• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommend a cheap Android Tablet

Atlantian

n00b
Joined
Nov 21, 2006
Messages
55
Hey Gurus,

Tablets are not my thing, but saw there are some great recipe managing Apps for Android.

I want to get a cheap Android Tablet for my girl friend for use in the kitchen. I don't care about anything else. Basically want to use it as a digital cook book/cooking tool.

She is a pintrest nut and has tons of old hand written recipes. Again, I saw some great apps for android that could make her "collection" a lot more useful.

So what I am looking for is a cheap, and around 6 or 7 inch screen tablet.

Doing quick google-fu I can see some that are priced at $40-$50 but I have no idea if they will just go up in smoke the first time I turn them on.

So any recommendations for a cheap tablet in the $30-$60 range?

Thanks in advance!
 
Well I don't care about youtube, netfilx, gaming, or anything that is really resource heavy. That's why the low price range in my mind.

However, if someone has recommendations for a tablet at a slightly higher $80-$90, I would considerate it. Though again would rather be down around $60.
 
Look for a Nook HD. Target is supposed to have it for $80 on Black Friday.

In the $30-60 range, look at used devices. You can get a used 1st gen Kindle Fire for that price.
 
Well I don't care about youtube, netfilx, gaming, or anything that is really resource heavy. That's why the low price range in my mind.

Just an FYI but you're totally off base with what's resource heavy and what isn't. Youtube and Netflix are easy peasy, no problem. Hence why ultra cheap devices like the Chromecast don't have a problem with them at all.

Scrolling a 2d list in a recipe app, though, that shit is *expensive*. Not joking in the slightest. A ~$50 tablet is going to be painful to use. But if it's mainly just serving as a static display, that might not be a problem.

If you can bump the budget I'd suggest a used Nexus 7 2012, they seem to be around the $100 mark. Otherwise you could try your luck at buying one of the dozens of generic, no name Android tablets on ebay that are $50-60.
 
And that's why I am here. I have no clue about tablets, never really had one.

With Black Friday coming, I am thinking of holding out to see what deals there may be.

So what would you say as minimum spec's for a "scrolling type" app?
 
So what would you say as minimum spec's for a "scrolling type" app?

It's hard to quantify as there are lots of unpublished parts to that problem like the touch controller. But typically you'll want to pay more attention to the GPU & screen resolution. There are lots of tablets out there that pair a slow to mediocre GPU with a high screen resolution - that doesn't work. It's almost a given that any 1080p tablet you encounter is going to suck at this price level.

I've heard that the cheap import devices tend to lie about their specs as well, which will make this more exciting. Also watch out for things that just advertise that it's a quad-core or whatnot. There's a lot of devices out there that while yes they are quad core, they used 4 super slow cores. You're vastly better off with 2 faster cores. Something like a Cortex A9, which is what's in the Tegra 3, would be a good price/performance ratio at this budget level.
 
Back
Top