Recommend a good Antivirus Software

Chomp

Gawd
Just as the title says, I'm looking for the best antivirus software out there.

I've used Norton, but it seems to overlook things even when complete/deep scanning is enabled.

I've also used the free version of AVG antivirus, but it seems low budget :rolleyes:

I basically want something that scans extremely well, and doesn't use up a bunch of system resources (my friend has this McAfee security center that bogs his computer down big time, and it's a new computer).

Something free would be nice..or at least a trial version :)

Personally I prefer mcafee. Try using google to find some free stuff. I typed in free virus scan and got alot of results.

I think the old saying of you get what you pay for can apply quite well to anti-virus software.
Not that the free ones are bad, but it all depends on your habits and your level of risk.
You should at least use a free one. If you feel you're a more adventurous user of the web and what you click and where you go and what you download would warrant more than what a freebie av could give you try for one of the major 4.

Norton
NOD32
McAffee
Kaspersky

EZ-Trust may still offer a one year deal on their av, I don't have a link right now, but I'm sure someone does.

I'm a big fan of Panda Antivirus. I did a lot of research into this about a year ago because a client of mine needed a quality antivirus that doesn't take up a lot of room and resources. Panda was consistenly rated either #1 or #2 by many publications like PC Mag etc.

Check it out at www.pandasoftware.com

Sigh... if you want protection against viruses and worms without having to buy an additional app to handle each. Kaspersky or McAfee 8.0 (it does have very good detection rates for all types of threats). My recommendation is for Kaspersky because support is very responsive.

Panda, had and returned both Platinum and Titanium (better engine than Plat). Support was horrible, ran into some compatibility issues.

NOD32 does fine with viruses and falls short on worms and trojans. Yes it does well on VB, but VB tests haven't changed to reflect the current threat environment. If you use it as the basis for your view, I'd suggest heading out to the garage, pulling out a hammer and pounding yourself on the head.

www.av-comparatives.org click comparatives and review results.

In German, but don't need to read it to understand the chart.
http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=693

I would also recommend avoiding reading reviews in sources like PCMag, cNet etc... the people that write the articles couldn't find their ass with both their hands. Not to mention, advertising dollars has an interesting influence on the outcome of the review and whether or not certain products are even included.

tazdevl said:
I would also recommend avoiding reading reviews in sources like PCMag, cNet etc... the people that write the articles couldn't find their ass with both their hands. Not to mention, advertising dollars has an interesting influence on the outcome of the review and whether or not certain products are even included.

Yeah because Kapersky and Panda have huge advertising budgets. :rolleyes:

I've had excellent response from Panda's support when I needed it.

And since I'm one of those people that write such articles,
nofu.gif

I use NOD32, but also TDS-3, and a host of other freeware in a layered defense

Wow i never heard of NOD32 or Kaspersky. lol.

Im still using Norton AntiVirus 5.0 (1998 i think hehe) with latest virus def. Just wondering is it good as the latest ones? (i thought it would be as long as its got latest def..)

Also i never have the virus program runnin on background cos it slow things down, only use it to scan download files, attachments, etc. Is there any reason why i should have it on all the time?

NOD32 has three great advantages
it largely relys on heuristic detection and doesnt need the updates to catch alot of malware
(though its best to get them)
its extremely light on the resources so let it monitor realtime
and it doesnt tie into the system at such a low level that you need a crowbar to remove it
(something Norton is famous for)

My 2nd choice would be Kaspersky

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=767914

but then your AV is just one layer of defense
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=763134

Sophos or AVG. Catch EVERYTHING and both have very little system overhead. Sure they aren't as pretty or maybe even not as easy. I'd rather have the performance and make sure all the stuff gets caught. Many a Norton system fully updated has come into the shop stating all is well, no viruses to be found. I put on AVG and it finds a bunch. Now part of that might be what exactly is a virus? Maybe AVG is a little more picky (borderline stuff like spyware maybe...).

Addendum. I haven't used Sophos in years so it could have changed. I have however used AVG for years and years, and you can't beat the price. In a lot of cases its half the retail cost of all others, plus you get a two year subscription instead of one.

Free:: AVGFreeEdition. I use it. I like it. As to your claim that it "seems cheap." So does Spybot S&D, yet it's pretty damn good too. Oh hold up a sec, what's that thing..starts w/ an "L", ends w/ an "x"..I think it's free too..yeah..

Pay For: Nod32, i've heard amazing things about it, esp. from IceCzar, so (since i trust him) i'd say that's what you should go for.

as for Norton: A)i despise it, i don't like it's baby user interface nor it's shenanigans.
B)it's too popular; virus writers will be writing with Norton in mind, meaning they will have defense agaisnt Norton in particular, or even Norton exploits.

Just to clarify. There is the free version of AVG (6.0) which is free only to home users, and then theres the Professional Edition (7.0) which has a better interface and more options. As to which you might pick over the other, the one I've used all these years is the free one. It's kept me clean.

Back