• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recommend a quiet cooler for E6600?

TheSpoon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
431
My cpu idles at ~50c for some reason with the default heatsink. I've made sure that it's sitting properly and I've remounted it 3 times. Maybe it's because I'm using ~2year old arctic silver. But I've applied a thin line like they recommend in their instructions. Anyway, I'd like to try a different cooler, but it has to be quiet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
 
I use Scythe Ninja and it's quiet. I first heard of it on Silentpcreview site:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article251-page6.html

It was easy to install but I have a mobo tray that slides out. It would have been harder to install without tray it since Ninja is big and getting hand over the unit to push in anchor in on the upper left corner can be hard if still doable. I have Asus P5W DH in a Lian LI 6077.

I replaced my stock cooler with this. I used the Arctic Silver material remover and purifier before adding the AS5. Then I followed the AS C2D instructions that were new at the time and called for a line down center to cover both cores (sounds like you did this too but I mention it because some people do the "rice grain" thing). I was careful not to lift cooler once I made contact. My temp with a non OC'ed E6600 is usually around 22 - 25 C with routine (no gaming) usage.

The Ninja can run without a fan under normal use and conditions. Its on sale now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835185038
 
Thanks for the suggestion. It really is strange that my temp is so high...I'm quite sure I did everything right. The heatsink is sitting very well. I applied a thin line like the instructions said, and I made sure it's in the right direction. I used isopropanol 99% to wipe off the heatsink and the CPU before I did this (and between remounts of course). So what gives?

Anyway, that looks like one badass cooler. My case doesn't have a removable tray though, so I'll have to do some more research to find out whether it'll fit.
 
My e6600 idles at low 50's too (sometimes high 40's), but it doesn't seem to matter what Vcore, speed (3.2, 3.4) or other settings I use in overclocking, temps just don't go up much with a good cooler.

Now though, I'm talking about TAT temps, not motherboard CPU temps.

I believe this is perfectly normal. When the processor kicks in and the temps want to start to go up (quickly/TAT), just a slight increase in my Zalman 9700 AT fan speed (always less than 2,000) as directed by the motherboard keeps it consistently and always always under 60c; with no effort whatsoever. And there is virtually no heat coming out the back of my newer build (a tj09 case).

Once again, these are TAT AND overclocked cpu temps w/ C1e turned off! If you can or do use CPU throtting your temps will be lower.

Mark
 
Oh wow, I just downloaded TAT and it reports that my CPU idles at 37c-43c. Prior to this I was using Asus Probe.
 
yeah read my thread, TAT seems to be a little more accurate.
 
I have the same temp range on TAT Spoon. It's on ASUS and Everest (they are always the same) that I will be in low 20's (with mobo temp usually given as around 34-37) . I would be curious how this systems temps work on a game so I will have to buy one (it will be my first). Hard to decide where to start.
 
Oh that's strange. So for you TAT reports higher temp than Asus and for me it's the other way around. Ah well. Why are you curious about in-game temps if you don't play games?
 
Well another reason to try games is a new monitor. I needed one 6 months ago but delayed until I had new system that would support DVI. I then waited to build until C2D came out. I neeed time to research anyway since it was first build. I did a lot of waiting the past year lol. I will never be a gamer as most people think of one but it but I get curious to try things out. The graphics in some things look interesting (Oblivion for example). I also want to change fans around. The fans that came with my Lian Li 6077B are not as quiet as I would like. I'll see just how hot this thing might get before I make a plan. Who knows? Maybe I'll like Oblivion and Half Life etc and start obsessing about frame rates lol.
 
That's not a sale, the ninja always sells for $40. It's an awesome cooler, but keep in mind that the fan blows sideways so it won't cool your RAM, MOSFETs, or any other components around the CPU. For that reason alone I'd probably go with a big typhoon for an extra ten bucks.
 
Back
Top