Recommend a CPU for this MB.

agentzero9

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 27, 2002
Messages
2,799
I am strongly cosidering getting this motherboard for a budget box.

Now, I just need a decent gaming CPU for it. I'm trying to stay in the $100-$130 range. Rev 2 of this motherboard supports prescotts, but prescotts are bad idea right, because they run hot and offer little to no performance over Northwoods. So I guess I'm looking for a Northwood with HT. Any ideas?
 
Go the used route, you can get a 2.4 with hyperthreading easily for $130. This is the prescott but the 2.4 is supposed to be one of the few good prescotts.
 
Kickus_assius said:
Go the used route, you can get a 2.4 with hyperthreading easily for $130. This is the prescott but the 2.4 is supposed to be one of the few good prescotts.

All of the prescott line are "good" at what they do, the price is just unjustified for certain chips. As for the Prescott 2.4, it's a good chip but the FSB will seriously hamper the performance, so overclocking would certainly be worth it.
 
Back
Top