Recommend a good wireless router

rage4order

Gawd
I'm in the market for a wireless router/AP. It must have gigabit LAN and would like it to have 300mbps wireless rates. I've been looking at the Linksys E3000 but I'm a little hesitant because of some of the reviews about this thing getting hot. Heck, even reading thru threads on here, it seems like there's mixed reviews on most everything! What do you guys recommend? What brands should I try and what should I stay away from? I'd like to keep it under $100 but if I have to, I'm willing to spend more.

Go with a refurbed netgear WNDR3700v2. You can get them for around $60-$70. Don't waste your money on an E3000. I upgraded from one of those to a WNDR 3700v2 and I couldn't be happier.

First off there is a router thread that is a sticky at the very top of this topic...

Only downside of the V2 of that 3700 is that 5Ghz radio is far weaker than that of the V1. However if 5Ghz is of no concern than ...

I would recommend ASUS RT-N16 or BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH , both support open source DD-WRT which is a good thing. Both have strong antenna's and decent CPU's to handle the traffic. The Buffalo is only $66 on Newegg as well.

If you want dual band 2.4Ghz/5Ghz then this refurb Linksys E4200 will do the trick at $99 : http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Ro...-router_stcVVproductId133604734VVviewprod.htm

Keep in mind that the Linksys E4200 can't do 3 channel broadcasting (450mbps rating in other words) on the 2.4Ghz band but ONLY on the 5Ghz band is it able to connect at that rate. That means it can only do 20mhz 2.4Ghz with no channel bonding. But otherwise its a very good router. The only true step up starts at $179. Also I believe the Linksys E4200 supports DD-WRT while the newer V2 is a Marvel chipset and does NOT.

3rd on the WNDR3700. I <3 mine. Drop a 3rd-party firmware on it (I use DD-WRT) and it'll do virtually anything.

First off there is a router thread that is a sticky at the very top of this topic...

Only downside of the V2 of that 3700 is that 5Ghz radio is far weaker than that of the V1. However if 5Ghz is of no concern than ...

I would recommend ASUS RT-N16 or BUFFALO WZR-HP-G300NH , both support open source DD-WRT which is a good thing. Both have strong antenna's and decent CPU's to handle the traffic. The Buffalo is only $66 on Newegg as well.

If you want dual band 2.4Ghz/5Ghz then this refurb Linksys E4200 will do the trick at $99 : http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Ro...-router_stcVVproductId133604734VVviewprod.htm

Keep in mind that the Linksys E4200 can't do 3 channel broadcasting (450mbps rating in other words) on the 2.4Ghz band but ONLY on the 5Ghz band is it able to connect at that rate. That means it can only do 20mhz 2.4Ghz with no channel bonding. But otherwise its a very good router. The only true step up starts at $179. Also I believe the Linksys E4200 supports DD-WRT while the newer V2 is a Marvel chipset and does NOT.
Sorry about that. I just started reading thru threads and didn't even think to look up at the stickies. :(
I'm really not too worried about 5 ghz and honestly, I'm not really sure what that would do for me. If I can get a good deal on one tho, I guess I'd rather future-proof myself a bit. Newegg has that 3700 for $99 right now but I'll take a look at the other recommendations above. Thanks for all the input.

Quick question- how will I know if it's the 3700 or the 3700 v2? Should it say that in the description?

Quick question- how will I know if it's the 3700 or the 3700 v2? Should it say that in the description?

The one at newegg is actually a version 3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326&Tpk=WNDR3700

You can tell if you look at the Details tab under Package Contents.

A v1 does not say WNDR3700v1, just WNDR3700. Version 2 and 3 however will have the v2 and v3 respectively after a model name. Retail boxes do show the version.

The v3 is a Broadcom chipset though, not the Atheros one. From what I've heard it's basically a neutered WNDR4000. I don't think DD-WRT has a build for it yet, but it shouldn't take long.

E3000 works fine for me. Using tomato firmware. Asus RT-N16 is really good router if you don't need the 5ghz, its fast and has a lot of ram.

Ok, I wound up going with the wndr3700 and it appears I got the first version. I don't see anywhere on the packaging or the router a "v2". So, do you all recommend I install the DD-WRT firmware? How difficult is that to do?

Back