• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommend Headphones for Running

screwmesa

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 19, 2005
Messages
1,024
Hey, can anyone recommend a set of headphones that are good for running? I have a Creative Muvo sport I use when I run and the earphones that came with it hurt like crazy after about 10 minutes of running. I'm not a big fan of earphones, always feel like they're digging into my ears. I've had the sony over the ear type and didn't like them because they would fall off. Any ideas? I don't want huge ass studio headphones either....

thanks :)
 
I've used the Sony MDR-EX71's while running and they're pretty good. They sound good for the price, too.
 
I have the MDR-EX51's for active usage. I'm not sure what the difference is between those and EX71's mentioned above, they look the same. However I will agree they are great. I work in a wafer fab and they drown alot of the noise. I use them when running too and they never ever fall out. Primarily because they fit snug and are extremely light.

The sound quality is real good too, not as open MDR-V300's, but still very good (considering the size!). Because these seal you ear cana, they have really good bass. I'd say only closed cup headphones like the V300's above have better bass. The sealed nature also creates a percieved higher sensitivity than normal over ear headphones.

My ears felt weird the first week or so I used them, but now I can wear them for a long time, just try different ear adaptors.
 
I also own a pair of the EX-71's and while they do isolate very well, I find the sq to be...well...undesirable. For now, I'm using the Sennheiser MX500 earbuds. They don't isolate nearly as well, but at least the bass doesn't make my head explode. :eek:

The Shure e3's and Sharp 4p's seem to recieve good words and they have the comfortable EX-71 tip to boot. Anyone have comment on these two?
 
Earplug-type phones are not indicated for use while running. The cord microphonics are problemeatic.
 
I wouldn't recommend canalphones for running, the isolation could get you killed, unless you're going to be on a track. Then I guess it's up to you whether the occlution(footsteps,breathing) and cord micrphonics are too much.
 
I ordered a pair of Shure E3c's and ended up returning them. I could never get them to fit comfortably and sound good. They do really isolate you- the only thing that you heard was the music. And they are way over the poseted budget anyways. I still use my $10 pair of Sony S2 earphones (the ones with the clip that goes around your ear). They are all I need for exercise. If I want great sound, I wait until I get home and fire up my HD600s.
 
Definately don't get canalphones if your running on the street. I had a friend almost sideswiped by a car because he couldn't hear the bastard coming down the road.

I go with the PortaPro's. The original not the new ones. They are getting harder to find these days since Koss decided to stop making them. Great sound and comfortable to boot.
 
Surprised no one brought up the Sennheiser px100s, for about 35 you get amazing sound and doesn't go in ear.

Edit: Friend has the ex-81s, they sound hollow with too much treble and not enought bass to me. The isolation might be too good for jogging also.
 
Back
Top