Recommend me a hard drive

HardUp4HardWare

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi,
I boot off SSD,
I am looking to get rid of the three random hard drives and put 2 maybe 3TB drives in.

I will prolly Mirror (RAID 1) so I will get faster reads and redundancy.

That being said, what drives should I consider?

I could probably live with 2TB, but I am thinking ahead I guess.

I want reliability, decent speed and reasonable cost.

Thanks,.

Sorry OP, threadjacking. Came here to ask the same exact question. Running out of room on my 1TB drives - boot off of 1TB SSD. Moderately fast for Steam/Origin games. Need a pair of reliable 3+TB drives and maybe a external drive for photos.

Brand and/or model recommendations? Thanks!

Looking for the same... need extremely reliable moderately high-density HD's...

Seagate makes a NAS/Enterprise series of drives that supposedly last longer or are designed for 24/7 usage as opposed to their Desktop class of drives.

WD makes the Red series.

Toshiba and Samsung I also know have enterprise stuff... I just need it to be extremely reliable and at least moderately fast. 3-4TB is plenty.

HGST or Toshiba retail drive. Don't get Toshiba OEM ones. They have a very high failure rate due to shipping issues.

How can you tell a Toshiba retail drive from OEM? It used to be OEM came in retail packaging, but most computer stores now sell drives in the silver antistatic bags indicating they are OEM, no?

Maybe with the latest sales, retail is a little more expensive for us poor suckers up here in Canada unfortunately.

for whatever reason Toshiba retail has always been cheaper/same as bulk for as long as i have looked at them.

Back