reciever for computer?

hacktor2

Limp Gawd
alright so i have the Logitech Z-560's which are great computer speakers, i also have 2 external home theater speakers and i want to connect those speakers to my computer. So to do so I am thinking I will need a reciever. What I want to be able to do is select my comp speakers or the home speakers or both. My question is what kind of inputs and outputs do I need for this to work on a reciever?

my motherboard is a a7n8x deluxe
sound card Audigy 2 ZS

if your mobo has the soundstorm from nvidia I'd just hook up a digital component line and go straight to a digital component input on your recievers... I've got the maudio and it has a digital out on it that I do the same thing on for my htpc for digital 5.1 surround sound with my big screen :)

I also have used the headphones out with an adapter i bought from radio shack that goes from headphones to red and white outputs and then I use a regular red/white audio left and right connector to go from it to a reciever ... I actually use that for my built in wall speakers...

this is what my motherboard has:

Realtek ALC650 6-Channel CODEC
Integrated APU(Audio Processor Unit)
Dolby Digital (AC-3) Encorder
S/PDIF in / out interface

Use the DD Live of your nForce2 audio via SPDIF to your HT receiver. This will give you the option for 5.1 gaming and proper Bass Management, plus you'll be using the better DAC on your receiver.

If you plan on using the Audigy2, you will need to go analog, connecting it to the DVD-A / SACD inputs on the receiver, and using it in Direct mode. You'll need some 1/8" mini stereo to dual RCA adapter cables.

Doesn't the Audigy2 have a SPDIF out? If i remember correctly you just need a 3.5mm mono to RCA cable to connect to whichever output is the digital-out.

the options under my sound panel is:

Dolby Surround Encoding
Dolby Digital Encoding (checked)
Create Center Channel
Center Channel 3D Pan (checked)
Create LFE Channel
Rear Speaker Phase Shift

so all i have to do is connect the s/pdif on my motherboard to a input on my reciever?

corran_horn314 said:
Doesn't the Audigy2 have a SPDIF out? If i remember correctly you just need a 3.5mm mono to RCA cable to connect to whichever output is the digital-out.

SPDIF out only supports PCM stereo or DD/DTS streams. He'd have no multichannel gaming that way.

hacktor2 said:
the options under my sound panel is:

Dolby Surround Encoding
Dolby Digital Encoding (checked)
Create Center Channel
Center Channel 3D Pan (checked)
Create LFE Channel
Rear Speaker Phase Shift

so all i have to do is connect the s/pdif on my motherboard to a input on my reciever?

Yep, use either optical or coax digital connection to your Dolby Digital-capable amp and you are set. Set your crossover accordingly on your nforce control app.

Chastity said:
Yep, use either optical or coax digital connection to your Dolby Digital-capable amp and you are set. Set your crossover accordingly on your nforce control app.

If you can't tell, i'm a n00b when it comes to audio - how do i set my crossover accordingly? can i do this using the audioHQ app? orr NVIDIA nForce Control panel? haha Help!?

hacktor2 said:
If you can't tell, i'm a n00b when it comes to audio - how do i set my crossover accordingly? can i do this using the audioHQ app? orr NVIDIA nForce Control panel? haha Help!?

Yes, it's in the speaker settings tab, IIRC.

Someone ought to make something like this a sticky. There are even two threads right this moment on page 1, though the "home theater" one is about to go.

With audigy 2's you get three mini plug to RCA converters and put them into the analog feed on your amp, and turn on Bass redirection on your Sound card drivers.

Back