• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommend a 19" flat CRT?

Sou| Colossus

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
105
Looking for a 19" flat CRT in the range of $250 or less. I used to have a Samsung SyncMaster 997DF that burned out, which was sweet, but it seems to have vanished from newegg and even Samsung's site. There's a similar model on newegg but it's cheaper and I'm afraid it's lesser in quality, so I'm not going to take that chance just yet.

Also my preferred resolution is 2048x1536, however most monitors that say their max is like 1920x1440 support that res anyways.

Thanks ahead
 
Ever think you killed your last 19" by running it beyond spec?

Newegg doesn't have any?
 
I've been looking at the SAMSUNG 997mb. Probably the same one you were looking at. If that thing is lesser in quality than what you had before then what you had before was insane, and probably no longer exists in this LCD saturated market.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001068

.20mm dot pitch + 19" + $179.99 = very good.

I've been tossing around the idea of looking on eBay for particular KDS models. My last KDS model could do your resolution and was .24mm, very good. It just kinda crapped out on me after it's 2nd year, kept making very LOUD buzzing noise. Friend said the guns were dying.

I think KDS is out of business though.
 
Menelmarar said:
Ever think you killed your last 19" by running it beyond spec?

When it went out it was when my bedroom got flooded with water. I was able to get all of my electronics off of the floor, including the power strips (a little water got on them, though). When I hooked everything back up, the monitor was dead, so I had just assumed it was the water. You could be right, however.

Eärendil said:
I've been looking at the SAMSUNG 997mb. Probably the same one you were looking at. If that thing is lesser in quality than what you had before then what you had before was insane, and probably no longer exists in this LCD saturated market.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16824001068

.20mm dot pitch + 19" + $179.99 = very good.

Yeah this is the one I saw. Now that I think about it, I think my old one had one complaint in the customer reviews about slight horizontal lines (which it did have), and this one seems to have higher praise. I'll probably end up getting this since I had a good experience with the last one, unless someone suggests something better.
 
I'm currently using the 997MB for almost a year now and it has been going ok. The only thing I've noticed is when I run it at 1600x1200 @ 70hz, I notice the screen on the right side of the monitor would flicker a little bit. I can only notice this when looking at a pure white background. Otherwise, I wouldn't even know it is happening.
 
how old was your 997DF? as far as i know, they have a 3 year warranty, maybe give Samsung a call and see if they can fix/replace it. I've got a pair of the 997DF's as well and I think they are awesome monitors for the price. I'd like to get a 3rd one so that all my monitors on my desk look the same. The mb looks like it has the same specs and identical look as the df.
 
Yeah I called them about it, they said that type of damage would have costed more than it was worth so the warrenty doesn't cover it. Heh it's not like the monitor even got wet, just the power stip. I'd imagine that they'd just have to swap out it's PSU or something, but whatever.

That reminds me, I need to find somewhere to get rid of this thing.. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to just throw them out in the dumpster but recycle them or something.
 
Don't they sell those at Best Buy still? I picked mine up there about a year ago for 200, and only a few months later it was at 179.99.

-wil
 
The best monitor that I have ever used, or seen, of any kind is the LaCie Electronblue IV. I've using the 19" version, but they also make a 21" that has a built in usb hub and dual inputs. There really is no comparison to the color clarity and black levels in any other display I have ever laid eyes on. I mean it really is incredible.

The bad thing is LaCie has stopped production of the CRT to move into the more highend LCD market. If you're lucky you might get a 19" Electronblue IV used from ebay within your price range, but that really is a long shot since they seem to be fetching more than retail now that they're out of production.

I've also seen these Samsungs in person, and I personally thought they were terrible looking. It may just be me after coming from a LaCie, but I would never buy one.
 
Back
Top