Recommeded Setup for my 4 Cisco 1800 series Routers

I have 4 Cisco 1800 series routers and I want to use one of them for my firewall until I get my ASA 5505 that I forgot up to my apartment. I want to do a VPN on the router that will act as my firewall, but what should I do with the other three. I was thinking making Router 1 the top router the firewall and the other three a partial mesh. How would I do that? How many subnets or networks would I need? I plan to have one server and a NAS as well, which will all be connected to a 1500 Watt UPS. I may connect my laptops as well ocassionally. One Laptop is a PC and the other is a Mac, which I may put Ubuntu Linux on the Laptop PC. Each ISR has 2 FE ports and 8 switch ports, there's a NAS, a server, and two laptops I may expect to hook up to that equipment if that information helps. I think that's all I can tell you at the moment.

Last edited:
What exactly is the point of this? I wouldn't even bother setting up the VPN if you are getting the ASA5505 soon. What type of VPN do you plan on setting up? Setting up a VPN from an 18/1900 series router to an ASA is pretty much impossible, so I wouldn't plan on that.

If you want to things to do, get a couple of Cisco Catalysts, and study for the CCNA since you have the equipment.

Back