• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recommend HSF for Q6600

thug

n00b
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
42
I just bought a Q6600 here on [H]ard|Forum. What hsf should I use of I over clock it to 3.0Ghz
 
do you have a G0 Chip? if so you don't really need much to get to 3.0 and I think the stock cooler with some good paste and airflow might do the job, but anything over than that and you need to go aftermarket. I use a Cooler Master Gemini II S right now at 3.6GHz and my temps never go above 67ish C.
 
Yes, it is the SLARC. I will take a look at the Cooler Master Gemini II S. thanks
 
A hyper 212+ should be good. Its like $24 at Amazon. And you can continue using it if you switch to lga 1156 or 1155.
 
Stock cooler is crap, even if its a G0 unless you like seeing temps creep up to 70C with relative ease.

I've been running an OCZ Vendetta 2 and it's been pretty good. There are tons of coolers based on a very similar design including the Hyper 212+ I'm a fan of the "tower" deign as the hot air coming off the HSF gets blown right into the rear exhaust fan of the case aiding in overall cooling efficiency.
 
I like the idea of case air passing through the tower and being drown out by means of the rear exhaust fan. nice!
 
Yeah what is a good HS for 775 my E6600 needs something good since I'm gonna drop a 7990 in it next month :D play some maxed out (60fps) BF3 yeah! :eek:
 
Remember to when recommending aftermarket heatsinks+fans we should really know if you have a ATX board. Because alot of the M-ATX can't accommodate certain heatsink+fan because of space limitations.
 
My Q6600 has an Antec 620 while my wife has the Hyper 212+. First, the 212+ has a considerable footprint so if your memory slots are close to the motherboard, and you've got raised heatspreaders, you may have some problems. Second, the 212+ is loud at the default 2.2k fan setting, and I pretty much need to run Speedfan and set it to 50% for it to be considerably less audible. With the above being said, I paid $55 for the Antec and $30 (since I never got the $10 rebate...), and I would pay the premium for the closed loop, silent, and better cooling 620.
 
Man FrostBite you gave me something else that I have to consider. I had to look at my motherboard again. I think I have plenty of room for the Hyper but I don't want a loud heatsink.
 
I don't know about that. Having water around all of those parts makes me nervous. Plus I don't plan on doing a lot of overclocking. I would be happy with 3.0Ghz and temps around 60C with a desent HSF. But I'm not sure what the actual temperature should be for a Q6600 at that speed.
 
Mine averages 57C under full load while running at 3.6Ghz while folding on an H-60 w/push/pull fans.
 
Man FrostBite you gave me something else that I have to consider. I had to look at my motherboard again. I think I have plenty of room for the Hyper but I don't want a loud heatsink.

Again, there are dozens of heatsinks based on the same design as the 212, some are heatsink only and you can choose your own 120mm fan to mount to it. The fan on my Vendetta II is only as loud as my quietest case fan.
 
i would suggest a corsair h50 and above personally. i had my Gemini II S for a while now because i used to run it in a SFF case. my chip doesn't run all that hot though even with a 1.325 Vid, suprising.
 
i would suggest a corsair h50 and above personally. i had my Gemini II S for a while now because i used to run it in a SFF case. my chip doesn't run all that hot though even with a 1.325 Vid, suprising.

I'm beginning to see the light. I kinda like the Corsair H50. I've seen it listed for about $60 on Amazon. I'm not looking forward to taking out my mobo to install necessary brackets though.
 
Assuming it'd fit your board, I'd grab a Thermalright True Spirit 120: reviewed by the [H] here.

Unfortunately, the availability stinks, so it ends up being ~$43 shipped from the one Amazon source. Still cooled better in the review than the H60 while being quieter.
 
Corsair A70 will work great. You can grab one for around $30. I am using one to cool my Q9550 @ 4GHz.
 
I've had a Tuniq Towet on my 3ghz Q6600 for years now. I have no clue what kind of temps it runs at. I guess there are better options now, but I've had no stability problems.
 
The Corsair A70 uses (2) fans. Is it very loud? Is both of the fans speed controlled my temp sensor on mobo? That thing must push a lot of air.
 
I don't know about that. Having water around all of those parts makes me nervous. Plus I don't plan on doing a lot of overclocking. I would be happy with 3.0Ghz and temps around 60C with a desent HSF. But I'm not sure what the actual temperature should be for a Q6600 at that speed.

I have a Q6600 on my bench motherboard I use to test GPUs and other components.

I use a cheap Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro7.
The Q is overclocked to 3.4 GHz using 1.375 VCore.
Under 100% useage of all 4 cores it will see 52C.

Normal use it rarely goes above 33C.

For the price you can't beat the thing.....30-35 bucks brand new....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
 
I'll have to check my box of spare parts but I might still have a ZALMAN CNPS9700. That might keep the processor cool enough for me if I keep it at 3.0Ghz or under.
 
