Recommend a router

arock1_3

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm so fustrated because I'm trying to buy a router at eBay just to keep the cost down (obviously is my first one) and when I go to other websites to check the reviews they have bad ones. What router would you recommend and it does not have to be top of the line but that it will do the job with out or little problems. This are the ones that I was checking out:

1-Dlink D-Link DI-784 Wireless A/G Router 784 802.11a/g
2-Linksys Dual-Band Wireless A+B Broadband Router WRT51AB

What do you think?

I have absolutely no experience with D-Link, but enough with Linksys to know that you will get what you pay for. I would have no hesitation in buying the Linksys.

Why do you want A in a router?
A linksys WRT54G, with the DD-WRT firmware (or other firmwares) will do everything you need it to, and probably be cheaper equipment cost wise.

Just my $0.02
-Ghent

Well I was told that since not a lot of people use a is a lot safer in the sense of hacking or something like that. All i'm looking other than reliability is security. Help me here.

Protoform-X said:
Avoid D-link at all costs; they make unreliable products.

I 2nd that, i've had problems with D-Link. Remember, you get what you pay for, and Linksys is CISCO's daughter company :D

While it's true fewer people use 802.11A than B, it does not make it more secure. Plus if you use a router that supports both, unless you have the capability to disable the 802.11b compatibility, you still run all the risks of both A and B.

Like Ghent915 says, the Linksys WRT54G is the most popular router on these forums, mainly because of the availability of custom firmware for it. If it's out of your price range it's not like cheaper routers won't work, they just may not have quite as good of features or performance.

Thanks guys. I think am going to go with the wrt54g, it very good features. Do you of anybody selling one. LMK

Protoform-X said:
Avoid D-link at all costs; they make unreliable products.

I love my D-link router. If the router was a person I'd have sex with it.

Linksys WRT54g. Awesome router. There are a few aftermarket mods for it. You can even up the antenna power substantially and heatsink the internals so it won't overheat. Lots of power in that router, and it can be had for ~$50 very commonly. Then go to a place like www.fab-corp.com and buy an external antenna for it, disable the second antenna, and you're golden. You'll be the envy of all your geek friends, and the non-geek friends will just say "wow, your wireless works way better than mine at home."

It's a good thing ... Martha Stewart

xeetim said:
I love my D-link router. If the router was a person I'd have sex with it.

I dearly love my DGL-4300. Its the ONLY D-Link product I would purchase.

-eblade

Linksys with SRX
Belkin Pre-N

Anyone purchasing a wireless router these days should get a MIMO/Pre-N router. The range, and ability to hold a signal across the house/office, is SO MUCH BETTER with MIMO. And you can use legacy wireless NICs in your computers, like an old B or G NIC, and still benefit from the distance gain.

I knew I was going to find the answer here, that why I love this place (not to point to have sex with it, but I love it).
thanks guys

hacktor2 said:
I 2nd that, i've had problems with D-Link. Remember, you get what you pay for, and Linksys is CISCO's daughter company :D
No Cisco bought out Linksys. Obviously Linksys has always had a decent thing going on for Cisco to buy them out.

Yes...I'm nit picking. :p

the WRT54G is a good router. Even better with the DD-WRT-R2 firmware and overclock. Have it for over 1 year and no problem yet except for heat issues

Back