• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recommend hardware for this unique criteria

Schwabe

n00b
Joined
Apr 17, 2008
Messages
17
Hi, am interested in your suggestions on hardware to meet the following requirements:

- soundcard that can be used as an audio pass-through
- speaker set (2 or 2.1) optimal for an apartment

Budget: $350

The soundcard would act as sort of a receiver so I can feed it audio from my cable TV set top box (ideally S/PDIF but analog would be fine too). Providing me the options to then output to either my analog headphones or speakers.

The soundcard should also have a good amp to improve the output of my existing headphones (Sennheiser HD598).

Speakers ideally can also leverage the soundcard for optimal quality sound and volume - keep in mind though I want to minimize the boom boom for the sake of my neighbors.
 
Last edited:
How about some powered bookshelf speakers with built in DAC?
I'm currently using the Kanto YUMI. http://kantoliving.com/product/yumi/

Two TOSLINK (optical) inputs, stereo rca input, 3.5mm input, bluetooth aptx, and passthrough sub output.

Only thing its missing is a headphone jack. Why? WHHHHYYYYY?

edit: I should add how my setup works.

Gaming PC HDMI Output
HTPC HDMI Output
to
4x HDMI Switch with Optical output
to
Kanto YUMI (audio) & TV (video)

If I were to get some nice cans, I'd probably throw in an Optical splitter (though from reading they are hit and miss), and get a DAC/Amp just for that.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top