Recommend a good Gibabit switch?

deep22

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new computer and it has onboard gigabit capability (MSI k8n neo plat). I'm looking for a good gigabit switch... any suggestions?

:confused:

Well, just because your machine has gigabit onboard, what do you plan to do with your network before you go and shell out a bunch of money? Most broadband connections won't exceed 10mbit, and 100mbit is good enough for the desktop in most situations, where you can get a good 10/100 or wireless router/switch with 10/100 ports built in for less than $50 right here on the [H]ardforums in FS/FT, it doesn't make sense to spend the money on a gigabit switch unless your pushing large amounts of data (video editing, ISOs, etc.) across the internal network. Also, switches do not route data unless it's a multilayered switch, so you'd still be using a 10/100 router unless you don't want to create a routed network, unless you buy a multilayered gigabit switch that supports copper.

Anyway, here's the link for newegg's selection of gigabit switches.

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchPro...t=Go&description=gigabit&Range=1&InnerCata=30

Just my $0.02.

Wow, you really didn't have to beat me with the noob-stick just for asking about a gig switch recommendation.

Thanks for the link... but I was really looking for a recommendation for a switch...

On the cheep (low end), grab a linksys. I have yet to see a linksys "switch" with any problems.
Got the extra money, grab a 3com SuperStack 4900. Near top of the line if not top of the line.

the dell one's are shweet. fan less design so its ultra quite. plus the power supply is internal so there are no ac bricks!

Didn't mean to come off like a prick, but you'd be better off saving that cash spent on the switch and spend it on more RAM, or a better HSF to O/C with, or a watercooling system.

The Dell PowerConnects are pretty good but the total gigabit managed switches are about $1000 for a 12 port, and the others only have gigabit uplinks. Also the 3Com OfficeConnects are 5 ports for about $120, so do you want managed or unmanged switches?

Although not a great brand, you can get a Compex 24 port 10/100 managed rackmount switch for about the same price as the OfficeConnect @ newegg.

dreamnid said:
Not really a recommendation since I don't have them but the Dell switches seems to have a pretty good value and from what I heard from other people in the forums, they work very well. I think I saw the 24 port switch in the upper $300 range when Dell has their random sales.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/2000_workgroup_gig?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

I've got the 8 port unmanaged Gigabit switch. I've got a cheap router hanging off it to serve DHCP and connect to the Internet. No problems with the setup whatsoever.

I paid about $120 for the switch, and a month later Dell had a sale where it would've cost me < $80. A bit of patience could save you a wad of cash.

3com is pretty much top of the line. We have 3 here at work. I just recently ordered a 10/100 24 port Linksys.

Didn't mean to come off like a prick, but you'd be better off saving that cash spent on the switch and spend it on more RAM, or a better HSF to O/C with, or a watercooling system.

Sigh... dude ok, I don't know why I'm bothering to defend myself here... but my system already has a gig of corsair xms ram, a pretty nice zalman cnps7000a HSF...

I'm looking mostly for an unmanaged switch...

3com is pretty much top of the line. We have 3 here at work. I just recently ordered a 10/100 24 port Linksys

Is it the EtherFast 3124? We have five of them at work and they're solid performers. Great 10/100 switch, you wont be sorry.

3124.jpg

deep22 said:
Is it the EtherFast 3124? We have five of them at work and they're solid performers. Great 10/100 switch, you wont be sorry.

3124.jpg

Two words, "CABLE MANAGEMENT"

Hehe, I know... its a temporary setup for now... my boss is kinda sloppy about stuff. We just moved into that building.

Some people think "neatness counts." His philosophy is "whatever works."

deep22 said:
Hehe, I know... its a temporary setup for now... my boss is kinda sloppy about stuff. We just moved into that building.

Some people think "neatness counts." His philosophy is "whatever works."

We had about 4 switches and a router all connected together all for 20 computers/printers. Now the 24 port takes care of it all! Works great installed it today!

DVAmon said:
The Dell PowerConnects are pretty good but the total gigabit managed switches are about $1000 for a 12 port, and the others only have gigabit uplinks. Also the 3Com OfficeConnects are 5 ports for about $120, so do you want managed or unmanged switches?

The link I posted pointed to Dell's unmanaged switches - all of the ports are 10/100/1000. You're probably thinking of the PowerConnect 2324 which does have 2 gigabit ports, but the 2600 series are all gigabit ports unless I'm really missing something.

omega-x said:
would a gigabit PCI card saturate a 32bit PCI bus and be limited by it?

1000 megabits per second.

1000 / 8 = 125 megabytes per second.

PCI max data rate = 133 megabytes per second.

On the thread topic, I've never used the brand and they look kinda sketchy, but I've seen at Fry's 5 port Airlink gigabit switches for about $50

dreamnid said:
The link I posted pointed to Dell's unmanaged switches - all of the ports are 10/100/1000. You're probably thinking of the PowerConnect 2324 which does have 2 gigabit ports, but the 2600 series are all gigabit ports unless I'm really missing something.

Yeah, I was looking at the managed switches since I haven't messed with unmanged switches (except at home) for a while now. :)

Deadlierchair said:

Which is a yes if you have anything on the PCI bus such as a SATA controller it will be saturated since it is a shared bus.

dreamnid said:
If it is integrated in your chipset, I don't this that is that case.

Right, however be aware that some onboard gigabit are just that builtin to the motherboard and use the PCI bus, much like some IDE RAID chips builtin.

Deadlierchair said:

Well not exactly, full duplex (required) gigabit is 2000mbit, you can max out the pci bus, even worse if your hard drivers run off the pci bus as well.

Ah, I always assumed half duplex would mean 500 mbits and full would be 1000. Even with my error it still shows that you'd be in a little bit of trouble if you had a bunch of stuff on top of a gigabit ethernet card on the PCI bus.

Check out the 8-port SMC switch. It supports Jumbo
frames which helps increase the transfer speed. You probably need a gigabit card that supports it, SMC has a couple models that do.

dreamnid said:
That's why PCI-X should hurry up :-P
ignorance must be bliss :p

PCI-X is and has been here for a while. its 'server PCI'... the tyan tiger MP is one board that has it. 64 bit 66Mhz PCI. ive seen some that run 133Mhz 64 bit and I also know that there was 33Mhz 64 bit PCI. that is all PCI-X

what you are talking about is PCI-E (PCI-Experess)

oh on switches. Ive been considering going gigabit and running a file server for all my big files. hence the neccecity for Gbps bandwidth. I am quite serious about the netgear non-rack gigabit 8 port unmanaged switch.

I just ordered one of 3Coms new Gigabit Office Connect Switches from work for my home use for $90 *base value, retail is higher I believe*

In my experience, 3Com makes real good switches. The extra money is well worth spent vs D-link or Linksys.

3Com Gigabit Office Connect Switch
prd_lg_3c1670500.gif

Back