Recomend me a wireless router?

ok, i have a laptop and my sister is getting a desktop for chrstimas

im just going to jump into the wireless market i guess and go with it

recomend me a wireless router please, and a good wireless card.......firewall/vpn built in is a plus if thats possbile, good name brand, and not much over 50-60 for the router like no more than 20 for the wifi pci card (laptop has built in 802.11b/g/a i think?

thanks......and any tips/tricks i can make speeds faster/more stable?

soulsaver

In your price range, the Linksys MIMO router, the wrt54gx with SRX, is out of the budget. But you can find the Belkin Pre-N for in the mid-80's, and Linksys just came out with a kid brother version of their MIMO router, the wrt54gx2, which has been getting great review, and should be close in price.

If you're anywhere near worried about the signal reaching where your computers would be, I'd recommend the above..trying to spend just a bit more to get a MIMO router.

well it isnt reaching the computers is the problem, lol i can give my walls a good punch and be on in the other room :p

its just i have no clue about wireless and i wanna make sure its stable/wont hicup or anything

another question, the cd's that come with the router, do i need to load those on any machine? or is this kinda plug and play and go on with it?

soulsaver

i've read tons of reviews for the wrt54 and the wrt54gs. both are supposedly great, but can you update the firmware on the gs model like you can with the regular wrt54?

You can't update the firmware to 3rd party on the new WRT54g routers. Check to see what version you're getting before you buy. The new ones are version 5 and will not allow 3rd party firmware. 2.2 and 3 seem to support almost every firmware out there.

Version 5 has an "easy setup button" on the front left that is the cisco logo.

If you're stuck on the stock firmware, not a big deal if you are going to use it strictly as a router, but if you want options and like to customize, you will be happier with a 3rd party firmware. For example, you can use the router as a wireless bridge with 3rd party firmware, but cannot with stock linksys firmware.

The WRT54GL is supposed to be able to use 3rd party firmware still, so look out for that one if you can't find an older version.

Don't worry about all this talk about firmware upgrades as you just want a easy to use wireless router.

If you want to upgrade 3rsd party firmware, you set dedicated bandwidth priority and all other advanced features that you most likely wont use. There is no way to see what version router you're purchasing so it's luck of the draw but even the version 5's are great wireless routers, just can't flash with non official firmware.

Back