recommend a print server

knothead34

[H]ard|Gawd
i have a family member who might possibly need a print server. she is going to get a laptop in the near future and wants to print remotely. can anyone recommend a bran? ie linksys or dlink or netgear? she has a full function printer......copy......fax.....scan etc. she is currently using att uverse also.

with a print server the other functions might not work properly or at-all. For the cost of most USB print servers (based on the frys where I work) you should buy a new AIO with a built in print server IMHO.

For the price of a good print server like an HP Jet Direct...spend just a little more and you can pick up a brand new HP AIW that has a wired and wireless NIC built right into it.

with a print server the other functions might not work properly or at-all. For the cost of most USB print servers (based on the frys where I work) you should buy a new AIO with a built in print server IMHO.

pretty much...

although wireless printers are nuts... in my little experience... i'd recommend against them

Get a wired printer, not a wireless printer.

When you install the drivers... use the corporate drivers, not the full featured drivers

When you install the printer, set a static IP outside the DHCP range.

get a network based printer either wifi or wireless.

make sure to join the wireless using hte screen on the unit not hte gay software, set a manual ip outside the dhcp pool and good to go.

or hard wire.

no print server will keep the all in one functions.

I always try to connect MFC's/All in Ones via USB to a workstation that will act as the print server (an outdated PC works great). Connect it via Ethernet or Wi-Fi to the gateway router. Then when it joins the Workgroup, any wired or wireless PC in the Workgroup can print to it. You'll have to use the workstation to scan but that's cool. Store the scans in a shared folder on the workstation and make a shortcut to that folder on the laptop.

Not what you asked for and probably what you already knew, but just in case, there it is. :)

In your case I wouldn't recommend a print server, the reasons have been mentioned, particularly you not being able to retain all functionality.

I would however recommend a MFP server (also known as USB networking servers), these devices act in such a way that your usb printer will be shared over a network but act as if it was connected directly to the PC via USB, when in reality the printer is connected to the MFP server's USB port. All functionality is available since it acts as if the printer where connected to the PC, you install the drivers etc on each PC, all the software from the printer will be able to see it and use it.

The only problem is that this requires you to have the MFP software installed in each PC, and it only lets one PC use a device at a time, since it will be used in a "home" environment I don't see why it wouldn't be OK.

A review of one of these devices: http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/networking_wireless_voip/tp-link/tl-ps310u/312884

Manufacturer website with a big compatibility list: http://www.tp-link.com/products/product_spe.asp?id=197

I have one and it works great, works with 64-bit OS's. :)

These devices are not expensive, and they won't consume a lot of power like a dedicated workstation would (even an outdated one). This would also avoid the expense of buying a new all-in-one printer, if it was a question of buying a new printer I would recommend a printer with network built in, but since the idea is to use one you already have.. the USB server seems like the best option.

Last edited:
I don't do the dedicated workstation route anymore. I like the built in functions...no permissions issues to deal with, lower power usage, always available, no software issues that effect everyone on the network.

Get one with built in networking for sure :)

The remote USB thing is nice, but it just requires a little special setup on each PC. The built in networking works very clean IMO.

I don't do the dedicated workstation route anymore. I like the built in functions...no permissions issues to deal with, lower power usage, always available, no software issues that effect everyone on the network.

Get one with built in networking for sure :)

The remote USB thing is nice, but it just requires a little special setup on each PC. The built in networking works very clean IMO.

Valid points, but I know how to handle permissions issues (and willing to help others). As for power, I keep mine on hibernate or standby and just hit the button on the front of the computer when you go into the office to turn on the printer. I don't leave anything on, including monitors and printers as they still draw significant power, even when they power themselves down after lack of use.

I use a Netgear wireless print server. My PC, printer, and wife's laptop are upstairs and the router is in the basement. I used to run the printer off my workstation, but that meant it always had to be on...more power consumed, yada yada. I have had great luck with it so far with my Samsung CLP-510. Picked mine up for 35 bucks off of craigslist.

Back