Recommend a survival type PC game i.e end of the world-ish:)

Looking for good survival type game, not sure what genre that falls into but feel free to name any and all and I'll read up on them.

This will be running on the rig in my sig so take that into account.:)

Thanks!

Fallout New Vegas if you haven't played that already...

There are also some great difficulty mods that make survival quite challenging.

/thread

I love games like what the OP is asking for and DayZ is the most desperate, no-way-out survival game I ever played. and the mofo is in alpha. cant wait to see it progress.

It's good, but it has quite a few glitches and feels clunky are my complaints. I know I couldn't play for over a week a while back because I kept spawning dead for some reason.

/thread

I love games like what the OP is asking for and DayZ is the most desperate, no-way-out survival game I ever played. and the mofo is in alpha. cant wait to see it progress.

Certainly not the end of the thread. Not every one want to play that buggy mod.
/wait for non-Alpha version

Anyway, the STALKER series has some nice survival elements to them. Highly recommended.

Not sure if it fits exactly what you are looking for, but Metro 2033 is based around humanity after nuclear winter. The Mass Effect series are about the end of the universe, but I'm not sure again if they fit well within your "survival" type of game.

Certainly not the end of the thread. Not every one want to play that buggy mod.
/wait for non-Alpha version

Anyway, the STALKER series has some nice survival elements to them. Highly recommended.

Anyone willing to play STALKER should have no issues with the bugs in DayZ, at all. :p

STALKER is good though! Just make sure to patch and run the COMPLETE mod on the game.

I picked up Lone Survivor during the last Humble Bundle and it has been a great surprise. If you don’t mind the 16-bit graphics it’s the best survival horror game I’ve played since Silent Hill 2.

But I also recommend Metro 2033

Dead Island
Stalker series
Arma with Day Z

It seems that most "survival" games include the added feature of "try to survive/avoid the bugs"

:)

Stalker with the complete mods is pretty amazing. For whatever reason I can't download from file planet where I live, so I'm currently without it. But it's a great mod for a pretty amazing game.

Dead Island is probably amazing, but the game is too buggy for me to get into at all.

Haven't tried Arma II with Day Z, hoping that Arma II goes on sale this steam sale. Definitely will try it then.

Edit: Krater seems like something you might want to check out. I've been meaning to pick it up, but it looks pretty cool. End of the world kinda game.

I just downloaded Arma2 again for Day-Z, I hope it's good!

Fallout New Vegas if you haven't played that already...

There are also some great difficulty mods that make survival quite challenging.

Fallout : New Vegas if you want a game with lots of character , tons of shit to do , lots of exploration and a great single player experience. There is tons of great DLC for it and it blends right into the main story so well. I've dumped over 200 hours into Fallout : New Vegas and its better than Fallout 3. To be fair though I lived in Las Vegas for 5 years and its crazy the kind of things they bothered to even detail into the game. Very cool overall. Also , MASSIVE mod community for this game. Lots of great stuff coming from them soon too.

Day-Z if you want a great online MP experience and are into simulation FPS (i.e. No fucking wimps). However if you die in Day-Z you lose all your shit and start from scratch and the game world is massive and you are not provided with maps so its a real gritty experience. I would also recommend playing it with at least 1 friend you can trust. Another thing to keep in mind is that Day-Z is in Alpha (early state of release) and is buggy as fucking hell. Just installing the game can be a hassle and there are lots of in game bugs that are annoying as hell. It gets better with every patch and its pretty amazing though so this mostly shouldn't bother you and certainly it will be the best zombie survival game once it enters late beta and begins to show polish.

Day-Z is not for the causal end of world gamer though , its for the survivalist that would shot his friend in the back for ammo and doesn't mind losing hours if not days of work/experience from being shot in the head by an asshole bandit. Head to Youtube and watch some videos to understand what I mean.

I recommend that if you can afford both , GET THEM. These games I would take to a desert island and be damn happy (if I got Internet on that desert island mind you ).

I never cared for STALKER or Metro, but I absolutely loved both of the Bethesda Fallout games.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl - One of the best survival games that doesn't hold your hand and is basically an anything goes game. Quest giver died? Tough shit, start over. No guns? Too bad, find a corpse or stalk someone until they meet their untimely death. This game came out of nowhere and yet it is probably my top 5 games of all time.

Fallout 3/NV - I prefer 3 but NV isn't bad, just a less dense environment. Perk tree is fun and scavenging for parts to craft things is interesting. The combat is great and the variety of weapons are awesome. I loved the story of the 3rd one, not so much NV, 3rd one just had better pacing and setting.

DayZ - Multiplayer, zombies, epic sized map, everything is scarce. Average life expectancy: 31 minutes

Metro 2033 - Not so much an immersive RPG than a fun linear shooter. It definitely puts you in the epicenter of a civilians struggle in post apocalyptic world. For as cheap as this game can be had nowadays it's stupid not to atleast play it once. Also it's beautiful, so make sure your rig can keep up.

Dead Island - Multiplayer co-op on a tropical island filled with zombie tourists. Intense visceral combat, gore, and dismemberment. Melee is a requirement as guns are extremely rare. The perk trees are fun and add a great element to the game. Stab, stab, or chop, chop with blades or even smash skulls with hammers and bats. The controls are a bit wonky and take some getting used to but one of the best co-op zombie games around. Not so much a survival game than it is a charge through zombie waves while smashing everything in the face kind of game. Death isn't an issue..

Dead Rising 1, 2, OTR - One of the better zombie survival games these last few years. Left in a mall to fend yourself against an onslaught of zombies, the game progresses through stages of zombie infestation as the growing number of hordes continue to feast for your flesh. Save civilians from their demise or let them suffer the fate of everyone else. A decent variety of weapons to keep you entertained and some fun unlockables and cheeky comedy with some serious elements at times.

Fallen Earth - Post apocalyptic MMO, not much I can say other than that. It's an acquired taste.

I Am Alive - Post apocalyptic urban survival. Didn't play it, heard decent things.

The Last of Us - Not yet released, heavily survival oriented post apocalyptic urban environment. Keep an eye on this one.

FarCry 2. The goal is to survive more than two hours playing without breaking the disc in half.

I want to elaborate on the Stalker sugesstions. If you really want a nothing held back, tough as nails survival experience I suggest Stalker:Oblivion Lost.

Very very very old, but a great survival game, Robinson's Requiem... the only game I know of where you could amputate your own limbs if they became too infected...

Back