Receiver & Speaker Options?

PinchedNerve

Limp Gawd
If you can make the room, I'd look at this and a receiver plus subwoofer of your own choosing.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I did the same thing last year, sold my Z5500 on eBay. I also owned the Z2300 and sold just the two satellite speakers for basically what I paid for the whole system years ago, kept the sub and control pod. Ended up buying a new receiver and speakers separately. I waited for deals and ended up getting:

Onkyo HT-RC360 - $285 (PC Richards)

Onkyo SKS-HT540 - $150 (Newegg)

Being that it's 7.1 speaker set, I use 5.1 in my living room and the spare 2 satellites for the sub and control pod from my Z2300. I can't believe I ended up upgrading from my 5 year old Z5500/Z2300 and not have to put any money into the new setup.

Here is the Onkyo system you linked but at Amazon for $350. Personally I spent a little more to get a better receiver. The new version of my receiver, Onkyo HT-RC460 was just $260 a couple weeks ago, I ordered one for the company I do projects for. For a $500 budget, you have more options.

If you want to buy now, I would go for this for a little over your budget but way better system:

Energy Take 5 Classic - $150

Klipsch Synergy 10" Sub - $170

Pioneer VSX-1022-K - $240 (Amazon has it for $250 if you want to order it from there)

I prefer a comparable Onkyo receiver but that Pioneer is better/has more options than the ones from the HTIB you linked. If you want to stay under budget, you could get a cheaper Polk sub for about $100 but the Klipsch is a pretty good deal.

If you go Onkyo for the AVR, keep those units cool. Of late I've been hearing of lots of HDMI Onkyo AVRs just smoking due to overheat. And needing RMA'd.

PS-OP, if you buy used, you'll get far more for your buck than an entry level AVR at the same pricepoint.

If you can make the room, I'd look at this and a receiver plus subwoofer of your own choosing.

Those Jamo's are horrible, I listened to a pair of the towers at Frys, build quality was really bad and they just sounded... shit.

I'd take the Onkyo HTiB over them and day of the week, the Onkyo's are actually better... And that is not saying much.

It's too bad too. Jamo used to be high-quality speakers, made in Denmark. They are now owned by Audiovox, which bought Klipsch, Energy, Mirage, etc, and will probably be destroying the quality of them all.

Back