PS2/PS3 USB Headset
http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/ps3-ps2-usb-headset/25803

I've ran a similar setup like this for years, I even had a receiver and ridiculous 7.1 surround sound set up... but always ran the single speaker headset with Mic.... played BF2 & now BF3 this way, always used Ventrilo, watched ton's of Movies (who wants to wear headphones while in your own room to watch a movie? not I!) and have some good sounding tunes..... not necessarily the most cost effective set up, but is very good for all situations, plus if you have a PS3, you got a headset for it as well.

*PS* I've had the Razer AC-1, 5.1 surround sound headset + the AC1 soundcard that matched it. I've owned the Creative X-Fi Fatality card (1st Gen PCI, not PCI-E) used on board sound, currently have the Asus DG (I think, I know its asus and kinda lowend) have had all sorts of headset configs, 3.5mm and USB styled. I *PREFER* USB vs 3.5mm because the USB versions allow you to split the audio, so you can run your headset at full volume for VoIP and keep your game/movie audio at a reasonable level without forcing everyone else have to hear every gunshot everytime you talk. Also it won't let any ninjas sneak up on you.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It depends on how much you care about your mic quality. I, for one, am sick of hearing people with all kinds of background noise due to shitty onboard microphone port and some crap clip on or USB mic.

But no one ever really reviews microphone quality on these things, so it's difficult to know what you're getting. My Sennheiser PC350 hooked up to an actual discrete sound card sounds amazing. I have zero fuzz or static when I talk on Ventrilo and my voice actually sounds like my voice. A friend of mine recently "upgraded" from his rather beat up PC350 to one of the new Corsair headsets and there was a distinct drop in his microphone quality. Though it's still very good compared to the cheapo mics people tend to recommend around here.

The quality of the microphone port on a system is actually a major factor. If I move my 350 over to my onboard sound's input, I've got all kinds of ridiculous electrical noise and static. My actual sound card is perfect.

If you don't care how you sound on the microphone, then a headset is indeed a waste of time and you should just get headphones and a cheapo mic.

logitech g930. nice and big. i cant wear headsets at all because they all hurt my ears but thats what my wife uses. I got 5.1 speakers

I want to go with a headset and not headphones with separate mic. I liked my megalodons a lot but I have had bad luck with all my razer products.

I have an at2020 usb mic but its big and gets int he way when I am not recording.

So.. Headset with Mic is what I am looking for. Any other recommendations while I am looking?

Whats everyone think of the SteelSeries Siberia maybe paired with a dolby sound card?

Last edited:
senhessier pc 360 is alot better than 350 imo (i prefer open headphones much more than closed) and can be purchased for under 200 on ebay from legit resellers.

the senhessiers are just so much better than anything else

If you must have a true headset then go with either the Sennheiser PC350 or 360.

If you don't care how you sound on the microphone, then a headset is indeed a waste of time and you should just get headphones and a cheapo mic.

This of course depends on the 'cheapo mic'. I've owned plenty of headsets over the years and the thing that has lasted the longest is a desktop Logitech mic with a pair of good headphones. I've heard my voice many times over the years due to testing it out, or good ol' reverb from a friend's speakers, and it's always been good quality. I've never had a headset last longer than a year even while taking good care of it (though admittedly I've never paid more than $80 for a headset). I've had this setup for around two or three years now. Like the above poster mentioned, I recommend going with a good pair of headphones and a clip-on or desktop mic.

Edit:
I want to go with a headset and not headphones with separate mic.
Oops, didn't see you say this until I posted. Any particular reason why?

Headphones + desk mic FTW. I've got a Labtec mic that I've abused for nearly 10 years and it still works perfectly. My current headphones are Sony MDR-XB300s. They sound great, and are extremely comfortable. I tried on a pair at Wal-Mart and bought them on the spot. You can barely even tell that you have them on for the first couple of hours that you wear them.

For the money, nothing can beat a desk mic and a good pair of headphones. Sound quality on pretty much every gaming headset pales in comparison to a good pair of stereo headphones. For $200, you can get an awesome sounding pair of headphones, or a mediocre sounding headset.. your choice. There really is not a downside to having a pair of regular headphones and a desk mic. In fact, I find it more convenient because I don't have a boom mic dangling in front of my face all the time.

