Recognized as PC6400 instead of PC8500

CousinVin

Limp Gawd
I just got my system up and running finally today. I downloaded CPU-Z, and noticed its recognizing my ram as PC6400 and not PC8500. Its some OCZ Reaper HPC ram. Its running on an ASUS M3A78-T with an AMD phenom II X4 940. What went wrong?

EDIT: also, I'm using Windows 7 64bit

Nothing really went wrong, just go into your BIOS and adjust the voltage, timings and DRAM frequency to what your memory is specced for and you should be good to go.

Not really.. I have PC8500 G.SKILL and it shows the PC2-6400 under CPU-Z but definately it lists the model as PC8500..

Well, since I'm using the windows 7 beta, I can't install the drivers for the motherboard. maybe that has something to do with it?

Why can't you install the drivers? Use compatibility mode if necessary... and check the RAM speeds with other apps too, like PCWizard from the makers of CPU-Z, or Everest from Lavalys. Never trust just one app for reading that stuff...

Well, since I'm using the windows 7 beta, I can't install the drivers for the motherboard. maybe that has something to do with it?

no it has nothing to do with the OS. go to the bios and set to 533mhz and the proper timings.

Not really.. I have PC8500 G.SKILL and it shows the PC2-6400 under CPU-Z but definately it lists the model as PC8500..

Also, you are looking the wrong tab. This page you have shown is displaying the SPD tables. Look at the MEMORY tab. Keep in mind also that it will show actual frequency, not the DDR rate. So, when you get the BIOS set correctly, this should indicate 533mhz.

Most RAM rated for higher than DDR2800 won't auto choose the right settings in the BIOS. This sounds like strictly a BIOS setting related issue that is independent of the OS.

Look in your manual in the BIOS section. It will tell you where to find the memory adjustments.

Also, you are looking the wrong tab. This page you have shown is displaying the SPD tables. Look at the MEMORY tab. Keep in mind also that it will show actual frequency, not the DDR rate. So, when you get the BIOS set correctly, this should indicate 533mhz.

hes making the point that max bandwidth shows 6400, while the model number clearly indicated 8500

Keep in mind that 8500 is not a JEDEC standard, while 6400 is. That is most likely why the SPD tab is showing 6400 as the highest frequency. I believe the latest version of cpu-z may be able to read non-JEDEC standard speeds as rated by the chips on the memory.

ok i can get into the bios settings fine and into the Memory Clock Mode, but then I have the options of 400, 533, 667, 800, and 1066.

The only reason I ask is cuz some people have told me to set it to 533 and others tell me 1066.

EDIT: nvm on that. its DDR2 so its 533, but what do I change to get the timing up to what I want it?

CAS,TRCD,TRP, and TRAS?

EDIT AGAIN: I got it I think. but the DRAM frequency jumps around by like +/- .5 hz

cpuzram.png

ive got the same board vin, set it to 1067 in bios, the timings look good 5,5,5,15 on my kingston hyper-x

nope look at your cpu-z freq 267 =533

set it to 1067,open cpu -z it'll read 533 or 534...

[IM]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/daytripper67mi/screenie.jpg[MG]

Hah alright. and I thought it was running fast now... Alright I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks

glad to help,i'm trying to figure out the bank cycle time....changing settings one at a time is a pain but trial and error it is....

alright it was running fine. Then I just checked in CPUZ again and I don't know why, but it was set to 5-7-7-30

NOT GOOD. what happened?

All DDR2 1066 is set to run at DDR2 800 speeds by default, you have to manually set it. Looks like you got it up to DDR2 1066 speeds now, but you need to set your DRAM Timings now manually, In jumperfree configuration set the DRAM voltage first (2.0v or 2.1v for DDR2 1066), from there under cpu tweak and then see DRAM Timing Configuration, Go to DRAM Timing Mode and set to DCT0, there you will see like the first 5 items you need to set. It should just go down the line like 5-5-5-5-15 or whatever your timings need to be.

While your at it, If your running a Phenom II chip, go back to jumperfree configuration screen and set CPU Voltage to 1.325 if your running stock. Using Auto on my Phenom II has it running at 1.45 volt, more than you really need and might drop your temps a degree or few.

Also if running a Phenom 1 or 2, to to CPU Configuration under advanced, set ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration) to AUTO. now in Jumperfree configuration again under cpu tweak there is more features in Memory Configuration and a setting called DRAM Ganged Mode, set it to disabled.

Thats the thing though, I did set the DRAM timing manually to 5-5-5-18 like its supposed to be. then I got on today and it raised itself

Does it raise them in bios, you may need to up the Voltage, again the ram comes set to run at 1.8v which is good at DDR2 800 speeds, but won't run right at DDR2 1066 speeds until the voltage requirement is met.

I have to set mine to 2.0v but bought cheaper G.Skill that runs at 6-6-6-18

What is your ram specified at? If your not sure under CPU-z SPD will tell you the ratings for 533mhz

I think I might have upped the timing and THEN upped the voltage... because I set the times and the voltage manually last night. idr in what order though.

Back