• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

recommend me a 2nd lens?

merc141

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
194
I am pretty new to photography, I have a D90 with the 18-105 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens. I wanted something with a big aperture and fast, something that will do well indoor/low light. Either that or some all around useful lens would be good. My budget <$200 or so. What do you guys think?
 
At that budget I would probably go with a prime lens. The 35mm AF-S 1.8 is suppose to be very good for the price (About $200) or the 50mm AF 1.8D which is about $120.

Those are the fastest lenses you will be able to get with that kind of a budget.
 
VR isn't needed on fast primes - that's the whole point of using fast lenses. :p

I'd second the 35mm F/1.8; or if you think you'll be moving up to FF at any point, might want to go ahead and splurge on the 50mm F/1.4.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I also recommend the Nikon 35mm f/1.8g... it's amazing. I haven't taken it off my D60 in months. It's great in low light... and it's always good to own a prime lens.

One thing to note about a prime lens on a D90... a 35mm lens turns into a 50mm lens on a crop-sensor body such as the D90... and a 50mm lens turns into a 75mm lens.

So, you'll have to stand further away from your subject if you use a prime lens on a D90. I shot a bunch of pictures in a bar the other night... and it was difficult to get everyone in frame in such tight quarters. Still though... for that little amount of money, and what you can do with it... get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-35mm-AF...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1268350016&sr=1-1
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I too second the Nikkor 35mm 1.8. It is a great lens, I take it almost everywhere with me.
 
Back
Top