Recommend good barton board plz

tongboy

Supreme [H]ardness
its finally time to upgrade the aging 1.4 tbird

looking to step up to a 2600+ barton core as that seems to be the best bang for the buck.

i've been out of the loop forever it seems and don't know the new technology, what kind of options do I have assuming I'll try my hand at a stable overclock.'

affordable is nice but not worth sacrificing too much performance for.

planning to pair it with some new memory(512-1024 roughly) and probably a sata drive along with a 9800 pro if that has any fairing

Abit NF7-S and DFI Lanparty Rev 2 are both excellent boards. The Abit can be had for 85 bucks shipping included from Product Link Here right now. It also has SATA raid at the price, nice onboard feature. Both boards are rated very good in the overclocking community for their options in bios.

dabiggoober said:
Abit NF7-S and DFI Lanparty Rev 2 are both excellent boards. The Abit can be had for 85 bucks shipping included from Product Link Here right now. It also has SATA raid at the price, nice onboard feature. Both boards are rated very good in the overclocking community for their options in bios.

thanks for confirming what i've just found in my quick searches.

people buy from places other then newegg? :confused: :D

tongboy said:
thanks for confirming what i've just found in my quick searches.

people buy from places other then newegg? :confused: :D

Not me, they have over 3k of my dollars and counting......

I'm 100% satisfied with my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe board for my Barton cored 2800+ which is running at 3200+. Solid and feature packed for a good price.

For places to buy Newegg is good, but I get more and more stuff from Zipzoomfly.com. On a lot of items you save a few bucks over Newegg, plus they have free second day shipping on almost every item which really seals the deal for me. Those two are your best bet.

nf7 all the way... or if your feeling risky.. the An7 had some nice options...

Im not a big fan the of the DFI, even thought i run one.... there real buggy...

Recommendations for AMD Athlon XP Series: Get a Mobile Athlon if you want to overclock!!!!

Serious Overclocker:
1. DFI LanParty II Rev.B (NOT INEXPENSIVE!!!) But the fastest board alive!!!!
2. DFI Ulta Infinity(Identical to the LanParty w/o all the bells and whistles and affordable too!!!)
3. ABIT NF7-S

Some Overclocking experience
1. ABIT NF7-S
2. Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

No overclocking experience
1. EPOX EP-8RDA3I
2. ASUS A7N8X
3. ABIT AN7

Do you feel comfortable modding a board? I would recommend the DFI Ultra Infinity if I could get mine to work as it should.

I think you should go with the Abit NF7-S because with a Desktop Barton 2600+ you won't be getting high FSB anyways and it's a safer bet than the DFI's.

Johnie said:
Do you feel comfortable modding a board? I would recommend the DFI Ultra Infinity if I could get mine to work as it should.

I think you should go with the Abit NF7-S because with a Desktop Barton 2600+ you won't be getting high FSB anyways and it's a safer bet than the DFI's.

depends on what you mean by modding, soldering a resistor or something on there doesn't bother me in the least but if it requires redrawing traces on the board or something a bit more then that i'd rather go with something I don't need to do that with.

I think i'm going to go for the 2600+ mobile, its only 5 bucks more then the normal one and it seems to have a lot higher of a ceiling on it as well as the nf7-s.

I'll be ordering on monday.

ram wise i've got 512 of I believe its 2700, its good stuff though, crucial. worth picking up some 3200?

I'll see what i've got laying around the house for cooling but I doubt i'll go buyin a new 50 dollar all copper heatsink with all the socket A stuff I have around here to use... I'm running a super orb with a 120mm fan over the top of it to cool my 1.4 and it keeps it at a tops of 50C in the small little part of my desk I have it in...

The DFI is undoubtably the fastest socket A board ever built. It has higher unmodded Vdimm/Vcore/Vdd ability than any other board. You only need to mod it if you want to go over the stock 3.3v Vdimm or 2.0v Vcore. The AMD Mobile Athlon is the only way to go. Chips that run a stock "REAL" 1.8 ghz are hitting true speeds of 2.5-2.7 ghz on on a regular basis in the DFI's with aircooling, near 3ghz on H20 and TEC, and well over 3ghz with phase change cooling on DFI LanParty's and Ultra Infinities. You can't get close to that in an ABIT w/o modding the voltages a ton.

Memory is important in the NF2 boards as 2X256mb single sided ram will get much more FSB than dual sided 512mb will because of Nvidia's reference memory controller design. The NF2 boards favor Winbond BH-5/6 and CH-5 ram above all others which is more important than the rated speed. Kingston KX3000 is hitting 250FSB @ 2-2-2-11 @ 3.3v Vdimm, while some PC4000 memory won't even come close. Just stuff to think about. You may want to check some forums dedicated to the MFG of these boards first like those @ pcper.com or dfi-street.com/forum . Hope this helped...

so you're saying the DFI is worth the extra 50 bucks over the nf7-s? people on those forums are pretty much showing 2.5 ghz is the low end of the avg air cooled overclock :eek:

if thats true then the DFI lanparty board is worth its weight in gold.

I'll probably look at picking the DFI board up as well as 3 256mb sticks of the kingston stuff for good FSB, I've got various ramsinks and what not laying around from the years of overclocking to put on whatever is limiting me for good FSB speeds.

I may just have to bust out my socket A water block and bong cooler for this project $_$ and with such low power output on the mobiles a peltier becomes a possible inclusion :cool:

edit: upon closer inspection I believe the ultra infinity board will do me just fine as it seems it can be modded to work like the lanparty board as far as voltages and what not. only differenes are the sata raid and the gigabit adapter as far as I can see which aren't big issues for me. especially considering its only 92 bucks, a whopping 7 bucks more then the Abit board.
elts_drac said:
The DFI is undoubtably the fastest socket A board ever built. It has higher unmodded Vdimm/Vcore/Vdd ability than any other board. You only need to mod it if you want to go over the stock 3.3v Vdimm or 2.0v Vcore. The AMD Mobile Athlon is the only way to go. Chips that run a stock "REAL" 1.8 ghz are hitting true speeds of 2.5-2.7 ghz on on a regular basis in the DFI's with aircooling, near 3ghz on H20 and TEC, and well over 3ghz with phase change cooling on DFI LanParty's and Ultra Infinities. You can't get close to that in an ABIT w/o modding the voltages a ton.

Memory is important in the NF2 boards as 2X256mb single sided ram will get much more FSB than dual sided 512mb will because of Nvidia's reference memory controller design. The NF2 boards favor Winbond BH-5/6 and CH-5 ram above all others which is more important than the rated speed. Kingston KX3000 is hitting 250FSB @ 2-2-2-11 @ 3.3v Vdimm, while some PC4000 memory won't even come close. Just stuff to think about. You may want to check some forums dedicated to the MFG of these boards first like those @ pcper.com or dfi-street.com/forum . Hope this helped...

tongboy said:
edit: upon closer inspection I believe the ultra infinity board will do me just fine as it seems it can be modded to work like the lanparty board as far as voltages and what not. only differenes are the sata raid and the gigabit adapter as far as I can see which aren't big issues for me. especially considering its only 92 bucks, a whopping 7 bucks more then the Abit board.

any info on the mods? links?

Back