Recent Newegg HDD Packaging Quality

Southend

Limp Gawd
I need to buy a new hard drive now because the one i bought from newegg in MAY is now dying//dead with multiple bad sectors when i ran HD tune..

just wondering if anyone who has ordered from newegg recently (November range) or amazon dell and ZZF

how was your packaging? And im considering the 1TB WD Black Or SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB which ones would you guys buy considering the price difference?

their packaging sucks. The last (and truly last) hard drive I bought from them was in the usual OEM shrinkwrap, but just in a box of packing peanuts with the harddrive sitting at the bottom and the nuts on top. sigh...the drive had to be RMA'd back to Seagate.

I think now that they are a large online parts place they seem to have lost that customer satisfaction edge. Their shipping and prices are not much better than what I remember compussr having.

**Also Seagate sent it back the way it should have gone out from newegg in the first place. In the right sized box with a dedicated foam insert that fits a hard drive right in the center with foam all around.**

well that sucks cuz there arent really any more choices besides Dell

ZZF has the highest price and Amazon has a low price both have questionable shipping as well...

dunno wat to do...

I've never had any questionable shipping from Amazon, where have you seen that?

I just bought a 1TB Spinpoint F3 FROM ZZF, and a 750GB WD Black from Newegg.

ZZF shipped the F3 in a plastic clam shell, inside of a tightly fit foam surround, packed in a box full of peanuts.. (The best packaging I have ever seen for a hard drive)

Newegg shipped my WD black wrapped in bubble wrap, in a box full of peanuts. 1 side of the bubble wrap was completely popped and I could the the solid drive on that side.. good thing there were peanuts.

I would go with a F3... it's fast. here's a Crystal Disk Mark bench on it,

ZZF shipped the F3 in a plastic clam shell, inside of a tightly fit foam surround, packed in a box full of peanuts.. (The best packaging I have ever seen for a hard drive)

Newegg shipped my WD black wrapped in bubble wrap, in a box full of peanuts. 1 side of the bubble wrap was completely popped and I could the the solid drive on that side.. good thing there were peanuts.

I would go with a F3... it's fast. here's a Crystal Disk Mark bench on it,

awesome http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011440&prodlist=celebros

theres a Rebate for it as well making it 80$!!! after rebate great deal! but its farkin sold out! T_T

I'd like to get a couple hard drives from ZZF because they have what I want in stock and for a great price. But I'm hesitant because of the recent (6-month) user ratings on Reseller Ratings being very low (not that any of the negative user comments I've read had anything to do with poor packaging techniques), and because I've never purchased from ZZF before.

But your positive experience with ZZF is encouraging.

I'd like to get a couple hard drives from ZZF because they have what I want in stock and for a great price. But I'm hesitant because of the recent (6-month) user ratings on Reseller Ratings being very low (not that any of the negative user comments I've read had anything to do with poor packaging techniques), and because I've never purchased from ZZF before.

Do people have any recent positive experience with ZZF?

wow i just checked holy cow lol i might just go buy from newegg and hope for the best :mad:

Pretty soon there is going to be another negative review of ZZF on Reseller Ratings (mine). In the few weeks I have dealt with them, they have attempted to pull a bait-n-switch on me, deliver a dead drive, tell me AFTER I decide to do a return RMA that there will be a 15% fee then refusing to switch to an exchange RMA until I file a PayPal complaint, and now they are trying to prevent me from returning the drive now that PayPal has granted my claim for a 100% refund.

I am never shopping ZZF again.

Pretty soon there is going to be another negative review of ZZF on Reseller Ratings (mine). In the few weeks I have dealt with them, they have attempted to pull a bait-n-switch on me, deliver a dead drive, tell me AFTER I decide to do a return RMA that there will be a 15% fee then refusing to switch to an exchange RMA until I file a PayPal complaint, and now they are trying to prevent me from returning the drive now that PayPal has granted my claim for a 100% refund.

I am never shopping ZZF again.

i am sold by this

going to order from newegg... western digital just because they have better warranty and newegg's shipping blows arse and the drive has a high chance of dying :D

i wonder if i should wait till the 25th for BCB but they might jack up the pricing

Wow, those are some very bad pictures of amazon packaging. I've never had anything close to that, it's always been proper ESD foam insulation that's cut to size for the drive. I noticed that it said Frustration-Free packaging, so perhaps I'll stay away from those items. I also use Amazon Prime, though I think that's only effects the shipping. On the flip side amazon is great for returns; free return shipping and very easy self-initiated return process.

Last edited:
I had read the neg reviews on ZZF before buying the F3, so I was leery, but thankfully I had a positive experience.. and Newegg has always given me a positive experience.. just lacking a little in the hard drive packaging department.. Though I have never received a DOA drive from any company, so I guess Im lucky.

Anyways, just ran CDM2.2 on my WD Black for comparisons; The F3 is a little faster.

Wow, those are some very bad pictures of amazon packaging. I've never had anything close to that, it's always been proper ESD foam insulation that's cut to size for the drive.
Same here, all of my amazon hard drive packages have been great.

Also, my last newegg purchase had better packaging than in the past. All the drives were snugly bubble wrapped in their own box and all 4 boxes were inside a larger box.

Amazon Prime's HDD packaging is stellar. Black eggshell foam, each HDD gets its own box, with the box or boxes inside yet another box. Non-Prime orders must be treated differently.

Amazon Prime's HDD packaging is stellar. Black eggshell foam, each HDD gets its own box, with the box or boxes inside yet another box. Non-Prime orders must be treated differently.
Good point, all of my orders are via Prime.

ah so now amazon is discriminating are they!! :eek:

Ive never had a problem with amazon or newegg.

Just bought an SSD from newegg and it was packed great.

