Recommend a good multiplayer FPS

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
6,279
Ok, so I have played CS:S, good game, good game, however I don't like how a person can die in like 1 second, in other words you die too fast and then have to wait at least a minute or so for next round.

So I downloaded the Quake 4 demo - multiplayer is just crazy. It's mindless, and way too fast, I think it's seriously for people with ADD.

I am looking for a game that is somewhere between these too - I hate to say this, but I played the Halo demo multiplayer for months, that was a great game for me.
 
There's Unreal Tournament 2004, if you can find people online.
Call of Duty / UO / 2 are fun too.
 
Wolfenstein Enemy Territory - free online multi player FPS game, my #1 favorite

F.E.A.R. - it's fast paced, but you will respawn unlike CS, honestly, one of the best multi player games i've ever played
 
Hulk said:
Ok, so I have played CS:S, good game, good game, however I don't like how a person can die in like 1 second, in other words you die too fast and then have to wait at least a minute or so for next round.

So I downloaded the Quake 4 demo - multiplayer is just crazy. It's mindless, and way too fast, I think it's seriously for people with ADD.

I am looking for a game that is somewhere between these too - I hate to say this, but I played the Halo demo multiplayer for months, that was a great game for me.

WarRock Beta

Same fast pace and weapon handling as CS, with the basic capture the flag gameplay of BF2.

And, it's FREE!

You might especially like rolling. When i'm sniping, and i've been made. It's actually faster to be able to roll sideways to cover rather than crawl. Wish they'd put that in BF2 :D
 
CS.... You don't die fast, if you can stay out of being awped or getting rocked by someone rthat's played for over 4 years.
 
tribes series is fun, if you like CTF rather than "shoot everything in sight"
 
I didn't like the CoD2 MP, DoD might be more your style if you like CS. I love DOD (original).
 
BF2 or CoD2. Don't go near DoD:S, the weapon handling seems designed to simulate an 8yr playing with his first gun more than a trained soldier, and the bastards move realy slowly unless you sprint, which you can only do for about 5 seconds anyway :(
Big letdown
 
I downloaded the BF2 demo today, this game is awesome, best FPS I have ever played.

I like how you can go in guns a blazing or be really sneaky and hide in the buildings and on top of the crane and just snipe away.

Even the controls for the flying vehicles are easy, only took about 30 min to get a hold of them.
 
All these bland, commercialized recommendations make me want to stick my finger down my throat... CSS, DoD, BF2, CoD2 is all the same old shit with a different name. Not to metnion all you will find is screaming 12 year old hackers. Also the BF series of games have the most poorly optimized engines of any mainstream fps. Try Red Orchestra, it's a mod for UT2K4 and will be a standalone game in a couple months. It's got loads of heart to it. Planetside is also good, but different.

Quake4 out of the box isn't great, but I'm hoping for some mods.
 
I have been playing RO for over a year now. Best FPS i have ever played. Once they work out the bugs in the retail release you cant go wrong.
 
NovaLogic Joint Operations - 150 person max servers - cna be fast paced, or slow what sever server you join, and alwas plenty of servers - and very little, or next to not hacking.
 
ive not played many new ones lately.


playing ghost recon with friends coop rocks

tribes and tribes 2 are great, and if you look you can get both for free. i liked the third one to, and you can find it new for $15 or less. its just not real popular.

heard good things about battlefront 2, first one was decent.

both call of duties were good, only played the demo for the new one so far.

Vietcong i had a blast playing for awhile, wanna play the second one now.

serious sam series can be fun with a few friends.

drawing a blank on more games,

aliens vs predator 2 was decent as well, could be creepy at times the way you can get attacked.
 
Wally said:
BF2 or CoD2. Don't go near DoD:S, the weapon handling seems designed to simulate an 8yr playing with his first gun more than a trained soldier, and the bastards move realy slowly unless you sprint, which you can only do for about 5 seconds anyway :(
Big letdown

Thats actually probably more accurate(at least for the allies), considering the draft.
 
Hulk said:
I downloaded the BF2 demo today, this game is awesome, best FPS I have ever played.

I like how you can go in guns a blazing or be really sneaky and hide in the buildings and on top of the crane and just snipe away.

Even the controls for the flying vehicles are easy, only took about 30 min to get a hold of them.

Hell yeah, BF2 is a blast! I'm addicted to it!
 
I dunno if I'd recommend Red Orchestra to someone who doesn't like people dying fast. Sure, you move slower, but death is even quicker than CS.. not to mention more infuriating at times.

I mean, in CS, there's pretty much three common scenarios: AWPed, which you get used to.. shot from a camping spot, but its usually visible and understandable, and flat out owned up close, which is what it is.

