• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recomendations on breakout-box cards

skullone

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
91
Im looking to replace my Gametheatre XP 5.1 soundcard / break out box setup.
The box doesn't pre-amp the headphone output very much, so turning up the volume just distorts it a lot vs. my Aiwa shelf system that does pre-amp the headphones.
Also, the headphone plug keeps coming loose, and I have to solder it back together all the time!

Does anyone have any recomendations on a sound card that comes with an breakout box, with at least volume controls for the headphone and line in on the box?
Would idealy have a nice headphone pre-amp, so I dont have to use another receiver to other device to amp the signal.

Im using a set of Sennheiser HD-580's, which sound immaculate on my Aiwa, but sound entirely underpowered on my computer.
Thanks!
 
ummm.. a preamp output is generally an unamplified signal that is meant to then be amplified. That's what pre(before)amp(lifier) means. I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen a sound card with an external box for volume control. I think your best option would be to get a headphone amp, especially for those headphones. That'll give you your little external box with a volume control that you want, and it'll probably cost about the same as a new soundcard.


edit: yeah so I had just woken up when I posted that and I was kinda out of it so just ignore a lot of that. I still say a headphone amp is your best bet.
 
Back
Top