• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recommend A Receiver

HaX

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 17, 2005
Messages
1,916
Recently bought the 32" Westing House HDTV & Klipsch Quintet III speakers from Best Buy on black friday and would like to know a decent receiver to use on my speakers. I'm looking for low budget w/ good quality. Currently still need to get the sub woofer and then on to the receiver so it may take awhile. Give me your recommendations!
 
HaX said:
i own the slightly lesser JVC RXD201S model and love it. Though for $179 i'd be patient and search for alternatives.

First a few questions:

1) How much are you willing to spend max?
2) what features do you need or want? examples: hdmi inputs and conversion? component and svideo inputs? Do you need more than two or three digital audio inputs? etc etc etc
3) Are you willing to consider manufacturer refurbished equipment? You can get a great bang for your buck if so.

The answers to these questions will greatly affect what receivers you should be looking at.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm looking to spend around $200 maybe a little more... but i don't know anything about receivers and which brands to look at.
 
HaX said:
I'm looking to spend around $200 maybe a little more... but i don't know anything about receivers and which brands to look at.
That really is a hot deal on the panasonic XR55 btw. Unless it's missing features you absolutely need, you probably shouldn't give it a second thought, buy and enjoy. Late 2005~early 2006 it was probably the most recommended <$300 HT receiver at the AVS forums. @ $169 shipped i am highly tempted to get it myself, but decided to live my life vicariously through you instead :D
 
i just looked at the Panasonic Xr55 and considering buying it.. i don't have any money cause i cashed out on the HD TV and Speakers... so when my next pay comes in ... I'll get a receiver then hook up my speakers. Too bad i didn't have enough to get the sub to go along with it.
 
Denon or Yamaha would be my choices.

I am currently using a Pioneer since I got a helluva deal on it. VSX-D509S for $65
 
What's the best way to hook up the receiver up to my HDTV? My westy has 1 HDMI port, would that be the best way to hook up a receiver? Also, eventually i figured i'd get a PS3.. does that mean.. i'd have to use the HDMI for either audio or gaming?
 
Well, I was looking at receivers the other day while browsing best buy and I noticed that only a few had HDMI inputs on them and they were the pricier units.

you may just have to look for a decent HDMI switcher (not sure if they make them or not, haven't looked).

On my little setup, I have it hooked up like this:
VIDEO:
Satellite to TV via HDMI
PC1 to TV via Component
PC2 to TV via S-Video
Xbox to TV via Component

AUDIO:
Xbox to Receiver via Optical
Satellite to Receiver via RCA cables
PC2 to Receiver via 3.5mm to RCA Cables
TV to Receiver via RCA Cables.
 
Panasonic makes another model of the one stated above and has HDMI In/Out, Costs about 279.99. It's the SA-XR57S.
 
HaX said:
Panasonic makes another model of the one stated above and has HDMI In/Out, Costs about 279.99. It's the SA-XR57S.


It only has one in and one out, so I'd pass if you have more than 1 HDMI device.
 
WS6 said:
you may just have to look for a decent HDMI switcher (not sure if they make them or not, haven't looked).
There are a few decent hdmi switches. It's a big discussion topic over at avs. One of the least expensive options would be the markertech passive hdmi switch, which gets good reviews. The active HDMI switches at monoprice gets good reviews as well. Now obviously using a standalone hdmi switch will not suit everyone, but for some of us they can be an ok option.
 
Another vote for the XR55, I own one and it does everything I could want it to do! Too bad I paid $250 for mine over the holidays last year, thats a killer price!
 
black or silver? My Klipsch's are black; however, I have taking a liking to the silver. Though, everything around my tv is black so it could seem weird.
 
I also bought the quintet III system at best buy and hooked them up to my onkyo tx-sr600 (the new version is the ts-xr604 that has HDMI switching) and I was very impressed with my results... they sound very good considering their size and price.. you definitely need a sub with them though-- they are only for highs and decent mids... but a sub completes the system

I have been a long time onkyo fan.. they offer fantastic processing/features/price -- just remember.. the receiver is the least important part of your system- pick a price you can live with and buy a receiver from denon, onkyo yamaha or harmon kardon (I have never been a fan of pioneer but if that is waht you want I am sure you will be happy with it)

in a certain price range- most receivers do similar processing of sound - the more important aspect is your speaker wire and how it loses signal while travelling across it

if I may say-- you have a TV with HDMI - spend a little more and get a receiver with at least 2 HDMI in and 1 out that does upconversion to an analog signal and passes a 1080p signal.. then you won't feel like you need to upgrade within the next couple years

besides-- with a receiver that does HDMI switching, you will get the 5.1 and up to 7.1 THX surround sound that everybody has been tlaking about and with the money it costs to send different wires to different devices you will have your receiver that costs 300 bucks;
look at the onkyo ts-xr574 and ts-xr604 (great reviews on cnet.com)

hope this helps a little!
 
i got the quintet III and the Sub-10 too. Just ordered a Onkyo SR674 for the HDMI upconversion which should make things easier.
 
get the Marantz SR4600 7.1 receiver if you don't need the fancy HDMI connection, 80W x7 @8ohm and 100W x7 @6ohm, TONS of connections, this model is being phase out and you can get a brand new one for $279 from accessories4less, this a/v receiver was selling for $699 about a year ago and it will blow any other mass market cheap receivers out of the water. I just bought one last night for my HTPC and they shipped it out this morning, came with Marantz 3yr warranty and accessories4less is authorized online dealer.
 
I'd like something with the HDMI switching; however, seems it'll be awhile cause I'll be in the gutter for awhile...christmas in all
 
tons of the HDMI recievers cost too much. My personal budget reciever is teh yamaha series. Rotel is the midgrade collection that I prefer.
 
Receivers with HDMI switching that are decent to good include

Onkyo TX-SR604
Pioneer VSX-1016TXV-K
Denon 2307ci and 2807
Sony STR-DG1000 (though I am not a sony receiver fan)
Yamaha RX-V1600

For my money I would go with the Denon, but there are some good contenders in that list.
 
Back
Top