Yep, found one. According to newegg it should work. I will need to buy some Antec Formula 6 Nano Diamond Thermal Compound. Sounds like some thick stuff compaired to Arctic Silver® 5. Which one is preferred.
 
if OP hasn't gotten around to getting a HS/fan, second the CM Hyper 212+. probably one of the best bang for buck coolers around.

recon the TR macho (reviewed here on H) is very decent. performs better that the 212+ tho it's slightly more expensive. its a big HS however, may need to download the cross-section diagrams of the cooler to make sure you have the clearance.

not sure i like the out-of-box WC units, seem to perform at the same level as a top end HS and generally have to spin the fans fairly high to better the air coolers thus quiet loud. may be a bit of a WC snob, prefer custom loops myself.

had all three options on my q6600. that rig currently has the macho cooler installed. i haven't booted that system for a couple of months, tho the macho kept the q6600 at a little over 60C during load (summer here so ambient are around 20C+). it's clocked @ 3.3 - 3.4 on stock volts (1.275 from memory tho LLC was enabled). biggest limitation with that system was the NB (X38 MB) temps. couldn't keep the damn thing cool enough. when it had a water block on the NB, it was fine.

if going cheap, the 212+, if wanting top end (tho still fairly cheap), the macho, providing you have the clearance.
 
Yep, found one. According to newegg it should work. I will need to buy some Antec Formula 6 Nano Diamond Thermal Compound. Sounds like some thick stuff compaired to Arctic Silver® 5. Which one is preferred.

My favourite thermal material is Noctura NT-H1, goes on easy and requires no curing.

Next ArcticCooling MX-4, but a bit thick.

Then AS5, still one of the best around.
 
That's the advantage of the Corsair H-series - closed-loop. You add *nothing* - it even comes with the coolant. It's no harder (depending on the case design, it can actually be easier) to install than a midrange or higher-end air-based HSF. The problem with liquid cooling remains that of price - not complexity.
 
That's the advantage of the Corsair H-series - closed-loop. You add *nothing* - it even comes with the coolant. It's no harder (depending on the case design, it can actually be easier) to install than a midrange or higher-end air-based HSF. The problem with liquid cooling remains that of price - not complexity.

Are you running the H series coolers? If so how does it compare to a good air setup both in terms of cooling and accoustics? Also, is there any type of routine mantenance like cleaning or replacing the coolant thats required?

The H series do look like a pretty simple setup and not all that expensive. If they do a better job I may get one for my IB build in a few months. I'm keeping my curent system intact so I'll need another HSF for IB anyway.
 
Something to think about using the corsair H50 is that it suggests the fan blow cold air inwards. So that means the heat will be blown into the case and the case fans may need to be turned around. The PSU will also have warmer air than usual air being drown through it. All of the other electronics would get heated up to and I don't think that would be a good thing. If the case has enough fans on it that can be turned around the extra heat may no be to much of an issue.
 
Last edited:
Something to think about using the corsair H50 is that it suggests the fan blow cold air inwards. So that means the heat will be blown into the case and the case fans may need to be turned around. The PSU will also have warmer air than usual air being drown through it. All of the other electronics would get heated up to and I don't think that would be a good thing. If the case has enough fans on it that can be turned around the extra heat may no be to much of an issue.

I think you could get around this by placing the radiator in front of your intake fans (if you have room)

That shouldn't introduce any more heat into the case than your standard HSF would and you still have the efficiency of your exhaust fans working as exhaust fans.
 
I don't think the hoses would reach an intake fan. Most incoming air is from the front of case or the side panel. Having it on the side panel would make it difficult getting into case. I think an that air flow heatsinks (with fan) will work since there won't be any extreme overclocking.
 
Are you running the H series coolers? If so how does it compare to a good air setup both in terms of cooling and accoustics? Also, is there any type of routine mantenance like cleaning or replacing the coolant thats required?

The H series do look like a pretty simple setup and not all that expensive. If they do a better job I may get one for my IB build in a few months. I'm keeping my curent system intact so I'll need another HSF for IB anyway.

The Corsair H series coolers require nothing. No maintanence at all. You can't get into the loop, if you do, you break it.

That's the upside.

Downside.....can't modify anything, so the limiting factor is the tubing length. Therein the positioning.
 
That does seem to be the case. The system it self is said to work nice. Real good cooling, thermal compound on heastsink ready to go. Closed system so it comes pre filled with coolant. But yeah, I think the radiator is meant to mount on the bake of the case.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Assuming it'd fit your board, I'd grab a Thermalright True Spirit 120: reviewed by the [H] here.

Unfortunately, the availability stinks, so it ends up being ~$43 shipped from the one Amazon source. Still cooled better in the review than the H60 while being quieter.

+1

I just put this in and went to 3.2GHz right off the bat, much nicer than stock HSF junk I've been struggling with all these years. I had bought it a while back but put it into a family members upgrade, bought a second and it's working great. Worth it IMO to keep me from upgrading till well after Windows 8 is here.
 
+1

I just put this in and went to 3.2GHz right off the bat, much nicer than stock HSF junk I've been struggling with all these years. I had bought it a while back but put it into a family members upgrade, bought a second and it's working great. Worth it IMO to keep me from upgrading till well after Windows 8 is here.


Any idea what cpu temp is running at. That heatsink is a monster. It's has to capable of good cooling.
 
Back
Top