Recommend HSF for Q6600

Well I just got the Q6600 so I'm going to try the zalman 9700 (since I already have it) first. If that doesn't work cool enough I'm thinking Thermalright TRUE Spirit, if I can find it.
 
Corsair H50 on my E6300 at 2.8GHz. The chip was crap though. Temps and noise are nice and low.
 
The Corsair H50/60 looks very clean but what I like about the towers is that the fan blows air in the direction of the rear exhaust fan.
 
I use a Tuniq Tower to cool an E6600 (2.4GHz stock speed) and Q9450 (3.0GHz OCed). They were a bit expensive when I bought them (~ $50), but I like them a lot. I use Arctic Silver 5.

The highest idle temps on my Q9450 is 40C and highest temp under load is 56C.
 
Yeah I think that towers may be the way to go (for me anyway). Is the Tuniq Tower very lound. I think the Arctic Silver compound may be easier to spread than the thicker Antec compound. Not sure if it works any better though.
 
The Corsair H50/60 looks very clean but what I like about the towers is that the fan blows air in the direction of the rear exhaust fan.

My PSU exhausts near the intake and I have a 120mm fan blowing over the HD. It was the best way for me to acheive positive case pressure.
 
I put in the Q6600, ran it on zalman 9500 (i think). It says Zalman 9000 on base of heatsink but zalman website doesn't seem to sell cnps9000. From looking at the pictures on their site it looks like the 9500. Not sure what temps I will get. What app do you guys use for monitoring temp, fan speed, voltage etc?
 
I swapped out cpu's and I am now using the Q6600. I've done small bit of gaming on computer. COD Black Ops for now. Using the Zalman 9500 (I think) this is what I got from Core Temp.


coretemp2.png
 
Last edited:
Something to think about using the corsair H50 is that it suggests the fan blow cold air inwards. So that means the heat will be blown into the case and the case fans may need to be turned around. The PSU will also have warmer air than usual air being drown through it. All of the other electronics would get heated up to and I don't think that would be a good thing. If the case has enough fans on it that can be turned around the extra heat may no be to much of an issue.

They suggest that *if* you have no fans in the front of the case at all and mount the radiator in the front. If you have front-mounted fans, they should be set to PULL anyway, regardless of if you use water or air cooling. Also, I suggest investing in front-mounted fans if you don't have any (again, regardless of what cooling method you use) for reasons of both air flow and in-case air pressure if for no other reason than to cut down on the dust-bunny problem.

The inward-facing PSU fan is typically set to PULL, with the outward-facing fan set to PUSH (I don't know of any PSU with the default set differently). The typical default for the H-series radiator is that the fan is facing out and set to PUSH. (The reason for that is that it is typically mounted in the rear of the case.)

By adding a front-mounted fan (if none is present), rear-mounted fans won't have to work as hard to maintain positive air-pressure or air-flow.
 
I use the fans on both my H50 and H60 as exhaust.

The temps you're getting are OK. They're abit higher then what I get on my wifes Q6600 at 3.2ghz with an H50 on it. Hers is also not G0, its B3, so it runs hotter then yours. I'd suggest grabbing a 620 or H50 and going that route. they're quiet and cool well for their size.
 
I use the fans on both my H50 and H60 as exhaust.

The temps you're getting are OK. They're abit higher then what I get on my wifes Q6600 at 3.2ghz with an H50 on it. Hers is also not G0, its B3, so it runs hotter then yours. I'd suggest grabbing a 620 or H50 and going that route. they're quiet and cool well for their size.

Apparently, Corsair has replaced the H50 with the H40.
http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-...s-h40-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html.

Unlike the H50 (but like the H60), the H40's radiator and PUSH fan can use an existing 120mm case-fan mounting space.

MicroCenter stocks the H40 for $49.95 (non-sale price). The H60 is $10 more.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375158 (Corsair H40)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355594 (Corsair H60)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top