Last edited:
Curious, what does "A good pair of stereo headphones" do? Will I be able tells sounds from 6 o clock? 8 clock? Or does the surround have clear advantages over stereo?

Surround headphones are highly regarded as "don't waste you money" items. Never really accomplishing what they advertise.

Focus on GREAT stereo quality(senn's come to mind) for your headphones. If you really need positional audio(note: you don't) get a sound card with dolby headphone to help out.

If you really, REALLY need positional audio invest in a 5/7.1 speaker system and a good card/amp.

Curious, what does "A good pair of stereo headphones" do? Will I be able tells sounds from 6 o clock? 8 clock? Or does the surround have clear advantages over stereo?

Most games use some sort of virtual surround to make it easier to judge where a sound is coming from when using stereo. In my experience, a good pair of stereo headphones and a game that does virtual surround well works out much better (and sounds much better) than a pair of surround headphones. The speakers inside surround headphones really aren't far enough apart to produce good surround sound.

This of course depends on the 'cheapo mic'. I've owned plenty of headsets over the years and the thing that has lasted the longest is a desktop Logitech mic with a pair of good headphones. I've heard my voice many times over the years due to testing it out, or good ol' reverb from a friend's speakers, and it's always been good quality. I've never had a headset last longer than a year even while taking good care of it (though admittedly I've never paid more than $80 for a headset). I've had this setup for around two or three years now. Like the above poster mentioned, I recommend going with a good pair of headphones and a clip-on or desktop mic.

Edit:

Oops, didn't see you say this until I posted. Any particular reason why?

Because I already have a studio mic and headphones as well as speakers so I don't need another mic on my desk. I want a new headset because I like a single cable for starters and I don't have anything sitting in front of me on my desk besides my keyboard. Its also easier for me to travel with a headset and its easier for me at LAN Parties.

sounds like you don't really need a new headset if you've already got a studio mic and headphones..

just get a cheap one for traveling..

sounds like you don't really need a new headset if you've already got a studio mic and headphones..

just get a cheap one for traveling..

I didn't think this was going to be so hard..

Looking for a HEADSET not a mic and heaphones I have that and why I don't use it for gaming is my own personal preference. I hate having extra things on my desk when gaming.

I have around $125-$150 due to unforeseen medical crap that took place today. (I need to not injure myself anymore).

I am NOT an audiophile so Spending ~$200 on a great sounding pair of headphones would do me no good. I just need clear sound and mic on the headset.

There are a lot of good recommendations in this thread and I will be checking out every single one of them and attempt to find which ever one I like best in price range if possible. I really liked my Megalodons and thought they sounded good. I just hate the quality of the headset because it broke just after a year of use.

Last edited:
I used to recommend this to everyone. but the sound quality from the clip on mics are horrible

I guess it depends on what you get. I've had standalone mics that were both good and bad, and I've used headsets that had good and bad mics - so it goes both ways. I guess I should be clear that I meant a separate mic, not necessarily a clip-on. Plus, the mic sound quality is everyone else's problem - not mine ;)

What is everyone's opinion on the Steel Series Siberia V2? It seems to have gotten a lot of decent reviews especially for the price point (which is looking good after todays events).

GOOD NEWS!

I just plugged it in again to make sure before I started ripping the thing apart and it works. (Before it wouldn't work in any USB port, now it will work in all but one). I don't know what happened but the USB port it was in tested fine and it did the same crap on my netbook.

Ohh wells. Happy camper here!

/end thread

hahaha...well, in case they go bad on you again, let me give you my suggestion. Don't get a headset, just use a pair of stereo speakers and an additional desk mic. That's what you want.

I'm currently using Turtle Beach surround sound headset and mic. I've had them for several years now. I've had people compliment the quality of the mic over vent.

get a "cheap" set of HS1 USBs, cant complain, they've worked far better than more expensive brands. They are very comfortable, and they are built pretty tough.

Corsair HS1A. The best I've had, and I've gotten dozens throughout the years (disclaimer: always gaming oriented with an attached microphone).

I can only wear "behind the head / over the ears type. So far the most comfortable pair i've owned have been logitech g330.

However, the sound quality is meh, mic quality is ok. The other day the head band broke although clear package tape is holding them back together fine, im in the market for another behind the head type headset.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/5848

Back