recommend a machine to run untangle

knothead34

[H]ard|Gawd
how beefy of a machine is needed to run an untangle box? for 10 users and less maybe even 5 or less? would a socket 478 3.1 gig hertz 2 gig of ram do the trick?

thanks in advance

I would think that would be just fine.

Mine is running on an early 2.0 ghz p4 (Not HT just a straight up p4), with 2 gigs of ram and a 160 gb hard drive (it was laying around in the parts drawer so I grabbed it). I also have the 1 onboard 10/100 nic along with 2 pci nics for the lan and dmz ports.

Runs great with the new 7.2 version

Is it for your home or a business? In either case, what's the budget?

For your home, an old S478 3.1GHz machine and 2GB of memory is more than enough, however unless you need all the features at home you might be more impressed with the speed of pfsense. I love untangle, don't get me wrong - but it's a UTM that protects from multiple angles - and that does come at the cost of some added latency.

If it's for a business, I'd recommend you pick up something with some support on it. Regardless of user count. It could be a $299 special server deal from Dell - so long as it has support.

how beefy of a machine is needed to run an untangle box? for 10 users and less maybe even 5 or less? would a socket 478 3.1 gig hertz 2 gig of ram do the trick?

thanks in advance

Currently running Untangle on an old HP machine, P4 2.8 with 1.5GB of ram, and 40GB hard drive. It has Web Filter, Protocol Filter, Reports, AD Connector, Policy Manager, and Config Backup modules and manages 35 user. We mostly just use it for Web Filter and Reports. Been running for over a year without a problem.

The key to a good Untangle box is using GOOD hardware controller based NICs.
You could have the most potent dual quad core Xeon box with 4 or 8 gigs of RAM and 15k SCSI drives..but if you have crap software controller based NICs in it...it'll blow up on you every day and run like ass.

I have Untangle running smoothly at some clients, where I've revived some old business grade desktop computers of theirs...just an early vintage P4 like a 2.8GHz, with 1 gig of RAM, protecting a network of 50 computers, on a 20 meg pipe, and it runs smooth as butter, no slowdowns, and I reboot it perhaps once a year to do an Untangle upgrade. Good solid onboard intel NIC, and a 2nd NIC via PCI like an Intel or 3COM.

Good Intel Pro NICs, many 3COM models (some cheaper 3COMs are software based), and..even though I'm not fond of some Broadcoms with Windows Server...most server grade Broadcoms run well with *nix...Debian...hence Untangle. Stay away from crap cheap realtecs and other 9 dollar offerings.

Use good Intel chipset motherboards.

A 3Ghz Intel with 2 gigs of RAM should run very well...long as you use good NICs.

awesome thanks for the recommendations guys. this is home use. need some web filtering. spam filtering .......dont need all the features it has to offer.

Back