Recommend a router and USB adapter

splooger

Limp Gawd
I have my main computer hooked up to a cable modem and it uses Windows XP. I have another computer that I would like to share the internet connection with that uses Windows 98 SE. It has a USB connection. Can you recommend an easy to setup and reliable router and adapter that would work for me? One that is under $100? Thanks.

I just found out my ASUS AV8 motherboard comes with WiFi capability and all I need to buy is an adapter for the other computer and not a router. Many people have been recommending not using a USB adapter and getting a network card instead for Windows 98. Can I use Windows XP on my second computer or is my retail version only good for one computer? I'm trying to avoid the network card because I have no idea how to install it and would have to pay a tech to do so. A USB adapter would be much easier because all I have to do is plug it in. I found a USB network adapter that has drivers for Windows 98 and is made by ASUS and uses the same drivers as the WiFi card in my main computer. Do you think that would work?

I just found out my ASUS AV8 motherboard comes with WiFi capability and all I need to buy is an adapter for the other computer and not a router.

That would work. You can set up internet connection sharing without a router.
Can I use Windows XP on my second computer or is my retail version only good for one computer?

On computer only. The second install won't activate.

A USB adapter would be much easier because all I have to do is plug it in. I found a USB network adapter that has drivers for Windows 98 and is made by ASUS and uses the same drivers as the WiFi card in my main computer. Do you think that would work?

If by USB network adapter you mean a USB WiFi adapter - yes, it should work.

If you mean a USB Ethernet adapter, that will work as well, but you'll need two of them or else one with a second Ethernet card in the other computer. For Ethernet, you'd need a crossover network cable to connect the two Ethernet adapters directly, not a regular network cable. Regular network cables are used to connect a computer to a router or modem.

Back