Current rig is as follows:

E8400 @ 4.2GHz w/ Tuniq Tower 120
Gigabyte DS3L
4GB Mushkin Ascent DDR2 800
Corsair 520HX
X-Fi Titanium Fatality
GDM-FW9012 24" CRT

Replacing: 8800GT 512mb

I don't play at high res, about 800x600 or 1280x800 but I need a solid 120fps+ at all times even in firefights w/ lots of ppl onscreen.

Would getting a 4870 1gb have such results? Would it be worth upgrading from my current card? Any bottlenecks I need to upgrade as well?

I don't use AA or high textures either.

Thanks for the help.

at that low res and not using high settings then why would you waste money on a faster card? even though your cpu is plenty strong you will still be pretty cpu limited with anything faster at the settings you are using especially in a few newer games that utilize more the two cores effectively.

An XFX 5770 1GB for $165 should be fine. The 5770 replaces the 4870 with about the same performance, using a lot less power, running less hot, and will do DX11 when it matters later. It's definitely worth upgrading to from an 8800GT.

If there's any doubt about whether the 5770 will drive your low resolutions at 120FPS+, you might consider the 5850, but they are nearly double the price.

An XFX 5770 1GB for $165 should be fine. The 5770 replaces the 4870 with about the same performance, using a lot less power, running less hot, and will do DX11 when it matters later. It's definitely worth upgrading to from an 8800GT.

If there's any doubt about whether the 5770 will drive your low resolutions at 120FPS+, you might consider the 5850, but they are nearly double the price.
at 800x600 and medium settings I guarantee you that 5770 or any other card is not worth it over the 8800gt. at 1280x800 and medium settings sure it will help a bit but the 8800gt is still plenty strong enough for those settings and a faster card will not make a huge difference. if I severely underclock or overclock my 192sp gtx260 at 800x600 and medium settings the framerates usually dont change much in modern games.

Last edited:
At those resolutions I wouldn't bother upgrading. If I were you, I wouldn't even buy a video card and get a new monitor instead. It's kind of depressing to have that kind of computer and end up playing at 800x600

At those resolutions I wouldn't bother upgrading. If I were you, I wouldn't even buy a video card and get a new monitor instead. It's kind of depressing to have that kind of computer and end up playing at 800x600
look more carefully at his OP and sig too. he has a large monitor but chooses to play at low res and detail for his own reasons.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try the 4870 since the 8800gt 512 is struggling to keep 100fps constant in a 24person TF2 server.

I'm sure that has to improve the fps a bit. If not, I'll take a look at getting a faster CPU.

Also, do you guys think a Q6600 OC'd would give higher fps? I don't know if source games use all 4 cores.

just a question but why would you NEED 120fps?

also id get the 5770.

and no a q6600 would not give higher fps unless source games are already using 100% cpu.

The ignorant thing to do is to post behind me with your personal crap.But I forgot,you did manage to get your 6,265th post.

][F][U][2][;1035229810 said:
The ignorant thing to do is to post behind me with your personal crap.But I forgot,you did manage to get your 6,254th post of crap.
ok thanks for your wonderful and insightful comments. :rolleyes:

I don't play at high res, about 800x600 or 1280x800 but I need a solid 120fps+ at all times even in firefights w/ lots of ppl onscreen.

I have to ask why? I understand some people want to keep playing on a CRT but why do you need 120 fps? And... at those resolutions (as stated above) your CPU is your bottleneck. You can add any video card in your system and you will have very little benefit it you HAVE to have 120 fps. Not sure how much you are willing to spend on your gaming experience, but I would try and see what gaming looks like with a 5770 on a 1920x1200 (or 1080p) LCD monitor and see how you like it.

The only feedback you get from your computer is visual and sound. When I went to a LCD monitor I couldn't believe how much crisp and clearer the visual was. Gaming is so much more enjoyable when you can play on higher resolutions IMO.

5770 would probably be a good choice. It still might be overkill for that resolution, but it's cheap~ish and has a lot of cool new features. Honestly though, if you're gaming at 800x600, an 8800GT is probably good enough, and any slowdown you experience is probably not even related to your video card.

why that low 1994 called they want there resolutions back
a 5770 depending on the game could give you that at much higher res

I have to ask why? I understand some people want to keep playing on a CRT but why do you need 120 fps? And... at those resolutions (as stated above) your CPU is your bottleneck. You can add any video card in your system and you will have very little benefit it you HAVE to have 120 fps. Not sure how much you are willing to spend on your gaming experience, but I would try and see what gaming looks like with a 5770 on a 1920x1200 (or 1080p) LCD monitor and see how you like it.

The only feedback you get from your computer is visual and sound. When I went to a LCD monitor I couldn't believe how much crisp and clearer the visual was. Gaming is so much more enjoyable when you can play on higher resolutions IMO.

There's a good hint in the OP: "even in firefights w/ lots of ppl onscreen". He also mentions in his sig that he's got a HP LP2475 and an Apple 30" Display, so I think he knows what an LCD looks like.

I'd opt for a 5750 myself. Just bought mine for 129, saw a thread for an MSI 1GB for 119. Oveclocked to 870/1340, mmmmm.

Back