• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recommend me a 27

Droc

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
3,424
I have been running two old samsung 22 screens for years now and Im sick of them.
Idealy Im looking for recommendations on 27 inch screens. I dont know about budget yet, but probably not much, so Im looking to see what people have to suggest so I can make a shortlist. And ones to avoid.
 
Thanks, will be checking these out.....and considering a better videocard as mine probably wont push these at default res.
 
The first question to ask yourself is WHY do you want a bigger monitor.

If you are happy about the ammount of stuff you can get on your screen but want that stuff to be bigger then you can get a cheap 27 inch 1080p screen.
OTOH if you are happy with the size of stuff on your screen but want to get more on your screen at once then you will need a higher resoloution panel.
 

Goldbranch, I believe the Droc was looking for a 27" high-res monitor for his setup. The one you posted is a 1080p TN which isn't exactly what's being sought.

Droc, some other 27" monitors which have great reviews are: Apple Cinema Display 27", HP ZR2740w, Dell U2711, and, as HV43082 pointed out, the Achieva Shimian QH270 or the Achieva Catleap Q270 (the Catleap having better reviews of the two). The two Achieva monitors are cheap for an IPS 2560x1440 monitor, coming in at ~$400 for the base models, while the HP ZR2740 comes in around $750. The Dell and Apple are both around $8-900 depending on what kind of coupons/deals are available.
 
What are you using the monitor for? I just bought a 27" HP 2711x and am extremely happy with it. 5ms response time, gloss finish, deep blacks, no backlight bleed or dead pixels. I paid $290 shipped from amazon a couple weeks ago
 
Don't forget the NEC PA271W. Expensive but a great display.

Yes, I have one myself. But I work in web design and development. Could be overkill if you don't use it professionally, unless you just like to have higher quality things.
 
What are you using the monitor for? I just bought a 27" HP 2711x and am extremely happy with it. 5ms response time, gloss finish, deep blacks, no backlight bleed or dead pixels. I paid $290 shipped from amazon a couple weeks ago

BF3, browsing and movies. I have been using 2 old 22in screens for years and only recently realized how crappy they are.
My budget is under 400cdn so these korean 27in IPS screens look very appealing. Big, high res and great colors. I took a look at one of the ACD screens at bestbuy and really liked what I saw, and from what I heard, these korean ones are very close.
 
I would recommend the HP ZR2740W. Absolutely stunning display for multimedia use. Great colors, blacks, greys, contrast above 1000:1, good response time... The only downside is very, even extremely, agressive AG coatig. Making you want to perform this mod @ http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=164206 and then apply some less agressive coating. But the risk....
 
BF3, browsing and movies. I have been using 2 old 22in screens for years and only recently realized how crappy they are.
My budget is under 400cdn so these korean 27in IPS screens look very appealing. Big, high res and great colors. I took a look at one of the ACD screens at bestbuy and really liked what I saw, and from what I heard, these korean ones are very close.

The korean IPS panels are your best bet given your budget. But bare in mind you will have to accept that they are not perfect panels. They will have either dead pixels, backlight bleed or some other minor panel defect that warrants the A- grade (as opposed to A+). Also BF3 will be very difficult to drive with a GTX 560 at 1440p so you may need to look into a current gen card.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think thats the one Ill go for. ty everyone.
Def pay the $2 extra to get it shipped faster with Green-sum.

Dream-seller is notorious for using some slowwer shipping method which takes between 1 to 2 weeks for his packages to arrive.

With your GTX-560, turn down AA in games and your card will be decent for the short term, but as mentioned prior, you will eventually be looking for an upgrade.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ordered one.

My system runs BF3 at 1680x1050 high and I get excellent frames using my GTX 560. Since this screen is much bigger, would be reasonable to get a second 560 and run SLi to maintain my quality/frames at the higher res?
For sub $250 I dont think I have any more options?
 
Ordered one.

My system runs BF3 at 1680x1050 high and I get excellent frames using my GTX 560. Since this screen is much bigger, would be reasonable to get a second 560 and run SLi to maintain my quality/frames at the higher res?
For sub $250 I dont think I have any more options?

Lack of vRAM is one area you can run into trouble with the bigger monitors. Yes, you could get another 560 and it would help your frame rate but some games at that res can use more vRAM than what your 560 has available.
 
If you are willing, selling your 560 and buying a 7850 would likely be your best budget option, since 7850's have a solid 2GB (which the 680 has proven to be enough at the moment, although not necessarily all that future proof). Depending on what you get for your 560, this really shouldn't cost too much either.

However, if you a) dislike AMD or b) don't want to deal with selling second-hand graphics cards then this option is a lot less exciting :)
 
Back
Top