Recommend Antivirus software plz

alexdg

n00b
This was probably asked a thousand times by now, but since search is no more... anyways, what's a good slash best antivirus out there for winxp user?

thnx!

hmm, I'm using AVG right now but PC Cillin came with my ASUS mobo, someone tell me what makes PC Cillin better?

Also, what makes NOD32, in your opinion, better then AVG and PC Cillin.

Maximum PC did a review of Norton 2004, Mcafee 2004, and AVG. On a scale of 1-10, Norton=8, Mcafee=6, and AVG=9. Norton took a hit for thier activation crap(like windows xp), Mcafee took hits for a poor interface, and annooying ads, and AVG won by catching all the test viruses, doing a system scan in the same time as the big-boys, while best of all its FREE(just a virus scanner with no bells and whistles).:D

AVG works for me.

I've got a 6 month liscence for Trend... but I think I'll stick with AVG instead. It's found anything dubious I've thrown at it so far :) Of course, it also killed my trophy room of old viruses :( Not to worry.

NOD32 25 passes / 3 fails.

Norton. 23 passes / 6 fails.

AVG. 3 passes / 20 fails

Avast is also free, and some people think it's better than AVG.
Avast
7 passes / 19 fails

Originally posted by pbXassassinX1524
Also, what makes NOD32, in your opinion, better then AVG and PC Cillin.

widely considered the best AV goining
its almost always the top choice at any serious independent security forum
Best Choice (5 Stars) at Wilder's
This relatively unknown anti-virus is performing excellent, receiving the VB Reward on many occassions. The key feature is highly efficient and user friendly heuristic analysis, allowing detection of new viruses even without the need of constant updating. It also handles many Java viruses, IRC worms, trojan horses and other internet infiltrations.
The memory-resident anti-virus monitor (AMON) provides constant and automatic detection and cleaning.

Main features:

nice and easy to use interface;
modular design of fully 32-bit code;
extremely powerfull new heuristic analysis, also for the macro virus family
use of fast "single point" virus samples and CRC for accurate virus recognition
effective virtual emulator serving to detect the polymorphic viruses
maximum scanning speed
speed enhancement by coding the mission-critical modules in assembler
automatic control of incoming mail/files used by means of the AMON and IMON
effective anti-stealth techniques implemented in the system
algorithmic and heuristic virus cleaning available
quarantine allows encrypted storage of infected and/or suspicious files
reconstruction of system files of key importance after virus infection
conversion of doc.files after cleaning into original format
searching for viruses in encrypted and password protected databases and docs
detection of viruses in archived files
virus detection in internally compressed and/or protected executable files
define targets and rules for handling infected files
central log management
Control Center handles all operational modules
full support for UNICODE in windows2000/NT, Windows 2003 server compatible
centralized update option for easy and fast automatic updates
anti-virus operating memory (RAM) scanner
3 pre-defined installation scenarios available
one year free updates.

We are very impressed by this anti-virus; it can compete with the best, like f.e. Kaspersky aka AVP. As as matter of fact, this anti-virus is even better in regard to viruses, detection and cleaning. best choice

not to mention holding the record for the most VB100% awards
which odoe linked above while I was codin this :p
the complete archive by vendor the AV company submits the program for this test, and its probably the most compeated measure among them

The VB 100% logo is awarded to anti-virus products that:

o Detect all In the Wild viruses during both on-demand and on-access scanning in Virus Bulletin's comparative tests.
o Generate no false positives when scanning a set of clean files.

youll find that when it comes to a great number of reviews
advertising clout can often impact those reviews (ZDNet :rolleyes:)
but truely independent reviews are out there
NOD32 Awards

Hey Ice...did you get my PM...it's important

And just so I don't post here and not answer the guys question: Hmmm...I'd say go for Norton or McAfee...I like Norton better...there have been some really good deals lately where you could get Norton FREE after rebate(s)...I saw the same for McAfee but that was a long time ago

Well written Ice Czar. I can see the point of company endorsement/good review ratio, but not so much with a free product. Ill take this into consideration anyway, and maybe give NOD32 a try. Not that id sit around throwing viruses at it to see what it caught, but ive recieved my share over the years, and id periodically double check it with norton to see if it missed anything.I still say free is nice tho.:cool:

The only one I've really know for myself to work right is norton, and that was back in the 2002 version, since then I'm sure its improved. But Also if I were you I'd check out this NOD32 prog too.

Another toss for NOD32. I bought the five client user deal (150.00) which allows you to turn one PC into the AntiVirus Def Server through "mirror".

After the "echo format c" bs here and at another site to remain nameless I will only use NOD32. Seeing that Norton thought that it was a virus. :rolleyes:

Back