Recommend me a cheap CDRW that isn't Lite-ON

Master [H]

2[H]4U
Basically, I'm getting sick of the trouble between Lite-ON drives and the nForce 2 chipset/drivers. I want something cheap that doesn't have issues with the nForce 2. I'd like a 52x like my Lite-ON, but it's not necessary.

I'm not looking to spend more than $30 USD.

LiteON's are perfectly fine with nForce 2. Just don't use the SW-IDE drivers. They break more things than they help.
-Mavvy911

I'm with Mavvy911, the Nforce SW IDE drivers screw things up bad, not just LiteOn drives either. As long as you don't install them the LiteOn drives will work fine. Both my sister and my friend have a 52x burner with an Abit NF7-S, no problems at all.

Yes, but I was using the standard IDE controller driver, and they still don't work.
I even put it on one of the channels on a separate ATA100 card I have in my system. It still doesn't work. It's worthless to me, if I can't see what's in the drive, the drive has a disc in it and won't eject it, and will lock the PC up while playing back discs.

I'm runnin Memorex 52x24x52
Never a coaster and pretty good prog package and never a problem with my board

Master [H] said:
Yes, but I was using the standard IDE controller driver, and they still don't work.
I even put it on one of the channels on a separate ATA100 card I have in my system. It still doesn't work. It's worthless to me, if I can't see what's in the drive, the drive has a disc in it and won't eject it, and will lock the PC up while playing back discs.

Wow, that's messed up. What motherboard are you using? Generally speaking, using an optical drive on a PCI Ide controller won't work.

-Mavvy911

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.
I have used optical drives on this controller before. They didn't run as fast, but they did work.
I ordered a Samsung, since their CD-ROM drives have worked great for me in the past.

My Plextor 12/10/32A still going strong after many years and works fine on my NF7-S.

OPUS1 said:
I'm runnin Memorex 52x24x52
Never a coaster and pretty good prog package and never a problem with my board

Most likely a Lite-On rebadge ;)
LG CD writers are good too.

Back