Recommend me a card

ReconSniper

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title says, I will have my step up gtx295 from Evga this thursday the 22nd. My other specs are in my signature. What I am looking for is a second card that I can use for physics and folding. Basically the best PPD for the buck. I have plenty of power to run anything. Just let me know what you guys think and maybe a link to where I can get one cheap.

AFAIK, the 200 series cards don't play well with non 200s for folding.
I tried a 8800GTX and 9600GT and both would EUE with the new wu's.

So I ended up getting another 280. :D

P.S. I forgot the 9800GT I tried using EUE'd with the 280.

AFAIK, the 200 series cards don't play well with non 200s for folding.
I tried a 8800GTX and 9600GT and both would EUE with the new wu's.

So I ended up getting another 280. :D

Does anyone else have this problem? With an additional 4k plus whatever the 295 will put out, I should be mowing over some people.

Nv cards have often had issues when mixing shader counts.
You are more than welcome to give it a try. but if a card folds well under what it should it won't be a shock.

If you go that route, get the card from a place you can return it easy if this issue pops up.
If it doesn't you need to let us know your system specs so we can mark it down as a know working config.

You are more than welcome to give it a try. but if a card folds well under what it should it won't be a shock.

Its not so much the second card folds slow.
Its more a case of with a mixed 200 and older card build, the second card won't fold at all.
It just errors out every time you start the client.

To minimize the risk chuck a 260 or better in the box along side the 295.

Luck ............. :D

My experience with mixing an 8600GT and a 9600GSO was that if the 8600GT was in the primary slot, its 32 shaders would limit the usable shaders on the 9600GSO - when I got unlazy and swapped them, all 96 shaders would work, and my ppd shot up accordingly. So even though this should go without saying, be sure the best card is in your mobo's primary PCI-E slot!

My 280 was in the primary slot for all the non 200 series cards I tried to fold with.

Back