Recomendations On LCD Panel

smartguy

n00b
Right now I have 17" , looking to upgrade to a 20.1" ws or 22" the card I have is 6600gt(1920 x 1080 max) and will be using dvi to connect whichever monitor I will get. I am trying to keep my purchase $400 or less if I can. So far I narrowed down to these :-
a) dell 2007WFP (getting this for $380)
b) LG204WT
c) samsung 205BW

I will be using this monitor for gaming , photoshop so good quality is important to me. Any recomendations will help. Does anyknow knows if dell is still shipping
Dell 2007WFP - 20" WS LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201W01)
Dell 2007FP - 20" LG.Philips S-IPS (LM201U04) either of them in the US.

I just ordered the Dell 2007fpw. I'm hopeful for the IPS panel, but not holding my breath at this point. The Dell is coming for just under $360 including tax, shipping, environmental deposit fee, and $4 for the 10% coupon off ebay.
Ron

any reason you went with dell instead of samsung or acer, isn't dell already offering 20% for things over $499.

Dell will ship an S-IPS 2007WFP depending on your location, if there are any left. I think any new 2007WFPs being manufactured are S-PVA. From what I know, 2007FPs have been shipped with S-PVAs for quite awhile now.

The LG and Samsung monitors you have listed are no where near in price comparison as the Dell, right? Because, if you can find them for all at similar prices, there's no doubt that you should opt for the Dell (regardless if you get an IPS or PVA). Of course, there are some people however who can't stand PVA, and have said that SIPS > TN > PVA. Personally I havn't had a chance to make these comparisons so I wouldn't be able to help you.. sorry about that :).

well samsung and lg are little cheaper than dell . Dell is close to 400 vs acer I can get 22" for that price. as for location I am in northeast.

I am trying to get best for my money thats all.

I have owned several Dell widescreens: three of them from the same revision, batch, fab, and month. All three had widely disparate levels of backlight bleeding ranging from three corners and the top middle, to huge amorphous blobs spanning significant amounts of screen real-estate. The support was a nightmare. It took 8 months to get a refund from them, during which time I called no less than 20 times experiencing the run of the gamut. From "we've never heard of you or your problem, start from the beginning" to "we think you are trying to keep the monitors and get a refund, too" (Yes they flatly accused me of dishonesty).

Although this is just one man's experience, the issues with large widescreen panels aren't exclusive to Dell. I have yet to find a single WS that is consistently decent quality. It's practically a crapshoot wrt what you'll end up taking home.

My advice is to buy locally so that you can ease the return/exchange process into something manageable. I can't trust that a mail ordered LCD will be the right one and when you do get a lemon, trying to explain backlight bleeding to Lakshmi/"Shirley" isn't fun at all.

Too many people are too quick to recommend a particular screen, imo. I won't presume to know what you like to look at, so I won't plug my own monitor or extoll its virtues. I will say that after the hell I went through looking for a decent WS, I did NOT settle for less when I bought my current screen. It's what I wanted and then some.

Just mho.

The Viewsonic VX2025WM, which has a P-MVA panel, has a good reputation. I think they may have been discontinued, but they're in stock many places. I think I saw one at Fry's for around $350, and they're available "like new" on eBay or Craigslist for about $250 or less.

Good luck with your purchase.

I have narrowed down to these three monitors
samsung 204bw and 205bw whats the difference between these two, L204WT and dell ultrasharp 2007wfp.

I think the 204bw uses an older TN panel where the 205bw uses a newer panel similar to the LG. The 205bw is know to have backlight bleeding. I am trying my third Dell 2007fpw in the lottery. I don't have high hopes. I will probably go for a Spectre x22wg-Gamer and compare it to the 2007fpw PVA over Christmas. Hopefully I will get my Spyder and be able to calibrate both to compare.

so 204bw is better than 205bw , how can someone tell the difference between S-IPS and S-PVAs when they are sitting few feet away from it. I can understand back light bleeding.
I couldn't tell what kind of panel it was at a dell store , the menu was disabled.

I think there is no monitor out there which is 100% perfect. Is Lg little better than dell does anyone has LG, as for price difference between 204bw and dell its only $30.00.

Anyone knows 2007WFP LCD MONITOR REV. A02 is a s-ips panel or no ??

PVA has a problem viewing dark scenes straight on. On page 4 of the "Dell Panel Lottery" thread is a picture of a castle. On the PVA it is a black blob. You have to move off center to see the shading. On IPS it should look fine just like a CRT.

Also found out 205bw has HDCP where 204 doesn't.

Majority of A02's should be IPS.

Back