Recommend a PC game pad?

Abunai

n00b
I know these things a loath in WSAD land but third person action just doesn't jive as well with a keyboard/mouse so Im looking to get a quality pad for Psychonauts and probably GTA:SA when that comes out. Looking for something compatible with most games that has true analog control and wont fall apart in a month. I guess Logitech is the most famous brand for these things but Nyko seems to get some good reviews as well. Anyone else? What about those USB adapters for the PS2 pads? Little wary of the compatibility with those things but if they work well I might rather go that route since Im comfy with the dual shock.

Thanks for any help.

I still use my Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad. I've had it since it was new in 1998 and I love it. Recently, my brother-in-law bought one brand new off eBay for about $5 + S/H. Microsoft quit making them around a year ago and they can be found pretty cheap online. It works great in games like Need For Speed: Underground 2.

I read a review in a Computer Games mag that said this was the bomb due to the dual triggers:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2225,CONTENTID=9069

4788.jpg

2nd the Logitech Rumble Pad 2.

Either wired or wireless as pictured above.

I had the Logitech Rumble pad first and absolutely loved it. But after sitting on it like 5 times the right analogue stick wasn´t very accurate anymore :D so I switched to the P880 to see something else.

Of those though very similar I do preferr the ergonomics on the Rumble pad and rumble effects can be fun. Though the only game that made use of it was FIFA 2003 or what it was :)

But that rumble pad 2 seem like a solid choice for me. P880 if you like blue leds ;)

wow that pad is nice, which brings me to ask this question. Does anyone have/ has used one of those PS2 to USB adapters that let you use sony dualshock controllers with your pc? Seeing as how i have two of them and just have gotten used to how they fit in my hands it would be nice to be able to use it on the pc.

I have opted to wait to get GTA:SA for the pc instead of the PS2, so I was wondering how good they work out. I googled for them and found some that were around $15-20 depending which place you go, but, I don't really know how well they work, for ex. like all the shoulder button and and so on.

matcauth said:
wow that pad is nice, which brings me to ask this question. Does anyone have/ has used one of those PS2 to USB adapters that let you use sony dualshock controllers with your pc? Seeing as how i have two of them and just have gotten used to how they fit in my hands it would be nice to be able to use it on the pc.

I have opted to wait to get GTA:SA for the pc instead of the PS2, so I was wondering how good they work out. I googled for them and found some that were around $15-20 depending which place you go, but, I don't really know how well they work, for ex. like all the shoulder button and and so on.

yeah i have one its great
mine was like $12

I also have a PS1/PS2 controller adaptor. Cost $15 and has support for 2 controllers on one USB port. Defintely recommend it if you already have a PS1/PS2 controller.

Ok, cool that's all i needed to hear, thanks Jesus Faction and OpTiMaL. I'm gonna go ahead and spring for one, I saw one that was triangle-shaped on a site I think had a support for two controllers like that too. thanks man.

Yeah I was curious about the USB PS2 adapters as well. There's a couple different brands, is one considered the best quality or are they all just about the same? It doesn't seem like theres software to program some of them, so how are the compatibility issues? Seems like you could run into some problems there. Is analog fully supported in most games?

I have this one:

http://www.mayflash.com/pc/pc013/pc013.asp

Mine has worked great for me. I've used it for GTA: Vice City, PoP: Sands of Time, Lego Star Wars, and others without problems. The driver disk is required if you want rumble support though. Doesn't bother me, but something you might want to consider.

Also I haven't personally tried them but I've heard people say they like the adaptors from RadioShack.

mine has inputs for n64 and ps2 controllers (i dont think both at the same time tho)

it plugs and plays with the usb connector

no rumble tho

Jesus_Faction said:
mine has inputs for n64 and ps2 controllers (i dont think both at the same time tho)

it plugs and plays with the usb connector

no rumble tho

what brand is it?

I would love to be able to use a n64 controller on my pc

matcauth said:

I picked up one from the rat shack for just over $10 and it works great. I couldn't find a pad that I liked so I grabbed one and haven't used anything else since. WinXP sees all the buttons just fine and it even works with console emulators which kinda surprised me.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that you had already decided to get one.

Ok, cool thanks a bunch Bob, I didn't even know you could get them at radio shack.
that's sweet, I have one about 2 miles away from where I live so I can just drop in over there and check those out after work.

Back