Recommend me a case for a file server

unhappy_mage

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2005
Hello all,
I'm looking for a case to move my file server into. I'm using a Supermicro 370DER, which is just larger than 12x10, so it requires EATX support. I'm planning to move to a different board eventually, but I don't imagine a smaller board will suit my needs. EATX it is.

Secondly, I've got a CSE-M35T-1 hotswap cage, which I'm quite enamored with except for its size - almost 10" deep. I need to fit at least one in this case, and maybe two. Since they take three 5.25" bays each, six 5.25"s minimum is ideal.

However, the huge depth of the cages puts another restriction on the case; the 5.25" bays can't be aligned such that the motherboard tray is close to them. It *is* a 1u board; I'd guess it only needs an inch and a half of vertical room. However, it still needs that room. Here's a picture of what I mean:
case-problem.PNG

As you can imagine, there are basically two ways to solve this problem: get a really, really deep case, or get a fairly wide case with the 5.25" bays off to the side away from the motherboard.

3.5" bays are not a requirement; I have a 2.5" disk I'll mod a holder for and won't have any IDE disks, and all my data disks will be in hotswap caddies. Thus, no need for 3.5" bays. If the case happens to have them, I won't complain, but I'm not going to spend extra money on them if it's an option.

So. Any suggestions? Cheap is good, but high quality is better. I'd prefer tough to pretty, if it's an option.

checout www.servercase.com thats usually where i get ideas as to where to look for a nice fileserver case...

my stacker works farily well with my DK8n (12x13 mobo) and my dell scsi hotswap cages do cover the board a little but just barely clear it...

Might want to consider something like a yy-0221 I have one and it's certainly sturdy with solid steel construction though the front door is plastic (still not flimsy though).

i think the lian li g70 fits your bill, fits EATX boards, has 6 x 5.25" and since its lian li i'd expect quality. not sure what kinda price your lookin for but based off FLECOM's link to servercase.com $200 looks like a steal. since i dont have the case (yet, plan to once i have $) i cant give a deffinate on how far in the hotswap cage will go but by guestimation IF it hangs over the board tray/backplate it may be by an inch or 2. since you only have 1 hotswap cage now you could put it in the top bays and there shouldnt be any issue with it hanging over

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=204&products_id=4258

I think a Lian Li V2100 or 2000 will fit your needs :) not sure if the drive bays are far enough from the motherboard, but it IS EATX, i think itll work :)

I really like the yy cube rocket733 linked me. It's kind if a long shot... but if there's a version with low-profile stuff on the "motherboard" side it'd be even better. I don't need all the space over there since I'll only have a sata controller in it.

If anyone's got a Lian-Li 2[01]00 sitting around they could measure, could you tell me how far it is from the front of the case to the front edge of the motherboard tray? I did take a look at them but I don't really need the 3.5" bays so it seems like a waste to get such a big case and then not use most of the bottom half like that.

Thanks for the replies!

its 24.6 inches deep. so figure how long the motherboard is, and subtract that.

just checked your link, if the dimensions are right, that should give you about 11-12 inches to spare :D enough for the bay.

plus 14 internal 3.5 inch bays lmfao

As far as I know there's no low profile version of the yy-0221. The left side does have some extra room over there since you're running a 1U motherboard.

You could try a Mountain Mods U2-UFO case, they have versions with 6 5 1/4" bays (not to mention the 9 drive bays inside).

Only real downside is they cost $349+

Back