• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommend me a DAC

450

Fully [H]
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
20,977
I'm looking for a DAC to take an S/PDIF signal via optical from my Apple Express. I'm not looking for a USB DAC. I'd also prefer the DAC to support 44.1 natively.

I'm okay with DIY options as long as there isn't and SMD soldering involved. The budget is small, as I don't want to spend more than $100.

My Setup...

Macbook Pro or Self-Built Desktop
--> ALAC files in iTunes
------> Airport Express
----------> [DAC goes here]
--------------> Marantz 2226b (pre-amp duty)
------------------> Adcom GFA545 mkII
----------------------> Magnepan MMG (I don't use a subwoofer in my apartment)
 
So am I!. If you are looking for a DAC to decode a dolby signal, I don't think those exist. You either have to buy a dolby receiver with pre-outs or something like the Outlaw 990/970.
 
I'm not looking for DD/DTS decoding. Just something that'll provide better sound than the Express's own output.
 
So am I!. If you are looking for a DAC to decode a dolby signal, I don't think those exist. You either have to buy a dolby receiver with pre-outs or something like the Outlaw 990/970.

So are you running MMG's or are you looking for a DAC w/an Apple Express?

I had a china "noodle" DAC for awhile that was superb. It's very fun for modding too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-version-24...ultDomain_0&hash=item255a76f04a#ht_7113wt_854

There's a pretty big thread on head-fi about this DAC.

Hmm... I'm thinking about this DAC. I'm a bit hesitant to buy a Chinese DAC because I've read some people weren't satisfied with the Zero DACs (reliability issues?).
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
don't want to spend more than $100

"If you pay peanuts you will get monkeys..."

For your present budget, you're best going for something like the ZeroDAC or something similiar...

If you can afford a bit more, then the Musical Fidelity V-DAC is half decent...
 
"If you pay peanuts you will get monkeys..."

For your present budget, you're best going for something like the ZeroDAC or something similiar...

If you can afford a bit more, then the Musical Fidelity V-DAC is half decent...

I CAN spend more. I just didn't want to! :p

I'll up the budget to $600. I'm hoping my Adcom amp and MMG's are resolving enough though. I decided to get a sub and got an Energy S8.3 subwoofer for ~$140 shipped.
 
I'd consider the Maverick Tube Magic D1. Another popular head-fi dac. Bonus is that it has a pretty good headphone amp section in it too.
 
I misinterpreted your post to mean that you wanted a Dolby surround DAC.

You actually have a use for a stereo DAC. Amazing.

If you were thinking about going to surround, I'd get an Outlaw 990/970 on ebay. Otherwise good luck wading through the world of Hi-Fi lies, deceit, and very firm subjective opinions.
 
Back
Top