For $80/year, they better! :D

Lol at newegg the rich and the poor get Crap shipping!! ftw! :p

on a side note i picked up a 1TB green drive WD from newegg in september and running HDTUne and so far 4.5/5 done and still green even though the shipping was... subpar but still good i guess ill stick with what i know the egg

Where are you located? I've heard that the different Newegg warehouses pack them differently. Mine always come from NJ, and have always been wrapped very well with bubble wrap, then placed in a box full of peanuts. I've only ever ordered single drives.

I ordered a 1TB a few months ago and my X25-M last week from ZZF. The WD came in one of those foam box things (people here have posted pics of them before) and in a box with peanuts or air bags. The SSD came in Intel's box with foam cut to size, then inside a shipping box with air bags.

Where are you located? I've heard that the different Newegg warehouses pack them differently. Mine always come from NJ, and have always been wrapped very well with bubble wrap, then placed in a box full of peanuts. I've only ever ordered single drives.

I ordered a 1TB a few months ago and my X25-M last week from ZZF. The WD came in one of those foam box things (people here have posted pics of them before) and in a box with peanuts or air bags. The SSD came in Intel's box with foam cut to size, then inside a shipping box with air bags.

North Carolina, most of my stuff comes from TN, on rare occasion NJ

I live in MA and my packages from NewEgg usually come from NJ and the last 2 HD's I got (about a month or so ago) were in hard plastic cases, wrapped in bubble wrap and in foam packaging inside a solid box.

I was happy to see that sort of care considering some of the horror stories I've read here about badly packaged drives.

I ordered 7 hard drives for work a week ago, which shipped from memphis. They were in a huge hard drive container. Packed perfect. Every drive I have ever ordered from them (between 100-150 drives) has been packed fine. I've never had a DOA.

I stopped buying hard drives (platter-based) from NewEgg about 2 years ago due to increasingly pathetic packing practices as described earlier in this thread. Unless I was going to buy a retail version, which is effectively never... Anyway, my Newegg warehouse location is City of Industry, CA, which appears to be the most egregious for HD shipping, though I have heard it is hit or miss now, maybe getting better. I thought surely by know they would have (re)implemented improved guidlines for OEM HD packing, but if they have, they still haven't made it down to the order fulfillment folks.

BTW - I still get great service (and adequate packaging) to Las Vegas on everything else that I order through NewEgg... just still leery of ordering the onesy/twosy bare OEM HDs from them. Bulk service (10+ drives on one order) is still good... YMMV.

They pack the drives much better when it's a single drive ordered with another large item or two, that way there are less peanuts and the drives don't settle in transit. Unfortunately the newer better packaging isn't consistent so the bulk of my orders go through Dell/ZZF or if Fry's has a good sale and I need it quick I'll pay tax.

I once ordered a drive from fry's at 11:55pm and it was at the front door at about 10am the next day with free ground shipping, and well packed to boot.

Sounds like ZZF is better than NewEgg if you live in the City or Industry serviced area, like I do.

Unfortunately, "Prime" status has nothing to do with packaging quality (other than the speed at which you receive it). I ordered an ipod nano a few months ago from Amazon (prime) and my package had the ipod in it and TWO air bubbles. That's it. No bubble wrap, no foam, just two air bubbles. I took photos and emailed them to Amazon's shipping complaint centers, but all they said was that if the device wasn't working properly I should send it back.

Regardless, I'm still a huge Amazon fan. :)

When I received my SSD, it came in a small plastic bag, not even one with a bubbled interior. Sure, an SSD doesn't require the same consideration as a mechanical drive, but the only thing between the bag and drive was the thin cardboard walls of the tiny box it came in to protect it. I was like :eek:

Unfortunately, "Prime" status has nothing to do with packaging quality (other than the speed at which you receive it). I ordered an ipod nano a few months ago from Amazon (prime) and my package had the ipod in it and TWO air bubbles. That's it. No bubble wrap, no foam, just two air bubbles. I took photos and emailed them to Amazon's shipping complaint centers, but all they said was that if the device wasn't working properly I should send it back.

Regardless, I'm still a huge Amazon fan. :)

In their defense, are there even any moving parts in a Nano? They could probably just throw it to your house without any issues.

In their defense, are there even any moving parts in a Nano? They could probably just throw it to your house without any issues.

They don't have disks, but that doesn't mean something couldn't come loose inside the device itself... Would you want the cashier to drop or throw your ipod (even if it's NIB) on the floor right after you bought it at Best Buy (the equivalent of a nice 'n rough shipping adventure)?

all of this was chucked right out the window when newegg dropped the 45$ 640GB black drive bomb

My 2x 640GB Black's I got on BF sale came in yesterday. The packaging was superb. The drives were inside a smaller box with bubble wrap. This box was then in tons of peanuts. When I first got the box, I shook it and nothing moved. Ran DFT on both and they are fine.

Never had issues with Amazon or ZZF packaging either.

My 2x 640GB Black's I got on BF sale came in yesterday. The packaging was superb. The drives were inside a smaller box with bubble wrap. This box was then in tons of peanuts. When I first got the box, I shook it and nothing moved. Ran DFT on both and they are fine.

Never had issues with Amazon or ZZF packaging either.

Same, made two purchases on black friday from newegg, one was a hard drive with a bunch of other stuff, and the other was just a hard drive. In both cases, the hard drive was in a separate box wrapped with 3 layers of bubble wrap inside the main box. No way it was gonna suffer damage.

Just got my 2 2TB WD Greens from Newegg today. The box was very large, filled with brown paper with the drives placed in the middle wrapped in 2 layers of bubble wrap.

This is the best shipment I have received from Newegg with HDD's and I really appreciate the extra packing.

Back