In RO, the three most common deaths are: Soviet 'nades, with something akin to 35 foot effective radius, which you can't escape from and pisses you off something fierce, shot from a camping spot by a rifleman, which is much worse in RO since he can be 3-4 pixels on your screen and practically blend in with the terrain (if not clip through it), and finally PPsh41 spammage, which while humorous is also rather annoying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge RO fan. I'm definitely getting Ostfront when it comes out, and still actively playing RO just about every day.. but it's definitely not a "newbie friendly" game. You have to have a high tolerance for pain / wasted time and preferably a few nice people to explain the basics to you. After that, you have to get used to aiming at ... small... people. Really, really freakin' small.. because if they aren't 200 yards away, chances are they are camped somewhere so that all you see is the edge of their helmet.

Of course, this is the opinion of someone who'd rate themselves 6/10 on average and maybe 8 on a good day (at RO in general). I'm certainly not one of the demi-godlike people of the game... if you play enough, you know what I'm talking about. The "I see a Russian in the distance that looks like a blob of semi brown pixels, and before I can even raise my gun and start aiming he's already crouched and has put a rifle shell through my face" people.

All of that aside, it's an amusing game. It's suprisingly rewarding to have a good round with a rifle.. and good lord is it high-larious to get a PPsh41 and yell AAAAAAAAAAAGH MOTHERLAND as you spam your way towards the enemy. It's gotta be infuriating when Mr. Schutze misses his one rifle shot at close range, then watches as you waste 30 bullets in a massive spamwave that does nothing more than gimp him before finally finishing him off with bullet no.50-something.. and you still have 20 bullets left ;)
 
Wally said:
BF2 or CoD2. Don't go near DoD:S, the weapon handling seems designed to simulate an 8yr playing with his first gun more than a trained soldier, and the bastards move realy slowly unless you sprint, which you can only do for about 5 seconds anyway :(
Big letdown


lol you must be one of the bunny hoppers in bf2 that i kill with a noob tube ....

you can't bunny hop and shoot in dod:s ...

i'm not saying dod:s is perfect ... but for $20's not bad ...
 
Quake III Arena. Rail Gun rules.(and endorsed by Fatality,HAHAHAHAHA) :eek:
 
COD2 or DOD Source? Which one lets me live longer? Also, does DOD make you wait round per round like CS?
 
You probably won't like bf2. Its boring to be on a server with only 10 people, and its ultra anooying to be on one with 25+. You die in a matter of seconds and have no idea from where. Every onve ina while you can find a good server but not often. Thats just me though.

Try CSS deathmatches. You spawn instantly and you also get practive so when you do compete in matches you don't get smoked instantly.

When you can consistanlty win 100 kill deathmatches then you know you can do pretty good in regular matches. This is how I measure anyway....
 
Oh, I agree with the OP on DODS. It sucks, big time. The recoil is way to much and the sprint actions sucks. It was such a big let down. I bought it, played it 3 times and haven't played it since. I wish I could return it for something else.....like the new one coming out..red orchestra i think...?
 
cs:source is great fun!...FEAR multiplayer is really good too, but not the most popular :(
 
FEAR has some interesting maps to play, and with the slow mo online play can be really fun.
I'd say it's one of the better games to have come out since HL2.
 
Is COD 2 anything like COD multiplayer wise? Because I hated COD multi. especially the weapons, I mean I know its set during the war but the weapons just sucked IMO.

Now, lets talk about how great BF2 is. I dont even have the retail version yet, just the demo which is just one map. I'm addicted to it already.

I found this really tall building in the demo and I got a great idea - it would be perfect for sniping. So at first I was trying to jump out or airplanes, helicopters and trying to land on it but that didnt work too well. Then I noticed theres a ladder leading up to it so that made it a lot easier.

So anyways, this is what really got my blood pumping. I was sniping people left and right from on top of the building when all of a sudden the enemy chopper spotted me - so there I was on top of this huge building with a helicopter trying to shoot at me, I felt like I was in a movie!

Another time I was sniping a machine gunner sitting on top of a tank, they noticed me and started shooting tank rounds at me which also got my blood pumping (I was on top of the same tall building).

Nothing makes me laugh more then sniping some poor schmuck whos running in circles and him not knowing where the shots are coming from.

Also I enjoyed watching an enemy sniper climb all of the ladders on the crane only to be sniped once he reached the top.

Great game.
 
Firewall said:
Try CSS deathmatches. You spawn instantly and you also get practive so when you do compete in matches you don't get smoked instantly.

Wow! I had no idea this was an option. So it's just a server variable or ?
 
I think its a server type.

it sucks to tell you the truth.

when you die you respawn right away, it gets old really quickly and i didnt think it helped me as far as practice goes, but you should try it ouf for yourself and see.
 
Back
Top