• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recommend a Lightweight Linux distro for Parents

Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
17
So, my parents computer is getting absolutely terrible and runs much slower than it has a right to. I've reformatted it on at least one occasion and that didn't seem to help. Since they only use it for internet and very occasional word processing they keep using that to justify not buying a new one (even if I build them a really cheap one for about 400). I think they are about ready to bite the bullet and let me build them a new one but I figure I would try to install Linux before I give up and build something. Literally 90% of the computer usage is just internet and sometimes they edit word documents so that is really all the linux distro would have to do. The pc is an old 2 GHz P4 with 512 mb of RAM with an 18gb hard drive so I was just wondering if anyone could recommend something. I'll just be setting everything up and then leaving it so it shouldn't require any maintenance. They have almost no technical knowledge but I wouldn't be worried about them not knowing how to use Linux because they don't know how to use Windows.

Thanks
 
Yeah, my rents are always getting spyware/malware , and would love some more recommendations on linux distros. Peppermint looks sweet!
 
Two great beginner distros for users that need to be weaned from Windows...
The original one..Ubuntu, and another built on it...called Mint.
I'm a fan of OpenSUSE myself...but for first timers, older people that only barely know Windows....give 'em Ubuntu or Mint. You'll avoid the "how do you do this?" questions a lot more.
 
Give em Ubuntu and Open Office, make a shortcut to everything they would normally use under windows and then name it something the will recognize. .
 
Yeah that is the general plan. Had I not told them I was doing this they probably would have thought I just changed the background. Thanks for all the feedback guys, I think I might go with Mint or Ubuntu. Considering something really small like DSL or Puppy Linux.
 
Back
Top